Switching to Nikon....which one to buy?

lisa_paul

<p> Hi,<br>

I would like to buy a new Nikon camera, I've always used Canon, and Mamiya with digital back. I hear alot of great things about Nikon and the pictures look amazing! especially the D700. I like to shoot landscape sometimes but mostly I would use it to shoot portraits. I'm confused about which Nikon camera to buy could someone please tell me there experiences. Or any opinions..</p>

<p> Thank you :)</p>

<p>Lisa, I see you asked a similar question almost a year ago: <a href="00YNmD">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00YNmD</a></p>

<p>The main advantage for the D700 is its AF and high-ISO technology, but that technology is derived from the D3 introduced in August 2007. That was like 4 and half years ago and is relatively old technology at this point. For landscape photography, I would consider Canon's 5D II because AF is less important and the additional pixels on the Canon can be an advantage.</p>

<p>However, both the Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D700 should be near the end of their production cycles. Unless you are in a hurry, I would wait a bit and see whether anything new will be announced in the coming months. Nikon has already stopped selling D700 within Japan since last November because the battery it uses, the EN-EL3e, has exposed electrical contacts and is now against Japanese safety regulations. Therefore, IMO it is pretty obvious that Nikon will have to replace that model soon: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00YNmD">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00YNmD</a></p>

<p> Shun... yes I did ask a similar question, I had stopped photography for awhile because of my busy lifestyle, and lost interest because I was going through some crazy times. I started picking it up again and I'm ready to get this going :) I will try and get a used D700 and see what comes out next in the meantime. Thank you :)</p>

<p>Allegretta, I would not be so quick to assume what the next upgrade will be, that it will or will not be an improvement over its predecessor and how much so. Either way, regardless of the new features on the D700's successor, the D700 will see a significant drop in price, both new and used, so the OP would be wise to hold off just a little bit.</p>

<p>Lisa, sometimes people ask the same question over and over every week or two (perhaps they are indecisive); in such cases it can be very annoying. Digital technology changes quickly so that asking the same question again a year later is totally fine in my opinion. However, I brought up the old thread so that people can get more background information.</p>

<p>From the previous thread, it sounds like you don't have too much invested in Canon lenses; in that case perhaps it makes more sense to try Nikon. But Canon makes excellent cameras and lenses in general and has a very extensive system for you to choose from. For those who already have a few good Canon lenses, I would discourage them from switching to Nikon unless they have a very specific reason. One should be able to capture great images regardless of whether they use Canon or Nikon equipment. For portraits, as <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=39504">Kent Stroubus</a> will no doubt tell you, lighting is perhaps more important than camera brand and lenses.</p>

<p>If you want to get a D700, it is a good idea to get it used at this point. While I don't know the details, I have little doubt that Nikon will have to replace the D700 (and the D300S) soon because of the EN-EL3e issue in Japan. Any new technology that is 4 to 5 years newer will no doubt make a big difference. Even though you are happy with the D700, it will be very annoying to watch its value drop drastically as many people upgrade. In other words, if you want a D700, a good time to buy one is after the replacement is available, but I have no precise timeline.</p>

<p>A D7000 is Nikon's best value right now. As for me, I'm just sitting tight and waiting. With exception of D7000 (and D5100) all of Nikon's cameras are old and nearing replacement. I don't want to buy one and then see the value drop 25% a few months later. If you're used to using a digi-backed Mamiya, I think only the D3x would really satisfy you. Shun headed me off at the pass :-) --for portraits (real portraits, not family snapshots) lighting is the crucial element.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p><em>To M Allegretta</em>: we must expect the D700 replacement to be a noticeable improvement over its predecessor... remember that the D300 sent the D2 series to retirement, I`d not be surprised if that replacement do the same with the D3 series cameras. The D200 to D300 transition was noticeable, too.</p>

<p>If the trade is worth it or not, it`s another topic. Personally, I find difficult to have the need of upgrading from the D700 as I find it enough for most of my needs (it`s like film, for years I`ve been perfectly fine with APX and TX, do I need more?) but... who knows. I`m lately making more family videos than ever, I also spend a bit more time trying to get cleaner photos, I`d like better access to certain camera functions like Live View or others... again, <em>who knows</em>... :)</p>

<p>If you're serious about portraits and you do switch to Nikon, I would highly recommend getting a full frame body so that you can made the best use of an 85mm f/1.4 lens. I have and love the older Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-D lens. It is truly something special, especially for pictures of women and children—one of the best reasons to use Nikon cameras. There are other 85mm f/1.4 lenses available too. See <a href="00ZiPu">this recent thread</a>.</p>

<p>(I've read that Canon's 85mm f/1.2 is similarly wonderful but have no personal experience with Canon stuff.)</p>

<p>Remember that the camera is only a fraction of the story. The most contribution to image quality is going to come from the lenses used. So allocate <em>at least as much again </em>of your budget to the lenses you intend to use, as to the camera body.</p>

<p>Having said that, one major advantage of a full-frame camera like the D700 is that it can take almost every F-mount lens ever made. Most of which are available used at bargain prices, and some of which easily equal the image quality of current all-singing, all-dancing, top-of-the-line expensive glassware.</p>

<p>Shun, what's the Japanese problem with En-el3e batteries in particular? Having taken one apart, I can vouch for the fact that Nikon uses bog-standard Li-ion cells inside; same as almost every other camera battery on the market. If there was a genuine supply or safety issue, then most digital cameras in the world would be affected.</p>

<p> Excellent advice! very helpful responses.... thank you. I also understand that it's the lighting, post processing and the photographer not the camera....but when I'm working with whats considered and old digital back (Kodak Pro back 16mp) shooting certain situations becomes difficult, ISO is only 400 and is VERY grainy ,thats one of the few draw backs, I hate holding this camera after awhile it gets heavy. Other wise I love the pictures it captures :D</p>

<blockquote>

<p>what's the Japanese problem with En-el3e batteries in particular?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>AFAIK, batteries with exposed contacts are no longer allowed in Japan - see the difference between a new EN-EL15 battery for the D7K and the EN-EL3E.<br>

@Lisa Paul: it might be better to wait - as already pointed out above, the D700 might get replaced soon. BTW, the Canon 5D MkII might see an update to MkIII anytime soon as well - for both cases, I have no information on the timeline though.</p>

<p>Sorry, I put in the wrong link above. This was the thread from late November about Nikon stop selling all EN-EL3e-based cameras and grips in Japan: <a href="00Zeyx">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Zeyx</a></p>

<p>The information comes from this Nikon Japanese web page: <a href="http://www.nikon-image.com/support/whatsnew/2011/wnew111108.htm">http://www.nikon-image.com/support/whatsnew/2011/wnew111108.htm</a><br />On 20th November, 2008, Japan changed their regulation and disallowed the sale of products with exposed battery contacts, but they allowed a 3-year grace period. Therefore, the sale had to stop on 20th November, 2011, but apparently they could continue to sell items that were already in stock. And the sale of the EN-EL3e battery itself is not yet banned. (Sorry, I don't know all the details about this new regulation.)</p>

<p>In other words, Nikon and everybody else had a 3-year advanced warning about this change. Therefore, I have no doubt that Nikon already had plans to replace both the D300S and D700 prior to November, 2011 so that they wouldn't get into the current situation where they cannot sell their most popular FX DSLR and their top DX DSLR inside Japan. Of course, the March earthquake/tsumni in Japan and the October flooding in Thailand changed all plans. But still, I am sure those two models would be phased out as soon as it is possible. They are both based on the 2007 D3/D300 design that is very "old" anyway for high-tech digital products. Additionally, the London Olympics will start in July. Introducing a new flag-ship sports DSLR and show it off during the Olympics is clearly a very high priority with a fixed deadline.</p>

<p>Any of the cameras recommended or that you have can make exquisite portraits. If I were working on formal portraiture, I'd probably stay with the Mamiya. However, if you are looking for a more flexible and versatile platform I go to one of the newer digitals. If I were making the choice today (which I did about six months ago), I would get newer technology instead of older technology. In my own decision I decided to do a complete upgrade -- body and lenses. Going into the decision I was leaning strongly to a D700. (I have been committed to Nikons as my small camera since my first Nikkormat). After a lot of research and reflection I chose the D7000. I have been very pleased with my choice -- but that is me. Regardless of how objective you try to make this process, at the end it is a subjective choice in many ways.</p>

Think less, read less,take pictures more.

It might be useful if there were answers to such questions, but all cameras in the same class differ only

incrementally. Same goes for old model to new model. It's all about how you use them. Anyone's currently owned

camera is good enough. If it isn't, you get more bang for the buck by upgrading the owner rather than the camera.

If you want to get good, wear out your camera taking pictures, and buy a new one then. Don't be a camera hobbyist

who is forever searching for the better camera, because "better" is not found there.

<p>Lisa, just another opinion to make matters worse. Look at lenses first maybe... The availability of the right lens for your way of working may help decide between DX and FX. If you already know which focal length matters to you, then see if there is a suitable lens for that.<br>

Personally, I prefer a bit more distance for facial portraits, so I am fine with 85mm on DX, and far more often I grab a 105mm f/2.5 (that's just a spectacular portrait lens, for the prices it sells for, you cannot go wrong!). Many will argue the ~160mm is far far too long and tell that 50mm on DX is a great length for portraits. It can be, neither is right or wrong - it all depends on your style and how you prefer to work.<br>

Nikon has enough lens options, but on DX the choice for a good portrait lens is actually not that easy. There is a bit a gap between 50mm and 85mm for fast lenses, and 60-70mm might just be the ideal focal length for many... While the D7000 is an excellent offer, this may count against it. So to complicate matters further, it may be worth checking your lens-wishlist too to see if it's a D7000 now or the D700 successor soon when it arrives.</p>

<p>I would add a bit more. We all like to new things and can get the "I wants" and justify whatever we do. The only reason I have replaced cameras is that there were things I wanted to do and could not accomplish with the equipment I had -- or it was just worn out and made more sense to replace than repair.</p>

<p>Really depends on your budget. D700 is dated but a great camera. I sold mine a while back and now I shoot D7000. I think though it realy comes down to the lens and what you want to achieve. IMO, if you want shallwo DOF, the 85mm f1.4 is a great lens on both FX and DX. The 105 2.5 is great too (though a bit long on DX) and probably about 1/10th of the price of the 85 AFS.</p>

<p>I think Wouter hits the nail on the head here. While it is very true that a great photographer can pick up almost any camera and take a great picture, to most of us, choosing the right piece of gear for our style\limitations is important. What I'm referring to here is format. Although there maybe little body difference between a D300\s or a D700, in my humble opinion those are two totally different cameras, because they are different formats. You need to decide if you are looking for a "classic" DX sized sensor or a 35mm FX sensor. You've settled on brand, now you need to settle on format.</p>