Nature/Wildlife Recomended Starter Lenses for Elan 7

darin_larabee

It's always been my opinion that the "absolute" minimum for wildlife and bird photography is a 400mm. Maybe a used 400mm f/5.6 would be a good choice because other models will put you back beaucoup bucks. Another facet of nature photography is macro use. I think that you will find that the 100mm f/2.8 macro will open up all kinds of incredible photographic opportunities for you. IMHO. Cheers.

I agree with Alex on the 100 f2.8 Macro as a good choice.

As far as "big glass" goes, you could look for a place in your area that rents to professionals, and rent the lens you would like to shoot. Of course, you should expect to leave a hefty deposit on the goods. This is how I handle my big glass needs, as the largest lens I own (or want to own, for that matter!) is a 300 f4.

For landscapes, I would say to look for a 24 f2.8, or slower. Just be sure you have a minimum aperture capability of at least f22 (hardly ever a problem to find!) as the minimum aperture is a key player for good landscape shots. Zooms will work for landscapes, but I prefer a prime in this area for the DOF scale printed on the lens barrell.

Best regards -

If you are uncertain of what 2nd or 3rd lenses you 'might' need as a beginner - you don't need any yet. Shoot lots of film and develop a passion for photographing certain images. When you need a new lens, you will know it. If you haven't already, try shooting some slide film and learn more about the exposure process before accumulating more gear.

I'm with Patrick. Give it a few months before you decide. Figure out which end of the zoom range you keep bumping into. I think the 24/2.8 is a fantastic lens. You may never need it but really want to go longer. The canon 100-300 is a good quality budget lens for that (better than the 75-300 anyway). Maybe you'll find that 28-105 is just fine but you are often using the built in flash. In that case getting a 420 or 550 EX will help you much more than a new lens.

There are plenty of opinions on this web site. The most important one is yours. Take some photos and get a better idea of what you'll make most use of.

If you can´t afford the 400mm super telephotos, don´t be too sad. Many of us can´t. So what I recommend you is to get a new 100-300 USM or the 100-300 f/5.6L (which is better but discontinued) if you can find a used one.

Both will work out for wildlife, you just have to improve your techniques for approaching the subject. Plus, if you stack the lens with a close-up lens, you can shoot macro, too - at least to some extent...

all the best

-ott

For starters, ignore that bit about getting a 24mm or a similar wide angle prime if you want to do wildlife photography. Also, renting a lens may be an option every so often, but the cost does add up and you still dont end up with a lens of your own.

If you can afford it, a 300/4 would give you better pictures and allow you to use a teleconverter with it, giving you a decent 420/5.6. Look at some reputed mail order places for a used model, if you need to. Slight downside: no zoom. With wildlife, you usually dont have the luxury of being able to zoom with your feed. A second body with a different lens will compensate, and besides, unless you are in Africa, you will rarely find a 300mm to be too long. So this is your #1 option.

Otherwise, a 75-300 or 100-300 should be a good starting point. The 100-300 is supposed to be a smidge better than the 75-300, but the 75-300 has an IS trim. This lens will give you pretty damn good 11x14s, so dont be put off by what some people have to say about it. Yes, you will likely need a longer lens, but that can come later.

As your skills and budget expand, you'll realize a few truisms:

- it will never be long enough

- you never have enough money to get the lens you REALLY need

:)

I have some poorly-scanned photos (inexpensive flatbed, the bane of photos) from a recent trip to Africa online:

www.pbase.com/vkalia/

Anyone who says wildlife photography doesn't start until 400mm needs to go bowhunting and learn how to creep up on animals! Even with a 400mm the first time you hit the shutter those animals will be gone, they,ll here the mirror slap and say so long sucker! the 100 300mm USM is a great lens. I love mine, it gives sharp enouph images to for my 11x14 where I actually blow up past the frame to isolate one portion of the subject. You'll have a lot of fun and your wife may even give you some for not putting the house into hock for a lens. I paid $115 for mine on ebay with 4 perfect filters and a filter wallet. In fact I have bought ebverything EOS on ebay except my 28- 105. Because I wanted the USMII while ebayers were trying to dump their stock of the original version. Adorama is also a great place to shop. They want $239 for the 100-300 right now. I also agree on the getting the slide film and shooting enough to learn how to expose the film properly. Black and White also helps, especailly when you develop at home. You really get to see how you bung up when you pull the film off the spool and hang it for freinds and family to see it as it dries!