wedding storage

savagesax

4 inch pods or pod like components. The idea is the client gets all of the pics, but they still must go through me

for enlargements. It's pretty much like giving out a DVD in low res, but on that type of pod. Needless to say the

$200 will sort of be included in the packages.

Any comments? Anyone already doing this, if so does it work?

<p>No one in my market is doing this. I've considered it but can't really see a way this is better than the conventional methods of photo delivery. Would it get you more bookings and would you get more print sales?</p>

<p> Bob when you say "pod" I assume you mean tablet. As in an Android or similar unit.</p>

<p>I've thought about this and wondered if it would really work. The couple will know of course that they are actually paying for it in the package price. So if you go as cheap as possible, to keep the cost down, will you come off looking that good. An iPad is far too expensive for this.</p>

<p>Peter's right. <br /><br />Better, perhaps, to put the contents on a collection of USB thumb drives (more than one, so there's redundancy). They're very cheap, so nobody is going to question whether you're marking up an expensive device when you deliver. And everybody can plug one into their laptop/desktop computer or (increasingly) right into their TV or other media streaming device for an instant slideshow, if you've got the data organized correctly.</p>

<p>I offer an iPod touch with the photos loaded and a playlist from their wedding as an optional add-on, and I've had a couple people comment that they thought it was cool, but nobody has taken me up on the offer. I currently have a DVD with my logo printed on it, and I use leather DVD albums that I can insert 2 printed photos in. I like the idea of a customized flash drive, although considering I've lost several drives in the past couple years, I'm not sure how safe it might be. I would also want to make sure the drive could be made read only.</p>

<p>What about storing/providing photos on a digital photo frame and providing that to customers? Although I've never had one or really been interested in them, I was just looking at one online that Kodak offers. It has a touch screen, holds 16000 photos, and photos are emailed to it via wi-fi. Koday PULSE Digital Frame / 7 in. $129.00.</p>

<p>I think what might be better than offering a tablet would be getting a customized gallery that is ready to show on a tablet. Many of our customers already have tablet devices, so they don't want another one and since the iPad is the most popular, anything you give out "free" is redundant. They just won't want it. Our main customer base is people under 30 who are getting married. This group is VERY connected and most likely already have a tablet.</p>

<p>When I was thinking about offering a tablet as a promo, after considering the options, I discarded the idea but found this app (<a href="http://www.stickyalbums.com/">link</a> ). I've gotten this and will use it this season although honestly I haven't had time to try the software yet.</p>

<p>I see this as an option you could use to sell to certain clients (like selling the DVD files) or as a free promo to get a booking or other types of incentives. Plus it appears that it will link to your web site and get you valuable traffic to a bigger market.</p>

<p>Your timing on the question is perfect. They are selling the app at a discount for 2 more days. (<a href="http://photodough.com/deals/stickyalbums_discount">link</a>)</p>

<p>Bob,</p>

<p>I simple give the clitets the high "res" images. What i tell them is they can go to any place they want to reproduce the image. I've covered my profit...and potential profit in my packages, which they choose. I also explain to them about color space etc.....and show them examples of how they differ.....and what they may end up with. They also have no recourse if it's not what they ordered.</p>

<p>I usually give them the files on gold DVDs...or now...thumb drives. But.....i do tell them that if they go through me for larger prints....they get the advantage of me going over the image with a fine tooth comb. Something their local Walmart....or Sam's...will not do. Also if there is a problem with the image....i take care of it. IMO if you try to force someone into going through you...instead of leading them to go through you...you run a risk.</p>

<p>You don't want to come off like your nickel and dimming them....and that's how some will take it...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>For $200 you could give them 100 8x10" printed images from mpix :-)<br /> I always hear people saying how much better the prints or printed album looks compared to images on the screen. This is from people that are not used to seeing prints as they never print anything themselves - only view images on facebook or their iphones or cameras.</p>

<p>Bob, I don't know what you use for proofing, but zenfolio has finally fixed up their site so that when viewed on mobile devices you can still see the slide shows (albeit without music) but full screen res. It's fabu. You can control the largest size image available if you are really concerned about people doing a screen grab. But I tend to put it on the res that allows it full screen since my packages include the royalty free reprint rights anyways. I think when you release the royalty free printing rights, you are going with a different business model than the traditional one where you are expecting much of your profit to come in the form of prints. Every bit of sales I get in prints I view as my bonus. My "salary" comes from the booking fee. I explain this up front to my clients as to why my packages might seem more expensive. Consequently, I have really lowered my prices of prints considerably. Strangely though, I originally sold my prints only a few cents over what mpix charged me, then I raised the price of my 4x6's to $2.00 and the bride and groom get a 50% coupon. I sell soooooooo many more prints since I raised it to the higher price. My husband said he thinks it's because people now assume it really is a better quality print. Who knows. But in a world where everyone and their brother wants the reprint rights, it's a business model that at least is working well for me. =)</p>

<p>Hi Bob,</p>

<p>I currently use a flash drive for wedding clients. I had about 50 made (couple years worth of supply for me) and they bear my logo. I use 8gb as I give high res images in jpg format. I love the "up to date" feel it provides and have not really thought about a client loosing it. I always recommend (in my contract and when sending the flash drive) that they make copies and store them with parents/online storage etc. Not sure if you can make them a read only, or burn once like you can with a DVD or CD though.<br>

It does cost a little more, but I feel its worth it.</p>

<p>On the Ipod idea: I considered it and decided not to as it is hard to have them made with a logo and it added too much to the cost for something that would not be dedicated as their wedding images. That is to say, I imagined the client would eventually start using it as their music device etc. My only other concern with the idea was that anything that is dependent on batteries is doomed eventually.</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>David, That never occurred to me (batteries) when I was thinking about this. But you are absolutely correct. If it's got batteries, at some point it's useless and with today's devices, that's probably 3 years or so.</p>

<p>Also, where did you get the customized flash drives from? Care to share a picture of one of yours?</p>

<p>Why don't you consider putting proof images on a cheap tablet for their review? A quick check of ebay stores shows a new 8" tablet with Android operating system for $86.00. You could offer the tablet, preloaded with images for sale at a modest mark-up, or do the same thing with a digital picture frame. As a kicker, you can offer the tablet free with a $XX.XX print order from them or their guests. Its all about marketing, so offering a tablet with an opening screen of your logo and contact info plus your discreet logo or watermark may help drive business to your site. Its also a great place to offer other options like coffee mugs, mouse pads etc with their favorite picture. Hopefully they'll take the tablet everywhere and show their co-workers, family, friends and anyone else who can stand, I mean wants to see their pictures. It will generate excitement, intrest and be in touch with the changing marketplace. Besides, once they take it home, you're much more likely to sell it than take it back.</p>