Copal#3 Problem with Ebony 45SU?

mark_tucker2

I had a Copal3 mounted onto a Linhof board for my Ebony 45SU.

I notice now though that the fstop lever hits the bottom metal

board-holding plate as it turns. It only has room to go from 2.8 to

about f11; no further.

See photo:

http://www.marktucker.com/temp/copal.jpg

Are there "spacers" or anything similar to get some more room?

Or is the Copal3 just so large that I'm stuck with this?

Thanks, MT

http://www.marktucker.com<div>0047fy-10401184.jpg.712924a76a90b34ae6b7e74065dd90f0.jpg</div>

As supplied from the factory the Copal #567 version of the #3 shutter (the usual style) has a two piece retainer made up of a spacer and a threaded retainer. In thin large lensboards the spacer is used behind the lensboard. In thick wooden lensboards the spacer is omitted. It can be placed in the front of the lensboard in cases such as the Technika type lensboard so as to distance the shutter from the board and allow the iris control to turn.

SKG

I have one lens with a Copal 3 that I use on a Linhof board with my Ebony 4x5. The shutter came with a spacer which goes between the shutter and the lens board. My setup works perfectly. Check to see that the lens is mounted correctly. It is possible to mount the lens with the spacer inserted incorrectly, which puts the shutter right up against the lens board.

Mark,

I've been thinking about trying some older lenses in Copal 3/Ilex 4, and wondered if there was a clearance problem (I have a similar camera). Searching archives found 1 response on 1 thread that indicated a spacer would help some shutter parts clear the front standards on some cameras using Technika boards.

Anybody got any experience with a Ilex 4 on similar cameras?

Thanks!

Steve