Really strange shutter problem with Bronica ETRSi

charles_ma

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>I recently purchased an Exc. condition ETRSi off craiglist. Today I went out to test it and found that it has a strange shutter problem. I found that the shutter does not fire from time to time with the combination of cable release and mirror lock up. The shutter fired with cable release and mirror down, or with shutter button in the front and mirror up. The only combo that has problem is cable release and mirror lock up and the shutter won't fire for about 50% of time. In these problematic cases, returning the mirror lock up level to the "off" position triggers the shutter. I tried with film back on and off and that does not make much difference.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, since I mainly shoot landscape, 99% of time I am using cable release and mirror lock up when I take the shots. <br>

<br />I am wondering if anyone here experienced similar problems in the past and could give me some tips on what is wrong with this body. Also, any recommendation of a repair shop for Bronica cameras?<br /><br />Many thanks!</p>

Hi Charles

Mine did that for a bit, it is because the cable realease does not move the internal mechanism as far as pressing the body release does. The problem is in the lens not the body, when the mirror is up the two shutter release arms are moved from their normal position and the release does not then move quite far enough to reliably trigger them.I had mine go wrong in the days that Bronicas were still being made and they replaced the shutter unit to fix the problem. It must have been a reasonably common occurrance as when I complained about the cost they agreed to do just for the cost of the parts, free of any labour charges. If you have just bought it and you really need the mirror lock up then I would send it back and find another, otherwise you could look for another lens but that may also be affected in the same way.

Simon Platt

<p>Thanks, Simon. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to return the camera any more. I actually had the lens for a longer time, it worked in the past on another body I have. I will give it a try to put the lens on the older body and also put a different lens on the new body to see whether the issue is lens or body related. Will report back with finding tonight.</p>

<p>Best wishes!</p>

<p>Thanks, Jeff. Actually I think I have found the cause of the problem. It turns out that it may be just a battery problem. I put a different lens on this new body and had the same problem. I then realized that I didn't do the most basic procedure of a camera repair, replacing the battery. I put in a new 6v Silver Oxide battery and tried firing the shutter with cable release and mirror lock up with either lens. And the problem is gone!</p>

<p>The old battery in the camera is a lithium battery. Not sure if it is the right type for the camera. Silver Oxide batteries are a the safer bet for these old cameras, I guess. It is strange that the battery has the power for the shutter with all other combinations other than cable release + mirror lock up.</p>