Lens for San Diego Zoos and Sea World

green_photog

<p>I'll bring a 5D and 70-200 f2.8 for my trip. But I can also rent the 100-400 for about $110 for a week. Do you think the 70-200 is long enough for my trip to shoot animals? I don't mind cropping a bit if the lens is not long enough. But if the 100-400 is a must then I am willing to pay $110 to rent it. Thanks.</p>

<p>I would personally recommend renting it. I have a Canon 7D and use a 350mm commonly and that is sometimes not long enough for me on a crop camera at zoos near me. If you can afford it, it is really not that much cost to add to the overall trip (it is less than a night in most hotels). </p>

<p>My recollection is that in the Zoo most of the time my 200 was enough. The exception were mostly large birds that tend to perch far and high, but also behind a fence, so the pictures aren't that great anyway. In Seaworld the 200 prime was a bit long at times, for example for the killer whales, which, being whales, are huge :). I don't remember wishing I had a longer lens there.<br>

Bring a good raincover for the camera and raincoat for yourself if you want to be close to the action at Seaworld - part of the killer whale and dolphin shows is <a href="http://www.peterlangfelder.com/Travel/2010-12-Seaworld/2010-12-Seaworld-33366.htm">splashing the stands</a>. The animals can send surprising quantities of water surprisingly high into the stands.</p>

<p>The 100-400 would be a good choice for the Wild Animal Park. I don't think the ultra-wide will do too much for you at the Wild Animal Park (or Zoo Safari or whatever they are calling it this week).<br>

If you are going soon to the WAP, winter is great because the animals are out and more active during most of the day. If you like to photograph waterfowl the lagoon is great for both the captive exotics and the native non-captive birds. They are there for the free food and are very approachable, and at this time of year their plumage should be in good shape.<br>

As Peter said, be very careful with the shows at Seaworld with your camera. We sat far back at the dolphin show and still got soaked. Our camera was protected so it was fine, but I never thought the water would reach us...</p>

<p>At Sea World in San Diego, my most used lens was the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS. Actually, it was the only lens I used. For the shows, I was restricted as to where I could sit as my wife is in a wheel chair. We were usually high up and far away, but with this lens, I had just enough reach for what I wanted. It was also, at 70mm on 5D MkII, wide enough for anything I wanted.<br>

Rent the 100-400 and stick a 28 or 50 prime in your pocket just in case. Probably won't need them but I haven't been to the San Diego Zoo in a long time so there is a possibility there.</p>

<p>I was in both with 5D+24-105/f4. For the Zoo was certainly not enough. For SeaWorld it is OK(be not too close to the splash. 70-200 is comfortable). For the Zoo - 100-400mm is preferable choice. I could take pictures of baby-gorilla, baby-elephant (in Safari Park), playing apes, but was very zoom-limited. So I took mostly video with x20 zoom</p>