So what is your take on the new Pentax K-01?

joshroot

<blockquote>

<p>You should try out the one in the A65/A77/NEX-7 cameras. It's pretty impressive and for me more useful than an OVF.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1 same here and I have used all kinds of OVFs. As for the new pentax, I would be much more interested, if I had pentax lenses. That would be a *big* draw...</p>

> [K01 is useless] with any long lenses - you cannot handhold and focus without a viewfinder.

I mostly agree (I can handhold and focus my 360mm crop-equivalent P&S, but not precisely frame) however this does not negate my statement, which is absolutely true:

The K01 has the best lens lineup of any mirrorless camera - thousands of Pentax lenses, perhaps hundreds that autofocus. Only Sony SLT has a lens lineup that is remotely competitive, and those have a translucent mirror, so I'm not sure they qualify as mirrorless.

The Pentax 17-70/4 is a stunningly great lens at a surprisingly affordable price. Not sure how it performs on the K01, but it has supersonic motor so it might autofocus quickly. Body + batteries + lens = 1046 grams.

<blockquote>

<p>The K01 has the best lens lineup of any mirrorless camera - thousands of Pentax lenses, perhaps hundreds that autofocus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What? There aren't thousands to begin with. Just ~250 models over 37 years of manufacturing (including manual focus models as well as redundant models), out of which only 28 are currently in production. Pentax is in the unique situation where a third party manufacturer produces more lenses than they do - Sigma has 36 models in production. And Zeiss and Voigtlander have already abandoned the mount. So much for those thousands of lenses and hundreds of AF ones - 28 is all you get! Hit ebay and work on your negotiating skills if you want to get more - that is the value proposition of the Pentax lens lineup! Pentax needs to get their lens lineup back in order before they can pitch its awesomeness at the crowds.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Only Sony SLT has a lens lineup that is remotely competitive, and those have a translucent mirror, so I'm not sure they qualify as mirrorless.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They are not SLRs either, although they are close in body size. You may not call them MILC, but they're EVIL and that's not SLR - I just had to get those acronyms out of my system.</p>

<p>And you seem to ignore the MFT line which, while just a couple of years old, covers a wider range of FOV in first party lenses than the Pentax K-mount lens lineup does after 37 years of existence. Oh, and now MFT is supported by more third party manufacturers than Pentax is.</p>

<p>Pentax produces top APS-C DSLRs. But they have nothing going for them in the MILC world (yet) other than this tired sales pitch about their lens legacy that you are recycling without examining it closely.</p>

• 10 months later...
<p>How things have changed in 10 months. The K-01 is now said to be discontinued and is at the close out price of $316 for the body only. At this price it is selling fast and BHPhoto has had to restock it several times. Those who have a k-01 seem to love it and are asking for a K-02. Since the K-30 seems to be drawing more excitement than the K-5II, what will the next 10 months bring?</p>