wft-e5 in a remote area

eduardo_barrento

<p>My experience with laptop generated ad-hoc is closer to 50ft, but I have not used the 7D and WFT specifically, also the WFT does not use 802.11n, it only uses the slower a/b/g protocols. File transfer is not fast, don't expect it to keep up with a 7D and RAW files at any range.</p>

<p>The really nice thing is you can get live view so you get a remote view through the camera.</p>

<p>I should clarify... 100M is my best guess based on <strong>my laptop</strong> for merely <strong>triggering the camera </strong>given that you have a <strong>reasonable line of sight </strong>between your laptop and the WFT<strong>.</strong> If you need liveview or to transfer files (or cannot establish line of sight) Scott's experience is more relevant as your bit rate is going to drop tremendously as a function of distance. </p>

<p>Of course, this all depends on your laptop (not all wireless is created equal), the amount of local RF traffic in your band, the line of sight between you and the file transmitter, and general atmospheric conditions. This is something you decidedly want to test before going into the field. If you find you aren't getting the range you need, there are dozens of different solutions you can try ranging from a battery powered router to a Wifi repeater, to an external antenna for you laptop. <strong> Again, this is something you should definitely test before going out as your performance will vary quite a bit depending on your equipment and conditions.</strong></p>

<p>Just as an example of how finicky wireless can be, I recently set up a new wireless router for a friend. Exact same router that I have... and for me, I can get good signal sitting in my car two streets over. For him, we couldn't get a reliable signal through three walls (and about 15M) in his garage. Of course, we got great signal strength from a couple of older 802.11g routers from several blocks away so go figure. Wifi is a curious beast that will always surprise you.</p>