Artifact in RAW images when viewing with ACR

<p>Hi, I often see some kind of artifact in the shadow region of RAW images when viewed ACR. When I view the same file in DPP, this artifact does not show up. I would like to understand why this artifact is showing up and if there's a way to eliminate it in ACR? In the example below, the artifact can be seen in the left side of the neck. The first image is from ACR, while the second from DPP. Thanks for the inputs!<br /><br />http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksmike/6907696385/<br /><br />http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksmike/6907695799/</p>

<p>What I observe is that after editing in ACR and perhaps later in PS, then converting the file to jpeg, the artifact can be seen if the jpeg file is opened again in ACR or PS, but if I open the edited file in Microsoft Picture Manager, the artifact is completely gone. So, it could be some setting in ACR or PS that's affecting the displayed image, but I don't have any idea what could be causing it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What I observe is that after editing in ACR and perhaps later in PS, then converting the file to jpeg, the artifact can be seen if the jpeg file is opened again in ACR or PS, but if I open the edited file in Microsoft Picture Manager, the artifact is completely gone.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're complicating the issue with that workflow.</p>

<p>Do the posterized shadow transition artifacts around the jaw line of the woman I see in your flickr preview at original size show up viewing that same area in the image viewed at 100% in ACR?</p>

<p>Jpeg previews add another variable making it impossible to point to the source of the issue. Let's first eliminate whether this is generated by the ACR preview or editing done to it in ACR or if it's a display preview issue. A camera profile in ACR could be contributing this viewed at 25-50% and not show up until viewed in a jpeg.</p>

<p>This is rare for this to happen, so troubleshooting this requires more info.</p>

<p>Do the posterized shadow transition artifacts around the jaw line of the woman I see in your flickr preview at original size show up viewing that same area in the image viewed at 100% in ACR?<br>

Hi Tim, yes, the same artifact shows up in the same area while viewing the raw file at 100% in ACR. I have provided a link for the raw file above. Thanks.</p>

• 2 months later...