Olympus OM-G: A gift from Lauren

Mike Howard

<p>Lauren MacIntosh recently sent me a very nice condition OM-G he gave away here on photo.net. I just finished processing and scanning the first roll from it. It was a rotten day at the cemetery, no tripod and only slow lenses with APX100 film, but the metering appears to be very good. I only have 28/3.5 and 135/3.5 lenses for OM mount, having gotten rid of most of my Olympus stuff when I bailed on 4/3's. Now I wish I'd kept some more of it.</p>

<p>Here is a link to the pics...</p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhowardphoto/sets/72157628672816267/">Link</a></p>

<p>So, I need to get a fast lens for this camera, any suggestions? I'm thinking a 35/2.0 to start, if I can find one for less than $100 or so.</p><div>00ZoEl-429489584.jpg.8dcf9f0b1b0ccd7eb607b7c886b8b625.jpg</div>

<p>When I got my OM-1 MD (<a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00Y2PJ">link</a>), I first got a Zuiko 35-70mm f/4 Zoom and was surprised how decent it was. However, for my "fast" lens I ended up getting a Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f/1.8.<br>

Especially if I had a 28mm myself, I'd go longer for the 50mm faster lens, but different strokes...</p>

<p>I need to get out and shoot mine again, appreciate the reminder.</p>

<p>Unless you specifically want the fast 35, the 50mm f1.8 Zuiko is a great value. I snagged a new mint one on ebay a couple of years ago for 20 USD. If you can deal with less speed the Zuiko 35mm f2.8 (which I also own) is a good performer. You could probably pick up both the 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8 for under 100 USD.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, I think I'll order a 50/1.8 from KEH. 35mm is my preferred FoV, esp when just using the body and one lens on a walkabout, but you are right, the 35/2.0 does not go for cheap. $264 at KEH...may take a look at ebay and see what I can see over time.</p>

<p>Dang, this thread is proximally responsible for my buying a new telephoto Zuiko zoom lens. I went to KEH to look what things were costing now, and fell into the trap.<br>

I am curious to see what it looks like - it was incredibly cheap and was a BGN (bargain) lens.</p>

<p>My past experience has been that KEH is very conservative in rating, so I'm hoping it will be useable as stated. Cosmetics are not a concern to me in this case. I just like the OM so much and hadn't been shooting with it lately.</p>

<p>I got the a Zuiko 100-200mm f/5 for about $30 - couldn't resist the BGN. :)</p>

<p>The Mir site has a few words about it http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/100200mm.htm</p>

<p>With my 35-70 and the 50mm f/1.8 it's certainly a bargain kit for a camera that I coveted when it was new (admit it, I'm not the only one so motivated here or in CMC :)</p>

<p> </p>

I lucked into a Zuiko 50 f1.8 that came with an OM-10 at a local flea market. For $15, I was ecstatic to get the lens but later managed to fix the sticky shutter on the OM-10 from directions on the Internets. It's a fine lens, equal to the best fast fifties from any other marque.

<p>My Zuiko 100-200mm BGN lens came today from KEH.</p>

<p>I have no idea why it was a BGN grade. Looks and feels like a "new, old stock" item. Clean, edges of the focus ring pattern are sharp as a tack (no wear), no grime in the engraved white letters, etc.<br /> I'll get out and try it out and post later on. It's not supposed to be the best Zuiko ever, but my prior experiences with Zuiko 'bargain' lenses (original price, not KEH's rating) were very positive.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>KEH are very conservative with their Q-marks. To our benefit (Maybe they use the Tokyo scale where even the slightest blemish will render an item UG or BGN:). I bought a Zuiko 180/F2.8 classed as BGN last year and to me it looks and feels close to new. Same with a motordrive 2 that I also got. KEH rocks. </p>

• 4 weeks later...