E-5

elin_dolle

<p>Three things:<br>

- 4/3 cameras have more noise than other DSLRs because of their less developed sensor technology, and more importantly because of the smaller size causing more enlargement for the same viewing size.<br>

- You may be pixel peeping too much. All cameras have noise. The noise performance of this camera doesn't change over time, so if you see more than before, you're looking more closely and leaning on the camera's performance more.<br>

-You may be underexposing your image. If you're shooting in less light than usual or underexposing the image, your images will have much more noise.</p>

<p>If you're going to shoot for profit, don't bother using an Olympus camera. Can be fun to play with and good results are certainly obtainable, but the last thing you should concern yourself with is your gear underperforming. Go get a Nikon or Canon.</p>

<p>I had an Olympus E-5 and it was no better than my E-P2, so I ditched the former.</p>

<p>What made you decide to be a stock photographer? It is a pretty hard job, especially with everyone and their mother today having access to an amazing DSLR. I can't tell you how many people that have never learned photography, but have significant disposable income, just go to the nearest camera shop and buy themselves something like a Nikon D700 or Canon 5D with associated lenses, and then turn in their photos. What stock are you shooting that ISO 400 is necessary? At that ISO, you have significantly more noise, less color, and less dynamic range. Read this guy's blog, he is one of my favorite stock photographers:<br>

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/<br>

And notice the response he (soundimageplus) gives in these threads about being a stock photographer:<br>

http://www.mu-43.com/f35/shooting-stock-incredibly-frustrating-17129/<br>

http://www.mu-43.com/f35/shutter-stock-rejections-17534/<br>

Funny enough, he uses a camera that has an identical sensor to your E-5, so it is more than possible, but just be aware that it takes more than gear to be successful, especially with the increasing prevalence and accessibility of photography today. Stock companies can be very picky now.</p>

<p>The noise issue has been solved, for most practical purposes, you know. Meaning don't let it get you down despite what you think is faulty or sub par. <br>

Namely this: You have a high performance and capable camera that can deliver high resolution quality images. Me I try to stick to ISO 200 with the E-3, but I have no trouble getting results at ISO 400. Your E-5 being newer should be able to deliver even better results. (If you seeking the names of professionals who use the Olympus E-5 with its good high grade lenses, e mail me and I will you give you several to correspond with.)<br>

Now goes without saying you need fine fast Olympus lenses to do fine work. Black and white fine art, cheese, no sweat methinks with this water resistant camera and versatile (at its competitive price) camera was a respectable choice. Fine art landscape, use a tripod and shoot at lowest ISO as we used to do with film...In short Ace, Don't give up yet on the gear you have. Oh, I haven't even mentioned Noise Ninja and other aids for ultimo PP.....<br>

I would like to see an A/B blind test by a mag editor or gallery owner of sample images taken with lates 4/3 sensor engines and APS-C and even the 24X36 and see what gets rejected on image quality. Of course, all is in the eye of the beholder. Some like a <em>little</em> grain effect in b and w...truly.... If you were already a professional, likelihood you would have chosen the bigger names, Nikon perhaps, but Olympus has its merits and you know or you wouldn't have plunked 17 bills on the beast. <br>

Bottom line, don't sell it off/short just Yet. When you do, let me know as I may be interested in upgrading one day. I could make money with it, but I don't need the cash just now, only more courses and lighting gear maybe and practice at what i love to shoot, another story:-)<br>

Aloha & happy trails, Elin. </p>

<p>I agree with Patrick Porter. If you're going to do anything that on the level of professional quality, it would be best to look at the Canon and Nikon before going full fling into the Olympus E-series. I shot with the E-3 and E-30 for a few years and always felt that I didn't quite reach the plateau of professional quality.</p>

<p>I spent an enormous amount of time in Photoshop, making corrections, trying to go for tack-sharp, and eliminate the noise. I went nutz using Olympus cameras in trying to get a good HDR shot, inherently noisy.</p>

<p>Having gone professional in the past two years, I investigated several camera systems and found something that is far better than anything Olympus has put out. Yes, it was expensive to purchase all new lenses and accessories to match the E-series system, but it was well worth it. The E-3 and E-30 are collecting dust, and the only lens I use from Olympus is the 55mm f/1.2 adapted to the Canon D7. As a manual legacy lens, it makes a very good portrait lens. </p>

<p>If I were in your situation, enjoying B&W, I'd go with a new Nikon model or the latest Canon EOS DSLR and use NIK software, Silver Efex Pro 2, with Photoshop. It's a great combo. And... I'd dump the E-5!</p>

<p> </p>