Best Options for Safari

scott_hatland

<p>Hi,<br>

I've read through the various posts on here and still am not certain what my best option will be for an upcoming Safari. I have booked a safari which will include Tanzania and Kenya, and will continue into Rwanda and the Mountain Gorillas.</p>

<p>Right now, I have a Nikon D7000. I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, and the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. I know all of these are coming along. I also have a wide angle lens I'm planning to take, so that's covered. I plan to rent another D7000 as a backup, or perhaps a D700. There is a chance I'll buy the new D800 when it appears early in 2012, but that depends on the price (and I think it is unlikely). My assumption is I'll likely have two D7000's with me.</p>

<p>My question surrounds what I need for longer range. Currently, I have a rental reservation for the Nikon 200-400 f/4 VRII. The options I'm considering:</p>

<p>1) Keep the reservation for the 200-400 (this lens seems to be the "ultimate" safari lens, but I'm concerned about its ability to handle teleconverters)</p>

<p>2) Skip the 200-400 and rent the 300mm f/2.8 instead (this handles teleconverters great, but I am concerned about losing zoom flexibility)</p>

<p>3) Forget renting and purchase the 80-400 (not sure this really makes much sense, but I'm open to opinions)</p>

<p>4) Forget renting and purchase the 300mm f/4 (again, #1 or #2 seem like the better option)</p>

<p>I'd appreciate hearing opinions, especially since there seems to be many people on this message board that have been on safari. This will be my first safari, and while I would love to say "I'll be back" I want to treat any trip like this as if I won't get back. I want to be able to come back with the best photos I can...of course understanding I'm an amateur and I don't expect to get something like the pros. Although I could always get lucky :-)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for your opinions.</p>

<p>Scott,<br>

I'm afraid you pay a lot of attention to the long range options, and not so much to the short range. I've been to quite a few safaris, mainly in South Africa. Those have been private trips with my own guide, on an open 4X4 vehicle.<br>

In such cases you may find yourself 4-6 ft. from your target that may be a lion, a giraffe, hyena, or an elephant, or even a group of such. If you only have telephoto lenses you may be very disappointed. I see you mention a wide angle lens but you did not mention which.<br>

For the short ranges I use AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (I have a full frame Nikon D3x), it is a "don't leave home without" lens.<br>

Also note that you need to know how crowded the vehicle you'll be in is going to be, as the use of physically large and heavy lens like the 300 f/2.8 can become a challenge: holding a 3 Kg lens (the 300mm) for a whole day with no tripod / monopod is challenging to impossible, and in some travel conditions it is not practical to have good support or to be able to maneuver while others are seated around you. For me the 70-200 with 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters is good. In the past I used the AF VR-Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6D with excellent results (can't add converters) but the 70-200 with converters is better.<br>

Can't cover it all here, the above is in nutshell. Anyway, you are going to enjoy, good luck :)<br>

Ofer</p>

<p>Ofer,<br>

I have the 16-85mm for the short range, which I think should be well suited on the DX body. I guess I probably should think more about this as you say. </p>

<p>Ideally I'd be well equipped to deal with all situations that I encounter, although I know this is really impossible since a safari is unpredictable. I keep hearing dust is a major issue so I don't want to be in the business of changing lenses. My original thought was keep the 200-400 on one D7000 and the 70-200 on another. However, this puts me at 105mm minimum (inclusive of the DX crop) which may limit me.</p>

<p>If I kept the 16-85 on one body, that makes me think I don't need both the 70-200 with TC and 200-400. </p>

<p>Argh...too many decisions (which is why I'm asking for expertise from people that have experienced safaris). I guess having 3 bodies would solve the problem, but I'm not a pro and I don't have a pro budget :-)</p>

<p>I was on a photo safari in Tanzania in March 2010. I had two D 300's (sensor mag factor of 1.5x) . One body had a 500mm f 4.0 on it all the time. The other had a 70-200mm f2.8. I used a 1.4x tc a lot with my 500mm f 4.0 especially while in the Serengeti where the animals can be farther away than in other locations in Tanzania. I also had a 16-85mm DX lens for normal landscapes. I had a 1.7x tc with me too.<br />The minimum Nikon tele you will need is the 200-400mm f4.0 zoom on a Nikon crop sensor body with the 1.4x tc. I strongly encourage you to take two DSLR bodies to avoid changing lenses for two reasons. Avoiding dust and you will not have time to change lenses when the action gets hot ! Many on my safari also had a point and shoot for grab shots and real close ups like elephants that walked right up to the Land Rover.<br />Everybody on the safari was a photographer. Each land rover held only three photographers to allow for max shooting opportunities. About four of us had 500mm f 4.0s. Some had 600mm f 4.0s. About three had the Nikon 200-400mm f4.0. Some Canon shooters had the 100-400mm zoom as their longest lens. They missed out on a lot of shooting opportunities in Tanzania. You will need suitable bean bags to support your lenses. Make sure they are provided or bring your own.<br />Rent what you need at<br>

<a href="http://www.borrowlens.com">www.borrowlens.com</a></p>

<p><br />Joe Smith</p>

<p>I should have added that none of the Nikon shooters on my safari had the 80-400mm lens. They all had the 200-400mm or longer lenses like a 500mm or 600mm lens. I think all had the 70-200mm zoom too on their second DSLR. I also have a D 700, but for a safari, I would stick with two crop bodies and the 200-400mm zoom over the 300mm f 2.8 for Tanzania. <br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>The last time I was in Africa, 2007, my lenses included the 12-24, 18-70, 70-200 and 80-400 zooms. A lot of people discount the 80-400 because it is not the fastest focusing lens on the block. But, from my experience during three trips, the vast majority of your pictures will be static or slow moving subjects, and for that it is very versatile. I don't know if your safari will be strictly photographing wildlife, but I would suggest a lighter, moderate range zoom if you will be visiting any of the African villages, street markets or any other place exposed to cultural sites. I suspect you will need something to shoot people, and for that my 18-70 came in quite handy. The 12-24, honestly, didn't get used much. With two camera bodies - and a backup is a must - you could put an 18-xxx on one and the 80-400 on the other and those would serve most your needs. Thom Hogan's review of the 80-400 - <a href="http://www.bythom.com/80400VRlens.htm">http://www.bythom.com/80400VRlens.htm</a></p>

<p>All you can really plan on for camera bodies is the D7000. The D300 is the next logical update from Nikon, but who knows when anything new will appear. I don't put any credibility in those claiming a D800 will appear "soon." Those who really know ain't talking, and those who are talking really don't know. I'd stick to a crop body anyway for wildlife. As for the 80-400mm VR, it is slow focus but image quality and zoom range makes it darn versatile. It's possible and AFS update will come for this lens before a new camera body does--who knows?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>My personal take on this kind of subject is that too much attention is paid to getting really close-up shots of animals which you may as well just get in a zoo and are pretty commonplace. What makes the shot is seeing Africa around the animal and so I would stick with what you have and not rent anything at all. As Ofer said make sure you have wide-angle properly covered.</p>

<p>I have been to East Africa twice but not recently; I went to Kenya and Tanzania on separate trips in the late 1990's. You can find my article on nature photography in Kenya based on my 1997 trip there: <a href="../nature/kenya.html">http://www.photo.net/nature/kenya.html</a></p>

<p>If I were going again today, the D7000 would be my main camera for the trip. I only have one but if you can bring two, it would be great. DSLR rental is very expensive in the US, for whatever reason. Renting a "prosumer" DSLR can easily be over $100 per day. Therefore, it would make no sense to rent a D7000 for a couple of weeks; the rent can easily exceed the value for the camera by a wide margain. If you can find another D7000, new or used, you can buy it and then resell it after the trip. In my case, since I don't want to rent DSLRs, my D300 and D700 should be an excellent 2nd/backup camera. On these trips, I routinely bring 3 camera bodies. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be going to Africa again in 2012.</p>

<p>Concerning lenses, the 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR is the obvious choice. Back in 1997, I shot 35mm film and the 500mm/f4 was useful. I would attach a 1.4x TC for smaller birds such as the lilac-breasted roller. Today with DX-format DSLRs, the 200-400 zoom should work very well. After that, it would be the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR. Your 16-85mm DX zoom should be great for covering the occasional landscape and other general photo opportunities. With the DX format, IMO 500 and 600mm lenses tend to be too long, but opinions vary.</p>

<p>In Kenya, they tend to use closed Land Rovers and Nissan vans with hatches on top. Bring bean bags (take empty ones and buy beans in Africa), and you set your big lenses on the bean bag on the roof of the vehicle. In my Kenya article, there is a small image showing a Land Rover and the photographing arrangement. I have never been to Southern Africa, but I understand they tend to use totally open SUVs.</p>

<p>BTW, with the exception that some cheetas may occasionally sit on the hood of vehicles, I would not get as close as 4 to 6 feet from wild animals. Most of those mammals are huge; if you get that close, you are asking for accidents. In other words, don't expect a lot of opportunities to photograph wildlife with wide-angle lenses. You may capture a few "elephants and the forest" type environmental images, but most of your wildlife photography will be with long lenses.</p>

<p>Shun, Regarding distances, I had a typo, it was meant to say 4-6 Meters. At least in the private game rides in South Africa it is very common to get close to the animals. The rangers say it is safe, I hope the animals adhere... Attached 5 photos, all taken 3-5 Meters distance from the animals. Not my best shots, just to make a point. If anyone does not like to see blood, please do not open, as one photo shows 3 Cheetahs eating a poor Impala... Ofer</p>

<p>I have never been on a photographic safari but have taken a lot of pictures in Africa of game and landscape.<br>

I have used a Canon Elph for most of them and been most pleased with the results. I also used a couple of Leica M6's with wide angle and 135mm lenses for some very good results. You see most of my safaris were for a different kind of shooting and some of it is done from quite close range so I know with the proper backup you CAN get very close to your subject. It can also be quite dangerous. If I were going strictly for pictures I would probably carry my 2 D2x bodies,one with my 18-50 f2.8 Sigma on it and the other with a 300mm f2.8 and I would add my Kenko Pro 300 1.4 converter and feel well equipped. Add my Netbook to transfer and view my images and a couple of extra batteries and charger and I would be good to go. My primary photography here in the US is nature and landscapes and except for the fact my 300 is the f4 and not the f2.8 that is basically what I use here. I really can't hold anything longer or bigger and tripods on safari are really not recommended by anybody I have known in Africa. A bean bag is certainly valuable to have though. The object is to travel as compactly as possible. The vehicles they use for safaris are not that spacious and the new airline regulations make extra bags an expensive proposition and if you have to use any of the smaller aircraft room is definitely at a premium. Been there done that.</p>