Journey around the world

david_christoffersson

<p>I'm planning a longer trip around the word, but I can't deside what camera to bring. It should be a good all-around equipment. Today I have a Canon 5D MkII with a 35/1,4 and complement it with a 85/1,2. I also have a Hasselblad 503 with a 80mm and a 180mm, I love the Hasselblad, but I think it would be to heavy to bring with me. Since I love to shoot with film, I've been looking at a different equipment. The Contax G2 seems like a good option aswell, maybe with a 35mm and a 90mm. It's small, discrete and farily light.<br>

Whats your opinion? Any thoughts?</p>

<p>My opinion? That you're a lucky dog to be able to do that. I've traveled a lot, but never that kind of trip.</p>

<p>As to how much to carry, that depends on you and how you are traveling. As to what kind of film equipment to take, since you are taking a 5D, why don't you look into a high end Canon film body in excellent condition, and maybe one more lens.</p>

<p>Good luck. Enjoy your trip.</p>

<p>I have done a lot of Travel with my Contax G2's and the 21mm,28mm, 45mm and the 90mm. I would think again about a smaller high quality zoom lens P&S camera instead. You can carry a lot more images on a 16g card than 400 rolls of film. You then have to process it. I still shoot film, in fact I am going out tonight with a 4x5 and shoot some, but when traveling now I shoot more with my Canon G10 than my Nikon D3s or my film cameras. The contax lenses were beautiful lenses, sharp and contrasty, and if Contax made a digital body,I would still have them. Safe Travels. </p>

<p>I can't see lugging a full sized DSLR on a trip like that unless the sole purpose of the trip was photography. Then bring the works. I'd go lighter, and less obtrusive, with a Sony NEX 7 outfit or similar APS-C mirror less system. A smaller Canon S95 could serve as back up. I feel like Michael. I love shooting my film cameras but lugging all that film around is a burden. A Leica M9 and a few lenses would not be too bad either for a full frame, rangefinder experience. The purpose of the trip and the way you are traveling will inform to the best solution. Generally, light is right.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can carry a lot more images on a 16g card than 400 rolls of film.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.<br /> Ansel Adams</p>

<p>If I was in your shoes, I'd take the Hassy with me. And film supply, no more than 1 roll per day.</p>

<p>Good all around equipment? It depends on what kind of trip this is, who else is going with you and what you intend to do with the pictures. I think your 5D Mk II with the 35/1.4L and a zoom like the 24-105L would be a good rig, though on the largish/heavy side for many. I agree with Louis M. with a Canon S95 or S100 for back-up.</p>

<p>Unless you're traveling in a private jet, which I seriously doubt, you're going to find that some non-US air carriers are very strict about the weight of carry on bags. You certainly won't want to place any of your photo gear in your checked luggage with the possible exception of tripods and heads. Some carriers will not let you bring a tripod as carry on. The bottom line is that you'll quickly exceed carry on weight limits if you carry a couple of systems plus other odds/ends such as a laptop and all the related chargers. Carrying enough film to shoot a roll a day on such a trip would be quite a number of pounds/kilos.</p>

<p>Additionally, if you carry two or more systems you're faced with whether or not to carry all the gear with you all the time or leave some of it in your hotel room, leaving it open to the potential of theft. I've traveled fairly extensively with a 5D2 in the past as well as film medium format systems. I would take the 5D2 and pick up a 24-105L and 70-200L, to go with your primes. They might not deliver quite the results of primes but they are very acceptable and the 70-200, whether the F2.8 or F4 version, is superb.</p>

<p>Michael, I'm envy of you. You got a chance to learn from the best. ;) Thousands of large format negatives per year. It had to cost arm and leg...</p>

<p>I'm not a pro, obviously, however I do travel from time to time and <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaz99/tags/italy/">last time</a> I have got the Pentax 67 on me. Lovely piece of equipment, and a weapon, too ;) So, Hassy is doable and it does not require any battery to run. It may be important.</p>

<p>Assuming you will always have some transportation available, and you are on a photo expedition. I'd take the Canon 5D2 and two lenses, but my lens choices would be different--a 16-35mm zoom and the Sigma 50-500mm OS zoom. Between the two there's not much from landscapes to wildlife that can't be covered. But I would carry a pocketable G-12 or similar sized camera as backup.<br>

Film? I loved the product, used to have two Contax Gs and all the lenses. Taking film through all kinds of climates and through all kinds of security--not to mention the bulk.</p>

<p>Well, as you know, there are several different branches in the photography buisness. I almost exclusively do Still Life photography with my 8x10" camera. I have very little experience in photography in third world countries, but I know I won't bring the 8x10. I have a feel for what I should bring, but since I'll been away for a long time I do appreciate your tips and recommendations.</p>

<p>Thanks<br /></p>

<p>Ok, so you'll be really far from your photographic comfort zone...<br>

I'd add a 50/55 to the Hassi setup, two backs for Acros and Ektar (or similar) plus the D5mk2, 35, 85 and, if not too heavy, a 24-70 as walk-around lens (you'll love the wider angles than 35mm!).<br>

And, of course, cable releases plus tripod with quick release system and dedicated plates for both cameras.<br>

Tripod, 180 and 50/55 (in paded pouches) and food/water/etc. in a small unpaded backpack. The rest in the smallest paded reporter bag possible. <br>

Talk to lots of people and shake a lot of hands and you'll get good pictures.<br>

Most importantly, be very careful to stay healthy! Sick photogs are not productive...<br>

Cheers, Pete</p>

<p>Thanks Pete!<br>

I've been thinking of buying a fixed 20 or 24mm for the 5Dmk2. And another thought I had was to bring my polaroid system, maybe that would be a way to connect with people. Give them a polaroid and then shoot the "real" picture with my other cameras?</p>

<p>So lets say I'll bring the 5Dmk2, a 20/2.8, 35/1.4 and 85/1.2. I totally love my 35/1.4 but it's quite heavy and bulky, same goes for the 85. Should I even consider the 35/2.0 and 85/1.8? Is it a good thing to have a longer lens? Maybe the 200/2.8? And an extender aswell? To heavy maybe...</p>

<p>I think that if you bring all the kit you suggest you are going to have serious problems carrying it all. Consider security. Are you going to be traveling on your own on public buses or trains? Heat can be debilitating and having traveled a lot in tropical countries and Australasia I can say that If you are exhausted through carrying so much; you are not going to be very productive.<br /> I do one 6 week trip at a year; but I need as much for 6 weeks as 6 months. There are times when I've really hated having to carry 2 SLR bodies a bundle of heavy lenses and tripod around. In the days before digital I used to carry a single SLR with mid range and telephoto zoom + a Rollei 35; it weighed half as much as i carry nowadays. but I don't carry 30+ rolls of film in a lead bag anymore.<br /> I'll be doing a 3- 6 month trip in a few years and will carry no more than 1 SLR body; a wide angle ; mid range zoom + a P+S and will leave my heavy kit and tripod at home. i;ll probably have a Macbook Air + Portable HDDs and even that is too much!</p>