Nikon 5000 Producing Incomplete Scans on Slides

<p>I have been scanning some slides on a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000. Suddenly it began scanning only a small strip of the slide, not the complete slide.</p>

<p>Here's the situation.</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Rebooted </strong>since I had a lot of things open. Problem persisted.</li>

<li><strong>Powered the unit off and on</strong>, then restarted Nikon Scan 4.</li>

<li><strong>MA-21 slide mount adapter has problem.</strong> The problem showed up first on the MA-21 slide mount adapter. I had scanned a number of slides just fine, then suddenly every one began having the problme.</li>

<li><strong>SF-210 slide feeder has same problem.</strong> I inserted the SF-210 slide feeder and the problem shows up on each slide fed.</li>

<li><strong>SA-21 strip film adaptor </strong><em>does not have problem. </em>Strip film scans just fine.</li>

</ul>

<p>Any idea what might cause this, or how to fix it?</p>

<p>Dale</p>

<p>Well Dale, before calling Nikon's tech service dept. U might want to study an older posting here: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Unn8<br>

It would be of interest to know if U installed updates or conflicting sw in <strong>your OS</strong> (..?) recently. Try scanning, as a free trial download, with VueScan. If the trouble persists U'll most likely have to send the unit to a Nikon service facility.</p>

<p>Dale,<br>

Are you sure the crop box square shown on the preview window(dotted lines) is not set to scan only a small section? When you reset the crop margins, select settings, then "set user settings".</p>

<p>If you have a spare USB cord, try replacing the one you are using.(long-shot but worth a try.)</p>

<p>Though the older posting didn't solve this particular problem, it was informative, so I've bookmarked it.</p>

<p>It turns out the problem was with the crop box. I never use the Layout section on slides since I use the slide feeder. I only use it on strip film to rotate the image properly since I do all my actual cropping in Photoshop or Lightroom. It never occured to me to think that the crop box might have been changed inadvertently since I never purposely touch it. Yet that seems to be exactly what happened. So much for forgetting it's there.</p>

<p>Thanks much for both posts!</p>

<p>Dale</p>