Canon Dust Delete Data

symple

<p>I wanted to ask members why they choose to not use the Dust Delete Data feature on their Canon DSLR bodies.<br>

I am not interested in how you physically clean your sensors as that seems to be explained every other day, but what it is about the DDD process that users dislike. <br>

If there were changes made that would get you to use the process rather than physically cleaning, what would they be? Some of you may create you own dust frames in Adobe RAW and use those instead as you default batch process, or touch-up each photo manually, but what about Canon's process do you not like?<br>

Since the 1D III and 40D this feature has been standard, and aside from the manuals, there are explanations on how to use it; but why not use it?<br>

<a href="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/masterclass/dust_delete_data.do">http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/masterclass/dust_delete_data.do</a></p>

<p>For most of us, using DDD means that we have to add DPP to our workflow (most of us go camera> Adobe Bridge > Adobe PS) and that simply requires too much time and requires us to be familiar with yet another piece of software. If Canon would work with Adobe to integrate DDD into Bridge then many more people would likely use it.</p>

<p>Additionally, the ultrasonic sensor cleaning introduced alongside DDD has for the most part rendered dust control a moot point as it is hardly problematic for most of us. I have a 7D, 50D, and 1Div that have all seen substantial work and I have never had to clean the sensor (aside from occasional use of a blower) on any of my bodies. On each of the sensors there are a couple of tiny dust spots visible starting around f/13 or so, but they are hardly noticeable, and when they are, cloning takes about 2 seconds, which is far quicker than mucking about with DDD in DPP. </p>

<p>Just my 2 cents. Other peoples opinions/experiences will certainly vary.</p>

<p>If your camera is more than 4 years old you likely don't have DDD or a self cleaning sensor. In my case I have the original 5D and the simplest solution is to just clean it. I also have a new m4/3 camera with a self cleaning sensor which does work well most of the time. However on one occasion the self cleaning sensor didn't remove a very annoying spot. It only took me 30seconds to clean if with a static brush (to get it, remove the lens, clean and then test). Since it doesn't take me long I just keep cleaning the sensor.</p>

<p>Somehow I thought there would be more responses, but Craig has encapsulated my sentiments and likely those of the majority who know their process. I create a default frame in Adobe RAW the same as DDD and specify to the serial, and the result is the same as DPP save for the tedium of the Canon software. I don't care so much either way, and having gone from 1Ds, to 1Ds II, to 1Ds III and back to just 'just' the 40D I thought there might be some discussion on the merits of Canon's process since the introduction of the 1D III and 40D, but I suspect most users rather swab and blow than use software because it is more engaging. In the future, I hope that anyone using a 40D/1DIII or later body will just refer to the DDD feature referenced, and skip the "is this dust" post and move on.</p>