Plustek OpticFilm 120

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Not sure where you heard the July date. My guess is that it was from one of the support groups at Plustek. We have not officially announced it but we are looking at a September availability. The last I heard is the SilverFast has been integrated and production has started.<br>

We will have images when we make the formal announcement. Around the same time as the announcement, you should see pre-order pages at many of the on line photo retailers.<br>

Let me know if you have any specific questions. markdruziak (at) plustek.com<br>

Mark </p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

<p>In my opinion the world was not short of "OK" photo scanners. Look no further than the Epson line of flatbeds with tranny adapters. What the world lacked after the passing of the Coolscan 9000ED was a properly "enthusiast" GOOD film scanner for under $10,000. I sincerely hope this OpticFilm 120 is that. If it is, it will be more than worth the $2000.</p>

<p>Sam</p>

<p>Someone just posted this on another forum that I read:<br>

http://www.slideshare.net/mdruziak/plustek-opticfilm-120-product-introduction<br>

<br />It's an interesting presentation. I would guess it's aimed at either internal marketing folks, or it's intended for distributors and resellers.</p>

<p>One thing I noticed, though, is that they totally messed up the design of the rear cover. It looks like there's no way to leave it plugged in to power/USB *and* close the rear cover. Putting the hinge above the USB and power ports would have been a much better idea. Not really a deal-breaker, but kind of a dumb design for a clever feature.</p>

<p>..."<em>So the scanner reaches 4.01 dynamic only by performimg a double scan? (that's also mean increased scanning time). What level does it reaches after first pass? Around 3.2?</em>"...<br>

Could someone from Plustek (<strong>Mark D</strong>..?) please provide clarification regarding this rather important (and unexpected) issue. Doesn't sound correct, but if it was I sold my 9000 ED too soon.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Sorry Mark, but I have to be persistant on the above <em>issue</em>..! B&H is showing the scanner for +/- $ 2000,- with end of September availability. That's in a few days. (Can you confirm..?) I for one wouldn't dream of ordering the unit until these <strong>tech specific infos</strong> are clarified. Claro.</p>

<p>Wolf, if the Dmax issue was critical to me, I would actually wait for some real-world tests and perhaps comparisons to other scanners. I for one can't read much into Dmax this and Dmin that and decide if that's what I'm going to like... For me it's more like, how will my 6x7 Velvia scans look compared to my current Coolscan 8000, for example.</p>

<p>Well, my point is that even if you know the Dmax value you need to be able to compare it. Most of us are coming from an older scanner model that we were not completely satisfied with; otherwise we would not be lurking here in the OpticFilm 120 thread. For example, I have a Coolscan 8000. I know what Nikon advertises as the Dmax value. I don't know how they measured or calculated it. Even if I knew how the opticfilm has measured their Dmax value, I still don't know How Much Better it is than my Coolscan, because I still don't know how Nikon measured/calculated their Dmax value. However, by taking my Velvias and scanning them on the Opticfilm, I will know in a way that is actually useful info for me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>..."<em>Give me some time to talk to the R&D team to see what measurements were done</em>."... That was some 10 days ago. No more trumpets. B&H pushed back earliest delivery dates by a full month, while Mark D. seems to have fallen silent. Even worse, as of today no mention of the new model at the <strong>SilverFast</strong> web site...I should've known better. Sounded too good to be true. Been there, seen that. Once too often. Smart of you, Toni N., to have held on to the 8000 ED. I will have to scramble now to find another 9000... <br /> Trusting is as trusting... And so on. Ouch.</p>

<hr />

<p>I apologize for this delay. Scanners were delivered to Plustek offices in the US and Germany this week. I have been doing some testing and I'll post results on our Facebook page and our blog for those of you without Facebook. I am going to be on the road most of October so I really wont get to post tons of samples (or frequently update this forum), but hopefully there will be enough to give you an idea of what the scanner can do. I don't think SilverFast will mention the scanner until their software for the OpticFilm 120 is available for download. The dynamic range question will be answered but to do it right now would take resources away from launching the scanner and cause a further delay. If you have specific questions please feel free to send me an email: markdruziak at plustek dot com. Thanks for your understanding.</p>

<p>All quiet on the Plustek <em>fron</em>t... After <em>waves</em> of <em>first excitement</em>, no one here seems to be interested anymore. The fact that B&H has since removed the previously announced first <strong>date of availability</strong> doesn't bode too well either.<br>

I am now in the silly position of having to cover miles to get some slides scanned at a service lab. That'll teach me.</p>