Kiev and KievUSA Don't do it!!!

jay___dallas_tx___

Well, I fell for the "Russian Roullette". Purchased a Kiev60 through KIEVUSA who supposedly do the quality control that is missing at

the factory. On this one camera the following problems occured

right out of the box:

<p>

TTL Meter didn't function at all.

DOF Preview didn't work.

Lens did not return to full open aperture after shutter fired.

Mirror did not always return to full down position.

Flare across frames.

Frame counter completely inaccurate.

Shutter did not fully close, streaking as film was advanced.

Lens appears extremely used, not new as claimed.

<p>

This junk is now on it's way back to KIEVUSA for a refund.

<p>

Don't fall for this line of BS. This camera is trash.

I ran 5 rolls of Tri-X through this thing the first day

just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.

Best bet is to stay away completely.

<p>

"If somethings too good to be true it

probably is."

<p>

Jay

Dallas TX

To reply remove SPAM from address.......

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Dear Gentlemen- I am sorry to hear of your problems with Kieb and KievUSA. I would like to report that I have two Kiev 88's from Kiev USA bought last August and they perform very very well. I have had nothing but excellent results from these cameras and the several lenses that I own for them. In my experience even the largest most technically advanced companys have an occaisional lemon, and my experiences with Kiev USA have been nothing but great.

• 3 months later...
I purchased a Kiev 88 kit from Kalimex and had a pleasant relationship with them. About 2-3 months and many rolls later, my shutter jammed. I contacted KievUSA. I also had "L" shaped light leaks from one of my backs. They did their basic service for $325 (about what I saved by buying from Kalimex) and since, everything has been fine.

• 9 months later...

Jay:

Sorry to hear about your trouble with Kiev USA. Have purchased a Kiev 88 from them back in 1995. Used often, and in extreme conditions, snow, desert, ocean with excellent and very reliable results. Also, they are number 1 on my list for service, as they do excellent repair work on my entire collection. Bought a Kiev 60 from a company that has long "bellied up". It was not working, and they overhauled "Russian Roulette". Works like a champ now! They have also worked on my Zenits, Zorki's, and Kiev 3-4's. I am suprised they have not made you happy! They have always been there for me.

Dean

• 2 months later...

This is pretty common for Kiev equipment at all: the quality of their equipment is really unstable. Sometimes you get a wonderful piece and have no any problems with it. But sometimes you get something really owful and the only thing you can do wi th it -- just to throw it away :(

And apparently KievUSA does not make any significant change (comparing to the change in price). Even buying Kiev equipment from them you still play the russian roulette and rely only on you luck...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jay:

You made the statement:

"Lens did not return to full open aperture after shutter fired. Mirror did not always return to full down position."

Comment:

The lens isn't suppose to return to full open aperture after the shutter is fired. Only after you wind the film (that cocks the shutter) should the lens aperture return to full opening.

Besides that, that's really an extreme experience you encountered. It's not that unusual for new Kiev owners to encounter some problem or another, but your unfortunate experiences take the cake. Something's fishy. Who knows, maybe the someone dropped it or tried to crush walnuts with it or something.

• 1 year later...