Canon Al Servo AF & Al Focus AF

victor_ng2

<p>AI Servo - The camera is tracking moving subjects.<br>

AI Focus - This is a combination of One shot and AI Servo. The camera expects both moving and non-moving subjects and switches between One shot and AI Servo according to the mobility of the subject. Personally, I don't like to give such a decision to the camera's brain so I never use this mode.</p>

<p>I'm sure that your user manual explains this much better.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>Victor,<br>

Yakim, has said it all in a nutshell.<br>

There are some great 'Learn Your Camera' videos from Canon themselves - Check out ~<a href="http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/"> Canon Learning Center.</a></p>

<p>Depending on your camera model , you might be misled to think that only the latest (most expensive) have this technology, but Canon's focus system is generically the same.</p>

<p>e.g. <a href="http://learn.usa.canon.com/dlc/search/search.spr?keyword=AI+Focus">AI Focus explained,</a></p>

<p>As above. I use AI Servo for moving objects such as children and other wildlife - this combined with having the focus set to one spot in the center gives good results for me. I use One-Shot focus for stationary objects and either use the center focus spot and recompose, or move the spot around to where I want it most accurately focused. I haven't found the multi-spot focus arrangements to be sufficiently consistently accurate. Depending on your camera model, you may also be able to set the sensitivity of the focus, and the speed of focus in the camera via custom function menus. </p>

<p>I use AI Servo all the time and have moved autofocus off the shutter release button and to the little AF button on the back of the camera. That way I can push the AF button to focus on the subject and then let go to hold focus and recompose. If the subject is moving I just hold the button down. I can also use a half push of the shutter release to set exposure somewhere other than the subject (or use the exposure lock button on the back).</p>

<p>I use AI Servo all the time and have moved autofocus off the shutter release button and to the little AF button on the back of the camera. That way I can push the AF button to focus on the subject and then let go to hold focus and recompose. If the subject is moving I just hold the button down. I can also use a half push of the shutter release to set exposure somewhere other than the subject (or use the exposure lock button on the back).</p>

<p>My understanding has been a bit different from what I read above, but if someone can show me an authoritative source, I'm happy to learn different. My understanding: Both AI modes attempt to predict the location of a moving subject at the time of exposure based on its detected motion. AI servo constantly AFs rather than waiting for you to click the shutter.</p>