Tele Lens recommendations

ashishgarg

<p>I have a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II IS and love it. I would like to extend the range for bird/wildlife photography and would like recommendations on a good IQ lens. My price range it < $2000. I am open to a prime but would prefer the flexibility of a zoom (without compromising the IQ too much).<br>

<br />Thanks for your answers!</p>

<p>+1 to Mark's comment. But add the 1.4X TC and I think you will still be within that $2000. price range.<br>

I'd also recommend the possibility of renting the 100-400 and TC for a trial run. Try the TC on your 70-200 also.</p>

<p>Best wishes in your decision.</p>

<p>Get the 1.4x TC-III and the 2.0x TC-III, which will take advantage of the new programming in your Series II lens for quicker AF than with other TCs. No matter what body you have the 1.4x TC will focus very fast and the TC should work well also, but you may notice some slow down. Also, the 2.0x TC-III has noticeably better IQ than the Series II version. Those are expensive TCs, but worth it for those using the Series II lenses.</p>

<p>I have rented the 100-400 a couple of times, and used it once for wildlife/birds, I thought it did a really nice job. It's heavy to carry around, and the push-pull telephoto takes some getting used to but the results were ahead of my expectations.</p>

<p>On the other thread you posted about a shorter lens someone asked what your camera body is - that might help in this conversation as well.</p>

<p>Before searching for another lens, add the 2.0X TC III to your 70-200 f/2.8 II. On the 7D, the combination gives you an equivalent of 640mm reach with excellent optic quality. Canon will keep releasing series II lenses as they have done for 70-200 f/2.8 II, 16-35 f/2.8II, 24 f/1.4 II... and the coming 24-70 f/2.8 II. Do not buy the old lenses such as the 100-400 that Canon will stop their services eventually. I use the 1.4 TC II with the 70-200 f/4 IS on the 7D and the 2.0X TC III with the 70-200 f/2.8 II on the 5D II because the 2.0X TC III does focus automatically if you add it on an f/4 lens. There is no need to buy the 1.4X TC III to replace the 1.4X TC II, but for the 2.0X, upgrading from TC II to TC III makes significant improvement on the series II telephoto lenses.</p>

<p>I would highly advise against the extender+70-200 route. With the 1.4, you won't have the reach you want and with the 2x, you will find IQ to be rather poor (relative to other options) and the AF will be rather slow. </p>

<p>The 100-400 is a great lens and even though it is due to be replaced (maybe this year, maybe not), Canon services lenses for 10 years after they are discontinued. Also, given the enormous price increases of the newer lenses, your resale value won't be hurt much, if at all. </p>

<p>While I generally always recommend the 100-400 for people looking for their first long lens, since you already have the 70-200, a 300/4+1.4x may be appropriate. However, since you want the flexibility of a zoom, I still recommend the 100-400 hands down as it will be superior to the 70-200+2x in every way (other than the price). </p>

<p>The images that I've seen with the Series III 2.0x TC are excellent. Keep in mind that even with a 500mm and 700mm lenses when shooting birds you'll often crop. Since you already own the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, I say take advantage of the f/2.8 and Series II and use the new Series III TCs designed to speed AF and improve IQ, particularly in the 2.0X.</p>

<p>The 100-400 is NOT going to beat your lens with a 2X at 400mm wide open. Stop down a little and push the ISO up a little and they'll all be fine, but you already own a sweet lens, so why not base your kit on it. If you stay serious about birds, you're going to want a 500mm or 600mm later, so start saving your money.</p>

<p>Craig is right for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS I + 2x TC II combination. However, it is not true for the 70-200 f/2.8 II + 2x TC III. Since you already bought the 70-200 f/2.8 II, you have no reason the add another big and heavy 100-400 f/4-5.6, which is equivalent to the 70-200 II + 2x TC III combination at the long end. People tend to compare the difference in pricing between series I and I lenses, which is again not realistic. For example, If you search hard, you may be lucky to find a new 70-200 IS I for around $1800, or at most $1700, while with a little effort to wait for Amazon "Today Deal" and pay only $1949 for the 70-200 II. It happened twice last month. Paying $474 to add a 2x TC III or Paying $1549 to buy the 100-400, which will be obsolete soon, and carry two big and heavy lenses is a no-brainer decision. To convince the 70-200 f/2.8 II + 2x III combination a clear winner, you only need to either stop by at a local camera store to try it out or rent it over a weekend. In addition, the auto focus on the 70-200 f/2.8 II + 2x TC III is very fast, far better than the 2x TC II.</p>

<p>I owned the 400mm f/5.6L. It was a fine lens, but the only area where it's going to beat the 70-200mm f/4L IS II with the 2.0x TC-III is probably in weight. It doesn't have IS and I doubt that the AF will be faster than the 70-200/TCIII combination.</p>

<p>Lots of people don't seem to be listening. The new Series III TCs, when used with the Series II lenses, fix the IQ problems and AF problems of the old TCs. Anyone that owns the excellent 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, should look into the new Series III TCs. This is a big change that's happened relatively recently.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lots of people don't seem to be listening. The new Series III TCs, when used with the Series II lenses, fix the IQ problems and AF problems of the old TCs. Anyone that owns the excellent 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, should look into the new Series III TCs. This is a big change that's happened relatively recently.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>David, I didn't believe the 2x TC III either, until I bought and put it on my 70-200 f/2.8 II. The IQ and AF are almost as good as the lens without a TC.</p>

I have the 400 5.6 and love it . It is light sharp very easy to carry around. I have since bought a 500 f4 but cannot bring

myself to part with the 400. I have seen many great pic with the 100-400 but just as many ok ones. teleconverters will not

be as sharp as the 100-400 or 400. I have the 70-200f4 IS and latest tele.I consider the 400 5.6 a fair weather lens ,

when you have low light you are done.

<p>Philip said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>David, I didn't believe the 2x TC III either, until I bought and put it on my 70-200 f/2.8 II. The IQ and AF are almost as good as the lens without a TC.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That performance is so good that I'm thinking about making that my bird-in-flight go-to lens. I use my 500mm as my main birding lens, but having something around my neck to grab a fast moving BIF shot with is always nice. I've got the 70-200mm f/4L IS, which is really great with the 1.4x TC, but the idea of a 140-400mm zoom with IS and great IQ is pretty powerful.</p>

<p>Compare that with the planned, new 200-400mm f/4L with built in 1.4x TC and I think that smaller lens will win in practicality as a second lens. The 200-400 might be a better lens if that's all you had, but it's likely to be very expensive and looks large and heavy in the pix I"ve seen. The Series II is looking more and more like a bargain.</p>