Trying to look like a Woman

<p>Using Nikon F, SLR Film Kodak Portra 160 ASA<br>

When Photographing Transsexual Customers, they want factually to look like a Female, Woman. What kind of software do I need to use to accomplish this one Transsexual Customer?<br>

Wants Desert pictures standing on top of Barrel Cactus in<br>

Mini-Skirts and Mini-Dresses need your help on this issue.<br>

Thanks Annette</p><div>00ZqT5-431847584.jpg.dcd607b58041aeceaf92aa942e8c4919.jpg</div>

<p>I'd recommend that a moderator move this over to fashion/portraits, and re-title it (it's not a "Nikon" issue, per se). <b> Moderator: Moved.</b><p>There are a LOT of variables that go into the results you're looking for. It starts with makeup, wardrobe, pose, set, composition, and <em>light</em> that favors the intended results. In post production, the approach depends on just how far the client wants to let the technology create illusion. That's a philosophical issue you need to hash out with the subject, first. Why? Because skilled retouchers can make just about anyone into an idealized femine form - but past the initial, more subtle work, it can quickly become cartoonish, and even a mockery of the subject.<br /><br />With subject matter like this, where self-image is everything, you really need to establish the subject's real goals, first. Much of what you're asking has nothing whatsoever to do with actual gender - it usually has more to do with age. I'd guess that the very most important thing to do is hire a first-rate makeup artist to get involved. And stay out of the harsh sunlight.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Much of what you're asking has nothing whatsoever to do with actual gender </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would agree completely with Matt's recommendations but add that this quote is the key to it. There are women who look masculine or feminine and want to look masculine or feminine. There are men who look masculine or feminine and want to look masculine or feminine. The transgender part is irrelevant, it's just a person. So makeup, lighting, clothing and post-processing should all be used to achieve the goals that the subject wants.</p>

<p>Living near Amsterdam in the Netherlands, where as you might know there is a very liberal mentality on this subject, it is not very much frowned upon when transgenders or transvestites walk the streets even dressed up as eg characters from Priscilla Queen of the Desert.<br /> http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/slutwalk_amsterdam_201106004<br /> And as consequently I have done similar shoots myself, I would like to take Matt's post even further.</p>

<p>To get these kind of pictures done, the very last, and IMHO most unimportant thing is trying to get these shots right by applying some kind of software afterwards, or even thinking there's software around that would amend any shortcomings that were made during the shoot.</p>

<p>Basically you're simply trying to make a portrait of a person, male, female or transgender, and based upon the wishes desired by the person make it look in a way the sitters like to see him/herself. The gender of the person is non-relevant, you just have to keep the wishes of the person in mind, just like with any other sitter for a portrait, and within those wishes make him/her look good.</p>

<p>So if the sittter wishes to look more 'feminin' try to find out what they want ( the look, the style, and the eventual picture they want or have in their head) and based upon that work out the make-up, styling, clothes and type and technique of the pictures to be taken.</p>

<p>The picture you've posted IMO unfortunately does not compliment the sitter very much, and even when the sitter wasn't a transgender, really does not flatter the subject.</p>

<p>So my advise would not so much to find the software to make your subject look good on the picture, but start looking at the way you shoot ( in the case of the picture posted) portraits and how (camera position, lens, light, pose of the sitter) to flatter the sitter while doing so. Obviously the task for getting te make-up, styling and hair is not your first responsibilty, but a positive critical eye woud IMO in this case be welcome to work together towards a positive result.</p>

<p>The above makes no difference whether shooting portraits or fashion-like full outs, to make your subject look good in miniskirts and minidresses, to begin with you will have to train yourself to make a good fashion-like picture.</p>

<p>My two cents</p>

<p>PS sorry for the quality of the picture posted, it's a scan of a business card size picture</p><div>00ZqVI-431867684.jpg.b818c30c6ca358495299263775af77b3.jpg</div>

<p>basically the question seem to be *how can i take good picture* ... like the old saying " garbage in garbage out"</p>

<p>If you cant make the person to look good in camera with all the lighting, makeup etc.. then yes you have to rely on Photoshop.. but you also need talent in that department, not just a special plugin (im sure Ru Paul one should be good.. NiK make good product, and Ru Paul still look very good after all those year.. so it work ; )</p>

<p>You need to focus your attention on what you want to achieve, and how to do it. man or female is (to a certain extend) irrelevant. Of course some lighting will be more flatering for this or that type of skin, features etc.. but this is what you have to find. When you look at drag queen show, see how they push the makeup (too far for a normal photo shoot, but excellent for scene purpose) to define there cheek, there jaw, there lips, eyes.. etc.. this is in the direction you want to go but with your lightning equipment, try to find what make the jaw smaller, what make the eye pop...</p>

<p>Practice with a friend or a close man / woman open for those test.. then when you have a nice image, bring it further with Photoshop... not the way around.</p>

<p>Think especially about angles and lighting. Often, a certain type of accentuating lighting will make features look more "masuline" or more "feminine." Cheekbones, for instance, can be exaggerated by the right angular lighting. An adams apple, if it's not covered by a choker or scarf, can be hidden or de-emphasized by lighting and camera angle. Look through any glamour photos of Marlene Dietrich. They could be classic lessons on how to shoot transgender people or drag queens, at least as a start. Lace and netting can help a lot, and the shadows they give off. "Feminine" poses, iconically feminine ones, can also help convey the gender your subject wants to project. Bringing shapely legs into prominence (and making them seem shapely) can feminize a photo quite effectively.</p>

<p>Now, there are all sorts of ways to portray transgendered people, some of which will emphasize their gender, some of which certainly don't have to. But you started off saying "they want to look female" so I think you and your subject have brought gender front and center, and there's no reason not to.</p>

<p>Gender matters very much in this endeavor. To a great extent, that's what trans<em>gender</em> and drag's about.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!