SB R200 Samples?

keith_burdett

<p>Hi Keith,<br>

I have the system. I dont use it a lot, but when I do, I like it.<br>

Attached 2 photos of the same flower, shot at the same time. The litted one was done with the 2 R200's mounted on the lens (Nikkor micro 105mm 1:2.8) in 1000 and 2:00 (1400), while the darker one was with one 200 at the 1000 location (very weak lite, I dont remeber how much) while I held the 2nd 200 bellow the flower to lighten the inside.</p><div>00a2Un-444009684.jpg.87957a4df9ba548b7303d5f52f2db5ef.jpg</div>

<p>The example above shows me that I need to diffuse the light from the flashes, otherwise they show up as patterns on the eyes of insects. The kit does come with two diffuser options, and I don't know what's the best way yet. More practice needed. This was just the first day, immediately after buying the kit in Singapore, straight to the Botanical Gardens. Had a lot of fun. <br>

Next example shows the problem of being in an interesting position for the subject. </p>

<p>The example above shows me that I need to diffuse the light from the flashes, otherwise they show up as patterns on the eyes of insects. The kit does come with two diffuser options, and I don't know what's the best way yet. More practice needed. This was just the first day, immediately after buying the kit in Singapore, straight to the Botanical Gardens. Had a lot of fun. <br>

Next example shows the problem of being in an interesting position for the subject. </p><div>00a3AO-444719584.jpg.90338557015fa1a9cacbded4d176012c.jpg</div>

<p>In the next one, the fly often jumped as the infra-red light from the commander unit seemed to startle it. Lots of shots were necessary. I then hoped to get it in flight, but juggling the shutter speed to freeze motion and aperture for depth of field proved too difficult in this circumstance. Also, a 200 mm lens, rather than the 105 mm, would have been better. It's too small and the image cropped too much. There's a lot of variables that open up once you start using the kit. </p><div>00a3AX-444721584.jpg.1ec7d08a134918afa08b10bb2bdfcfaf.jpg</div>

<p>The next one also shows problems of trying to balance several variables, although I'd never get close to these shots without the R1C1 kit, so it's not a complaint, just an opportunity to learn more and do better. The flashes have illuminated the antennae, but over-exposed the flower petals. The shutter speed is too slow to bring out definition in the insect's legs. I'm not sure yet how I'll do it differently, but for sure I'll be out there again trying. I've only had it a few weeks. </p><div>00a3Ae-444723684.jpg.51b9d8fe4a0b5ddf65e10c656183a17f.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you Shane. Your results show what a versatile piece of kit this is - of course with it's own learning curve! My current system uses a 180mm macro lens with a single sb800. It's good but very bulky. I'm thinking of the R1 kit with Tamron 90mm to complement the existing rig and make it easier to take macro kit on walkabout.<br>

Can you comment on the handling of the kit at all? Your examples show a nice balanced light which is what I'd have hoped for...</p>

<p>The commander unit helps with being able to modify and distribute the light between the two small flash units. I was unsure whether to get it too, meaning the R1C1 kit, or just the R1 kit, without the commander. A couple of things to note here - some of the reviews I read said that using the on-camera flash to trigger the lights will startle insects more, and the commander cuts down on this interference with the subject. This means I would have had more problems with my third photograph above if I did not get the SU-800 commander. Secondly, from the commander, you can easily dial in ratios to distinguish the light between the two flashes. I found that necessary while needing to work quickly with moving subjects. Get the whole kit, R1C1, instead of just the lights, R1, if you can afford it. You'll get many more usable shots. </p>

<p>The problem with the bulk comes out in the second photo, with the bee trying to get nectar and the flower's stamen hit its back. I had stuck my lens, with the flash units, somewhat into a bunch of plants, and the bulk of it stopped me from moving around as much as I would have liked, hence the problems with the composition. Lens alone, I would have been more manoeuvrable, but without the flash units, I wouldn't have had enough light, so would have missed the shot anyway. Adding on the diffusers is more bulk, which I found too much to manage on my first outing with it. You'll have to choose when it's best to use the diffusers, and get used to the extra space the flash units take around the lens. </p>

<p>For practice at home, see this helpful video, which helped me decide that the bulk of it is worthwhile. It also shows that anyone could make smaller diffusers. </p>

<p>Testing for a project – The Nikon R1C1<br>

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2009/02/03/testing-for-a-project-the-nikon-r1c1/</p>

<p>Anyway, don't skimp on getting the smaller kit - the commander unit's usefulness for insect photography outweighs its bulk and cost. </p>