Canon S100 or, alternative?

<p>I got the G12, friend got the S100. I love mine, he is not too thrilled about his. He says its slow...I don't know if he is refering to the lens or the speed at which you can go from turning on the camera to taking a picture. But I am very happy with the controls, the full or semi-auto controls are great for a seasoned or new user. The articulating screen is bright and working with a DSLR for many years I didn't think that this feature would come in handy, but is better then I would have imagined. </p>

<p>Tom </p>

I owe s100 quality is outstanding, low light performance very good also, what I love it's size, u can drip it into any pocket

and u won't notice it there, now what I really don't like is a battery life! Prepaid to get 2 more batteries with s100 because

for a day trip it won't be enough, especially if u have gps turned on and u record few hd videos! Wish it was much better.

<p>Good comment, Bill, but let's include the s100 in the comparison (see attached).</p>

<p>Also, is my memory correct that the LCD on the p7100 only tilting, not fully articulated? I know I use the fully articulating feature a lot -- much more than I ever imagined, just like Tom A, and the ability to easily get the camera into unusual positions (because of this) has really revitalized my "fun" photography.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>PS - Also, check out the P7100, as well as both the s100 and p7100 even at ISO 800 to the g12 at 1600.</p><div>00aJbs-460843584.jpg.3444f92550d936f6f68b3a1fe0f4a7f1.jpg</div>

That is correct, tilt but not swivel, which some like this better. The screen is larger than G12 with twice as many pixels, and the P7100 has in-camera panorama stitching. I just cannot imagine taking video of my kids without zoom capability. Did I say the G12 cannot zoom during video?

<p>Check out Imaging-Resource's review of the S100 (imaging-resource.com). They didn't have the problematic examples that DPReview had and their test is equally as thorough as DPReview's. Not that I want to change any minds about the G12; it's a fantastic camera. I loved mine, but for now I like the super-compact S100 a bit better because the size is more of an issue for me at the present time.<strong> Nate</strong>, you can't go wrong with the G12. I'm singing the praises of the S100 because I'm impressed by the capability packed into such a tiny package but the G12 is an outstanding camera. I would like for it to have the sensor that the G1X has but at the same G12 price. How cool would that be! A lot of this decision comes down to how the cameras feel when you are handling them. In real world use, I didn't notice much difference between the G12 and the S100, but I do think that the High-ISO performance of my S100 is slightly better than that of my G12, and as a landscape shooter, I like the 24mm. On the other hand, the articulating screen is wonderful, better than the tilt-screen of the Nikon (yes, I've used a P7100 on a couple of occasions--very nice camera!) and certainly more useful than the one on the S100 since that one doesn't move at all. Choices, choices...like I said, you can't go wrong with either camera.</p>

<p>I have been a user of the Canon S cameras since the S50, which I still have. I have had every one of them but eventually traded them in for some other piece of photo hardware. I have an S100 now (after having traded in the 95 for an NEX-5n, I decided that I wanted that format camera also). The S100/95 is the highest image quality <strong>pocketable</strong> camera; always shoot in raw and process with Lightroom. Yes, there are others with a better lens, or something else better but none are <strong>pocketable</strong>, and if the camera is not with you at all times, you will be sorry for missing that shot. The NEX-5n/Summicron 35/2 is pocketable but you need a large pocket, not a shirt pocket where the S100 feels right at home. Someone mentioned the lens is not sharp but I have not experienced that. I would bet that anyone would be hard pressed to pick out the S100 shots in my Flickr page from among the M3/M6/NEX-5n bodied Summicron/Zeiss lensed photos.</p>

<p>Bill, my point is that if you're comparing camera quality using the DPReview tool, you're wasting your time. I don't know what those clowns at that test center are up to, but my link is pretty well near center crop, how did DPReview get the G12 to produce better sharpness than those other 3? Their testing methods are highly suspect, and if they show that clear of a difference between Nikon's, Canon's, and Fuji's (previous) flagships versus a point and shoot, how can you draw any meaningful conclusions about anything else?</p>

Ariel what's happening in your DPR link is that the playing card is outside DOF for full-frame cameras. Move to the globe and the 1DmkIV handily wins. But generally speaking, compact cameras have approached DSLR quality at base ISO. For DR, and at higher ISO, the sushi hits the fan.