My D90 turns off in the middle of a shoot, frequently....

richard_dulkin

<p>During a photoshoot the D90 will frequently turn itself off. There is no set time that it does this, it just stops working, with the info window going dark. This can happen while the camera is used to take photos as well as during playback of shots already taken. This does not seem normal. Have I adjusted this to do this without knowing it? Turning the camera off and then back on solves the problem, but it is getting to be pesky. <br>

It is being used in a studio setting, with strobe lights, and a Wein wireless system.; Camera is in manual mode and used with a D80 battery pack (not using AA batteries). Then with two batteries in the pack, say 98% on one and 67% on the other, the viewfinder and top screen show low battery. <br>

Any suggestions?</p>

<p>+1 Richard. Not a D90, but I've had this happen with a clone MB-10 with BOTH a D300 and a D700. Just disappears, lights out dead. Sometimes wakes up all by itself. Usually wakes up with slipping out the AA battery magazine and pushing it back in again, with a little speed.</p>

<p>I suspect the Power Management is not identical between the D90 and the D300/700, but suffers a similar problem with clone grips on some DSLRs. Unfair to call it a<em><strong> bug</strong></em> really. as it's objecting to a clone, not a genuine grip.</p>

<p>My genuine MB-D10 works just fine and I trust it all day, no hesitation to recommend it. Some clones work for people, but I'm not one of them.</p>

<p>Not sure whether yours is a genuine MB-D80, but if you fully charge a couple of genuine EN-EL3es and, with the grip removed, start shooting. You should get reliable battery meter behavior and 1000's of shots. If it still 'crashes' you got a problem.</p>

<p>Sounds like the problem myself and many other MB-D80 users have had. Camera has no power even with fully charged Nikon batteries on board. This apparently does not happen with the AA batteries, as the middle contact relays that Nikon batteries are in use. The middle contact in the camera body well needs to be moved in line with the other two. I don't have the URL right now, but search on "MB-D80 problems" in the Nikon Forum for further info. I just rectified mine today and so far it's working fine.</p>

<p>Ron</p>

<p>I have had a similar problem with my D300 for a couple of years now. I don't use a battery pack, but it will just die occaisonally and the battery indicator suggests a dead battery. However, either turning it off and on again works, or just popping the battery door open works. I guess either the power management system has a fault, or the battery contacts have become 'squashed' after years of use, and so fail to maintain contact.</p>

<p>In searching 'D300 firmware' in <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16149/kw/D300%20firmware">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16149/kw/D300%20firmware</a><br>

I get: <br>

D300 A/B:1.10 firmware update<br />Answer ID 16149 | Published 10/27/2008 02:56 PM | Updated 06/18/2010 03:39 PM<br>

Which suggests I have the current update. If anyone knows of another update or a fix for this battery problem, I'd love to know. <br />Thanks </p>