and I would compare it to the canon 85

1.2L. It's an excellent piece of glass. I

have a 50mm 1.4 and barely use it, it's

just not the lengh I use often. For

something wider, I'd save up another

$400 and buy a 35mm L. Another

excellent lens.

Good luck.

<p>A "normal-tele" is usually a zoom, but I suppose you could easily fill that gap with primes. specifically w/ a 50/1.4 would nestle right in between 30 and 70. IQ for the 50/1.4 isn't great WO, but @f2+ it does pretty well.</p>

<p>As far as zooms go... Do you need something fast? If not, than the24-105/4 IS can be had for under a thousand, and has pretty good IQ. If you do need something fast (f2.8) than a tamron 28-75/2.8 fit's your range (and budget) requirements. Then there is the Sigma 24-70/2.8 HSM which also fits into that slot. You'll have to consider auxilliary features, such as IS, HSM, budgetary priority, etc. All of these lenses are capable of producing pretty stunning IQ, but some of the specifics of each may or may not be deal breakers. - depends on what & how you shoot.</p>

<p>If you're on an APS-C Canon (7D, x0D, xx0D, Rebel), the EF 24-70 f2.8L or 24-105 f4L are great choices, but you can also consider the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6, or if you like a fast, constant aperture, and can deal with a little shorter on the tele end, the EF-S 17-55 f2.8. Both are considered excellent lenses, even though they lack the red ring of Canon's 'L' series. There's also the tried and true EF 28-135 f3.5-5.6 for somewhat less money than either of the two EF-S lenses I mentioned.</p>

<p>APS-C... get the Tamron 17-50/2.8</p>

<p>135: Things get a bit more expensive. If you want a constant 2.8 zoom, The Canon 24-70/2.8 is the best, but pricey. Sigma makes a 24-70 that is not quite as good but costs less. Tamron has a new 24-70/2.8 that is stabilized but not yet available. If you live without a constant 2.8 zoom, there are other good options out there... probably too many to list. </p>

• 2 weeks later...