Forum name change due to mirrorless onslaught!

joshroot

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Anything that doesn't fit anywhere can always go into Casual Photo Conversations.</p>

<p>If we had a ton of Contax ND chatter, I'd be more concerned about finding a more specific place for ND discussion. But despite the fact that it is a very interesting camera, there are not a lot of threads about it these days.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Will the mirrorless forum be merged with the four thirds forum? They seem to be overlapping.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not at this time. People are welcome to post either place. We will see how everything shakes out as far as activity and what people seem to prefer. As you can see on various threads regarding the issue, there are some people who wanted a central place for mirrorless talk and some who wanted more system-specific forums.We'll just see how it all goes and change as needed.</p>

<p>One thing to remember is that a forum with no activity is worse, as far as attracting people and building community, than no forum at all. A dead forum turns people off and sends them elsewhere. Which is why I prefer to wait until there is a critical mass of interest in a topic before making a new forum.</p>

<p>Regardless of all the apparently good reasons to call this the "mirrorless" forum, I don't think I'll spend much time here. I'm interested in mirrorless SYSTEM cameras (MILCs, CSCs, EVILs, whatever you want to call them). Those with interchangeable lenses and other accessories. Micro 4/3rds, Nikon 1, Fuji X, etc. I have little to no interest in Canon S95s, G1Xs, Panasonic P&S cameras, and the like, and NO interest in wading through hundreds of posts about P&S cameras to find the posts dealing with MILCs.<br>

In common industry usage, mirrorless cameras are a completely different genre than P&S cameras, and mixing them up in one forum shows both a lack of understanding of where the industry is going and what users want to see.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>and NO interest in wading through hundreds of posts about P&S cameras to find the posts dealing with MILCs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Where are you seeing these hundreds of posts that you have to wade through? Surely not on the forum index page. Out of the 70 or so posts on that page, I can see fewer than 10 that appear to have anything to do with p&s cameras. And all of those appear to have been posted prior to the forum name change. As I've said a couple of times on this thread, we don't get a lot of P&S discussion on photo.net. I expect that this forum will predominately be about system cameras with a few discussions about the higher end fixed lens cameras. If for some reason we see a rash of "what $100 p&s camera should I buy for my kid's birthday" threads, then we will find a different spot for them. But based on my many years with photo.net, I don't really expect that to happen.</p>

<p>Of course no site can suit everyone, and I understand that. But the best way to ensure that this forum takes off and is filled with interesting discussion would be to post here. If everyone says "oh well that's not exactly what I want" then there can't ever be the kind of discussion people claim to be looking for. Given the fact that there is no way to please everyone (look at the differences in opinions on this thread alone as to how mirrorless system cameras should be organized), I ask that people put there own personal opinion of a "perfect world" aside and give this forum and community a chance.</p>

<p>I am really excited by the transmogrification of this forum. What was the old name--? Mirrorless cameras are the wave of the future and I predict that by the end of the decade they will be dominating the camera market. The DSLR may become obsolete--replaced by the full frame Mirrorless. <br>

I recently got an Olympus E-PL1s. I am thrilled by this M4/3 camera in spite of its limitations. I can use all my heritage lenses on it, from Canon FD to Pentax 110. And I've gotten one Cine lens for it. </p>

<p>I hope this is going to be a lively forum with POWs and lots of gearhead chat. </p>

<p>(Of course, film will never die.) </p>

<p>I am glad that Photo.net finally got a mirrorless category, and I understand why it was a merger of ALL mirrorless types, to preserve search engine ranking, but it's a bit of a disappointment for me. </p>

<p>I'd been using Nikon DSLRs as my primary cameras for the past 7 years, with a P&S backup as my "take everywhere" camera. I never would have posted in a BB about the P&S, since there is not much flexibility in what you can do with them in a variety of situations. They have good IQ, are very easy to use, and work well when size is a major consideration, but they don't allow the kind of adaptability or low light performance that you can get with an interchangeable lens camera. Given all of those compromises, I'm not sure what I would have had to say about them on a forum. </p>

<p>This past year I have switched over entirely to M43 from both the Nikon and the P&S, and I am quite happy with the results. I have become a regular poster to another forum dedicated to M43, and was very surprised when I looked up Photo.net for a similar forum, and found there was none. So, when I got the notice that there was now a mirrorless forum here, I was delighted. I assumed it would be a merged Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera forum, since MILCs have more in common with each other than they do with P&S cameras, and it would be nice to interact with more than just M43 owners on an MILC forum, without the turf wars that seem to happen when things are divided by brand.</p>

<p>So, imagine my surprise when I visited, and found my MILC camera lumped together with smaller sensored non-ILC P&S cameras. Granted, a good photographer can take a great shot with just about any gear, but I think this category, as you have defined it, does not serve either the P&S user or the MILC camera very well. Tips and tricks for MILCs are different than those for P&S, lens and shooting parameters are very different, and I think putting them all in one basket makes it harder to interact on the forum.</p>

<p>So, I will continue to use the other BB as my primary forum for camera discussions, and will keep checking back to see if this category eventually gets divided up into MILC separate from P&S.....If it does I will come back and be a regular poster.</p>

<p>-J</p>

<p>I think people are making *just little* too big of a deal with P&S, MILCs and categories. What about the X100 and already announced but not released G1X? They fit into this "mirrorless group" more so than, say, the pentax Q <strong>YET they not MILC. </strong>Hmmm...categories and definitions are tough. And Josh has a even tougher job... </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p> putting them all in one basket makes it harder to interact on the forum</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They are not really put in one basket, more like they are still in different baskets and boxes in the same warehouse. The only possible problem is if there are too many baskets that you don't want and only a few that you want (then it would be hard to find it). But as Josh said and everyone knows, there are not many threads about non-ILC, so we only need many users like you to post "tons of" threads about the ILC </p>

<blockquote>

<p>use the other BB as my primary forum for camera discussions.... keep checking back to see if</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If everyone keeps waiting for others, then the waiting will be very long. I enjoy discussions with users of all kinds of cameras but if anyone needs a "separation" can post something like "What is the best non-ILC camera?" . If you ask "I'm looking for a cheapest MILC" then noone would suggest a G12 or Kodak Z760.<br>

Think about this, if someone wants to ask "I am a long time P&S shooter who wants to try MILC, suggestions please?" Then which forum should he post in?<br>

Leslie: Let me know next time you have a plan to go to Saigon. There are lots of good coffee in Saigon, together with (and surrounded by) a lot more "unhealthy black drinks called coffee but not made by coffee" and we should call it UBDCNC". You can easily choose what you want </p>

Sorry David, I disagree, what Josh did is ideal. Posting volume is manageable, it's harder to confuse this forum with Digital Darkroom, and discussions are more interesting now. Very few photo.net subscribers or former subscribers are interested in cheap P&S cameras. Most questions about them come from newbies or trolls.

<p>As I've said, we're going to see how it goes. Dead forums don't grow, people see that they are dead and say "I'm not going to bother to post here". Given the wide spectrum of what people want as far as mirrorless discussion, there is at least as good of a chance that a mirrorless standalone forum would die as it would succeed.</p>

<p>I'll keep an eye on things and adjust as is necessary. But at the moment, things are going to stay how they are aside from some organizational changes with the categories.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>I don't think either this or the Olympus 4/3 forum has enough traffic to be difficult to navigate, though I do wonder if the ambiguity of this forum contributes to the scarcity of postings, except for THIS thread :-) Shame that that nice lady M4/3 user doesn't intend to return :-)</p>

<p>She has seen the light and discarded both P&S and DSLR ... Yeah! :-)</p>

• 3 months later...