Banquet and Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

thomas_mulder

<p>Unless you are doing REALLY close ups of the food, it should be fine to keep it on. It acts as a nice protector of the lens especially if you don't have on a UV filter. If you are shooting really close up, you may get a funky shadow pattern from the speedlite's proximity to the hood. So if you are taking shots of the food up close, take off the hood. =)</p>

<p>That particular lens (IME) is especially sensitive to IQ degrading flare when used WO... Often it doesn't even need to be a particularly bright light source, but it depends on ambient, and reflected light and stuff... I'd keep it on unless, as vail said, you're getting REALLY close up. I've found that the hood often makes a significant difference in IQ.</p>

<p>I leave the lens hood on my 24-70 all the time, it has saved the front element from scratches on more than one occasion. As others have said, the only time it might cause a problem is if it was casting a shadow on something you were photographing. That lens doesn't focus close enough that you would be hitting your photo subject with the hood.</p>