Really old Epson inks

<p>I recently traded a bag of potato chips (yes, really), for an Epson 2200 that saw very little use, and sat unused for at least the last year (or more). Another person says he has about 3 dozen factory sealed cartridges for that printer, and wants to trade them for a bottle of single malt scotch. The problem is that those ink cartridges are at least 3 years out of date. I know I'm going to have to run some ink through the printer to get it going again, but am I just throwing away good scotch on ink from 2008, and possibly inviting problems?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you compare the ink cost per ml to the scotch price per ml, you will see that the Epson ink is way more expensive. I don't think that a few years matter, especially if you shake the cartridges from time to time. I'd go for the ink. After all, you paid only a chips bag for the printer.</p>

<p>Pigments settle. Gravity and all that. The problem comes if the pigments then clump together. If they do, you could end up with a clog-from-hell. Or they could stay glued to the cartridge which might possibly cause the overall ink color to be just a bit thinner.</p>

<p>OTOH, it could be that you shake the carts for a while and the pigments go right back into suspension like they should.</p>

<p>One of the improvements that Epson and the other ink supplier have made over time is anti-static coatings for the pigment particles. So they don't attract each other and form clogs. Unfortunately, they don't introduce these improvements into their older ink lines. And the 2200 is about three generations back from the current state of the art right now.</p>

<p>Are you possibly inviting problems? Possibly? Sure. Anything is possible. You pays your money and takes your chances.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your replies. When I got the printer home last night the magenta cart was completely empty. I've just popped the new one in and after a number of cleaning cycles we're mostly in business, except the yellow is completely blocked, so I might need to resort to one of the aftermarket cleaning kits. I checked the Epson Utility, and found out that all the carts except the new magenta I installed have production dates of May 2003! That leads me to believe the ones I'd get from the scotch enthusiast would be OK after a little shaking.</p>

<p>In dealings with Epson I have been told the freshness dating is to assure quality. "Old Inks" should still work but may have lost a bit with 'how much' being unpredictable. The tech guys told me they should still work OK but 'no guarantees'.<br>

One thing that did surprise me is their stating freezing inks doesn't hurt them. I asked as FedEx leaves packages in the camper of my older pickup when I am not home. At times the daytime temps are 20 below Zero (farenheit) for the high during the day. Doesn't take long for stuff to freeze in those conditions. I bring them in and let acclimatize for a day before using when and if that happens. So far, no troubles at all.</p>

<p>Just a quick(ish) update for you all. Today I got the inks (4 complete sets plus 4 Matte Black and assorted extras), for a bottle of 12 year old Glenfiddich, and the fellow threw in his 2200 as well. I had to replace the Light Black as it was empty, but after a few cleaning cycles I was seeing great improvement from all the jets. I then replaced all the carts with the new/old ones and printed a nozzle check and everything looks good. I'm at work now so don't have access to any photo paper but I'm very optimistic. I should have time to print some photos tomorrow afternoon so I'll report back then.</p>

<p>First I'd like to clarify that in my post yesterday afternoon, I was referring to the second 2200 that I got with the ink. The first one still has a clog or fault with the yellow, but I think I might set it up for B&W using the MIS Ultratone inks. In that set the yellow is replaced by a Sepia toner, and as I like my B&W prints neutral to cool the Sepia wouldn't get used.</p>

<p>Now to print results. My first test print today had banding the length of the print spaced about 1" apart. I cleaned the print head manually and am now getting prints that very closely match the image on the screen, so needless to say I'm very happy. All the carts in the printer were produced in early 2003. Obviously I can't compare these prints to ones done with new ink, but I'm also not seeing any immediate reasons to complain.</p>

<p>The final tally is: $48 (scotch) + $2.50 (potato chips) and a bit of elbow grease for one 2200 that works perfectly, one 2200 that can at least be used for B&W, and a whole bunch of ink. As Hannibal Smith used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together!".</p>