Filter for Nikkor 24-70mm

t_phan

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

I bought the Nikkor 24-70mm lense recently and I need a filter. One of the associates at BelAir Camera in Westwood recommended that I should buy the Heliopan 77mm which cost about $107. I thought it was too much.<br>

Is there another filter that you recommed for the Nikkor 24-70mm?</p>

<p>Thanks very much!</p>

<p>Heliopan and B+W and some others are very high quality filters. I think the top-quality Hoya filters are quite good (SMC, not the bargain line). Any decent 77mm filter is going to cost quite a bit more than an old 49mm filter. Sometimes you can find upper level filters going used on eBay. Of course, these are an easily counterfeited item, so buyer beware.</p>

<p>Since you don't say, I'm resuming that you want a "protection" filter for which either a clear filter or a UV filter would do. The latter will have a slight warming effect on the images, but that hardly matters for digital, especially if you have automatic white balance selected.</p>

<p>However, as you have already found out, there are different schools of thought on whether you should use any such filter at all. Any additional glass, even the best, is bound to have some tiny effect but the arguments are about what level of effect is significant. Many of us do keep a clear filter on the lens when we're walking about (I won't tell my story about the ice cream cone again) or in an inherently 'dirty' place, but remove it when we are engaged in 'critical' work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I went to the ?Bay and got my B+W 77mm MRC 010 #58460 filter for around $60. I have been happy with them. In fact, I got a whole bunch of B&W, including the Kassemann Polarizer from the same supplier. <br>

If it is counterfeit they did an excellent job down to the package box and the description sheet inside. Is there any way to tell if the thing is counterfeit?<br>

JDM, please tell us about the ice cream cone. Many of us have not heard it. Please. Please.</p>

<p>The Ice Cream Cone story (<em>again</em>, if you remember this, skip this post ;)<br /> I was shooting at the local State Fair. I had my Canon 5D with its EF 24-105mm lens on it and my 20D with its EF-S 17-85mm lens hanging on me.</p>

<p>I decided to get a snack at a trailer-stand and as I was getting my pig on a stick or whatever, this kid, holding his father's hand and in the other hand a three-dip ice milk cone, jams his ice milk into the front of my EF 24-105mm lens.</p>

<p>The kid starts to cry, and the father irately insists that I should replace the kid's cone which my lens had spoiled. I suggested that would be fair enough if he would replace my camera lens in return, since the only thing in motion here was the kid.</p>

<p>Fortunately, the lens had a Hoya UV filter on it and so I took it off later and washed it under a water fountain. Both lens and filter survived, but I was glad I hadn't taken off the filter earlier.</p>

<p>It's not as dramatic as the flecks of mud from the motorcycle race or the blood from the boxing match, but it does illustrate that you may sometimes want to practice "safe photography."</p><div>00ZvFq-436583584.jpg.bf0feb6c27520124dd1b851d9154c7a3.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks JDM for the ice cream cone story. <br>

It would be a disaster without the protective filter. It also says to me: stay away from kids with ice cream cone and a muscular father. I can see the logic of not using a protective filter on great lenses, but I always have one on just to feel safe. <br>

If Amazon has a 77mm MRC B&W for $70, go for it. You may want to check out an internet store called Maxsaver.<br>

Raymond</p>

<p>I have the Nikon 77mm NC filter for situations where the lens may be exposed to sand / salt spray / rain / snow, but I very rarely need it. I would choose the Nikon filter because it has a very thin rim and Nikon sells a lot of them so the cost is reasonable and I would guess that Nikon knows best how to design a filter which impacts image quality of their Nikon lenses as little as possible. The thin rim helps avoid increased vignetting at the 24mm setting.</p>

<p>I don't use filters on my lenses except when really needed. But this is a highly personal choice.</p>

<p>Skip the "protective" filter and just use your lens cap when not taking a shot, and also always have a lens hood on. The only time I had a lens element destroyed I had a filter on. It broke, and the broken glass really did a number on the lens! Nothing like glass to scratch up glass. I do often use a polarizer for daytime shots, especially around water.<br>

<a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml">http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml</a></p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>It's not advisable to skip a protective filter when you're in a situation with salt spray or sand or other debri flying about. My favourite filter for my 24-70 when shooting in these situations is the Hoya HD Protective filter. Virtually unbreakable glass and I can't see any diffence in image quality with it on or off. Not cheap but very, very good - if you need a protective filter.<br>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE</a></p>