Nikon memory card capacity

steve_stark1

<p>The problem with memory cards is that they are updated very rapidly. For any digital camera that is more than 2, 3 years old, whatever cards they were tested with when the camera was introduced a few years ago are no longer current.</p>

<p>The D300S should be compatible with all Type 1 CF cards (althought it cannot take full advantage of the speed of the latest CF). For SD, the D300S is comptable with SDHC but not SDXC. (The D7000, however, is compatible with SDXC.)</p>

<p>Joel, the D300s DOES take an SD card. Shun already correctly answered this. The D300s is limited to SDHC cards and lesser, which gives it a maximum SD card size of 32 GB. With CF, you don't run into the size limitations, so the sky's the limit, which means 128 GB. Steve, are the 16GB and 32GB cards filling up that fast? Photographers usually recommend running multiple smaller cards and carrying a card wallet instead of one big card, which in the event of corruption means that you lose ALL of your photos. Also, empty those cards as often as possible onto your computer, every time you come home.</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I realize this is really old, but since Nikon hasn't (arguably) made an update to this camera since then, and since people may use a search engine and find this thread (such as me), I wanted to add some useful information:<br>

In short, the D300S *can* use an SD card with capacity greater than 32GB (that is, it can use an SDXC card). The real limitation for the D300S isn't SDHC, it is the file format which must be FAT32. I am for example right now using on my D300S a SanDisk Extreme 128GB (Class 10 U1 45 MB/s, SDXC I), formatted FAT32, 128GB, with several thousands of RAW pictures stored on it (and backed up!).<br>

You can format the card on the D300S (it was shipped exFAT format), however it will format it FAT32 and limit the capacity to 55GB (if I recall-- it's been awhile). To get the full capacity, you must format it another way. Unfortunately many formatting tools (such as Windows) will not format a card > 32GB in FAT32 (it will format exFAT, which D300S doesn't understand). To allow the D300S to access the additional memory you must format the card with a 3rd party tool that will format the card FAT32. One example is at this link:<br>

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm<br>

Enjoy your new capacity!<br>

K</p>