Canadian Rockies

zvia_shever

<p>Planning a trip to Yoho, Jasper and Banff in Sept. Have Darwin Wiggett's PDFs and I'm mapping out a plan. Only question is when in Sept. to go. Darwin suggests the last 2 weeks of Sept., but everything else I've read says mid Sept.</p>

<p>Husband and I plan on a lot of hiking; I would like to do a lot of sunrise/sunset photography and he would like to golf. I don't want to go too late for golfing. Our choices are 10 day starting about Sept. 7th or so OR 10 days starting around the 13th or 14th. I know it's almost impossible to predict the weather and/or fall color, but is one week really going to make a difference? </p>

<p>Also, anyone know of a good photography workshop or guide I could hire for a few sunrises?</p>

<p>Thanks, Zvia</p>

<p>A great trip - you'll need everyone of the 10 days, probably. I'm attaching a shot I took on Sept 23 back in 2009 between Banff and Lake Louise. You can see the aspens were very nice just at that time. Having said that, in snowed a bit on us in Jasper one morning, so you are right on the cusp of the seasons. If I had to make your choice I'd choose the 13th though - better chance of leaf color, reduced crowds and beautiful crisp mornings.</p><div>00a05G-441459784.jpg.7bff7e69bb2ede2a86f4ff6c514c7b77.jpg</div>

<p>One week most likely will not make a difference. Each year is different in regards to color and weather due to many variables. If you can't pick a date, write each of the two starting dates on a piece of paper, put them in a hat, and have your husband pull out one piece of paper for your starting date. You will let fate determine your starting date and if you must have to blame someone for picking a "bad" date you will have your husband. You might want to check on the availability of golf for your time periods - that might make a difference. I don't know about golf nor do I have any interest. It will be a great trip.</p>

<p>After the first Monday in September children in North America head back to school and the tourist season shifts down a notch. Trails and attractions will be a lot less crowded. I would recommend the 7th for weather reasons and also that every day sunrise is later as you approach equinox. Fall colours don't change much; most trees there are coniferous. Whether hiking or golfing plan on getting lots of weather! You can probably find a guide but don't overlook the Parks Canada centres in Banff or Lake Louise. If there's no line these are people who know the parks well and can give you great advice. Most parts of the parks are at 4500 feet above sea level and higher. You'll be puffing; travel light. </p>

<p>Calgarian here. Banff is in my back yard.</p>

<p>If you want to see fall colors you should leave on the 13th or 14th. 7th is too early. Peak pall colors are reliably around Sept. 21, particularly for alpine larch. Aspen is a bit more variable, but again a later start date will improve your chances.</p>

<p>You won't be too late for golfing. Golfing here continues well though indian summer into mid or late October. A snowstorm can throw a wrench into things, but they can happen anytime in Sept.</p>

<p>Enjoy.</p>

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>Zvia,<br>

That is a beautiful image. It's fortunate that you made what you are calling the mistake of posting it full size, because that makes it possible to see the detail. Of course the photo appears as a link, not in-line. I recently thought about you, and you may laugh when you read the reason. My wife and I were in Argentina at the end of August and nearly all of September, mostly to see family and friends, but also to present an academic paper at a conference. On the day we presented, we had to walk a few blocks from our hotel to the conference site carrying a laptop, and it reminded me of our old discussion regarding how to carry equipment. Again, what a fine photograph!<br>

Best regards,<br>

Hector</p>