Phase One H10 Laptop question

martinangus

<p>I noticed the Phase One manual for the H10 states that laptops MUST always be connected to the back via Phase One's portable solution...ie, belt power pack?</p>

<p>So, that was written when laptops were not expected to provide power from the firewire cable (I assume).</p>

<p>My question: "Has the technology improved that I can buy a more current laptop that will connect direct to the phase one digital back?</p>

<p>What are other phase one H10 users doing in the field?</p><div>00a1rC-443255584.jpg.84e00892c62e37c63713f30fb62e7b91.jpg</div>

<p>In fact, the laptop was expected to provide power for the back (or you need an external power source while being connected to a laptop). Most new laptops won't even have firewire 400 that these backs require. From what I've heard, most older PC laptops with FW400 did not provide enough power for these backs. My 'old' white Macbook (4,1) does provide enough power, as should the previous gen. Macbook Pro's. You can get either of these for a song.<br>

These backs require a)power from a laptop, and b) to be tethered to a laptop running Capture One. </p>

<p>Not much to show...just buy a 12v CCTV battery and splice it to a 6-pin 1394 connector. Just make sure you get the wiring correct... ;-)<br>

You can either plug it into one port if you have two, or get a power injector connector that puts it inline.</p>

<p>I think Chris is talking about a Mac setup. I'm not sure any PC laptops have powered 1394...most don't have 1394 at all. But I also thought the 4-pin connector couldn't handle power. After all, that's what the 2 other pins are for.</p>