3 Days in New York - Where are the best places, and where to can I bring a tripod to.

anderlsp

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'll be in NYC in december for one weekend.<br>

So I would like to know where are the best place to get good shots of the skyline, especially by night.<br>

What are the MUST SEEs, let's say the MUST have taken pictures of.<br>

And finally where can I bring a tripod to. I read several forums, and they always mentioned, that's it quite difficult to use a tripod in NYC. E.g. can I bring it to the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building, United Nations, Central Station, and so on.<br>

Or do you think it's better to leave it in the hotel and just take at night for skyline shots.<br>

What about Gorilla Pods. Do the they suffer from the same restrictions?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>BR,<br>

Andreas</p>

Would you be driving or taking public transportation?

For skyline shot of Manhattan, it's better to be on the Queens/Brooklyn side along the East River or the New Jersey side along the Hudson River. Classic shots were around the Queensboro Bridge (or 56th Street Bridge, in Long Island City) or around the Brooklyn Bridge (in Brooklyn) and Brooklyn Heights.

If you have a car, the best place for Manhattan downtown pic, my opinion only, is the Liberty State Park. After crossing the Holland Tunnel, take the NJ Turnpike and get off at 14b and just follow the sign. If you also want to go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, you can catch the ferry at this park too. It's much less people waiting in line. When you come back, you can also take pictures of the downtown too. Then you can drive along the river heading north for Manhattan midtown pictures.

I am not sure if you can bring a big tripod into UN, Chrysler Building or Empire Building. May be a small tablepod or Gorilla Pod may have a better chance.

Have a great time during your visit. Hope this helps.

<p>Hi Andy,<br>

thanks for the good tips.<br>

Our hotel is in New Jersey close to the Hudson River, so I hope from there I can take some good shots.<br>

We will not have a car, so we go only by public transportation.<br>

It's the first time for me in NY, so I'm quite excited.<br>

Thanks.<br>

Andreas</p>

<p>Andy is correct about the skyline shots taken from Queens, Brooklyn or New Jersey. (Just to correct a typo in Andy's post: The Queensboro Bridge is better known as the 59th Street Bridge, not 56th.)</p>

<p>I've used a tripod in Grand Central Station with no problem. I hope that's still the case there. I was told NOT to use one in St. Patrick's Cathedral, but monopods are allowed.</p>

<p>The Chrysler Building is beautiful, inside and out, as is the Empire State Building. </p>

<p>If you're into street photography, I don't know of a better place than NYC. People photography is fantastic on the Lower East Side.</p>

<p>Oh, and then there's this Lady, who turned 125 years old yesterday.</p><div>00ZX2E-410569584.jpg.32b025457f2ec11c84d66fabede7c20c.jpg</div>

<p>I've used a full-sized tripod in many locations in NYC and never had a hassle. Locations such as Times Square, Top of the Rock and Rockefeller Center, the Brooklyn Bridge from both the Brooklyn and Manhattan sides. My strategy is to keep the tripod concealed inside my backpack until I have staked out the shot. Also, I use a regular generic backpack, not one that announces "photographer". Common sense things apply like not setting up a tripod where it is blocking passers-by. I recommend Top of the Rock for huge wide open views. I believe the Empire State Builiding has wire and chain link fences limiting you to hand-holding. Also, of late the Brooklyn Bridge has been undergoing renovations and had huge ugly tarps hanging on it, so you might want to check it out before blowing some good light. From the Jersey side, Liberty State Park is OK, but the view is rather distant, so be sure of clear weather. You could get some long shots of the new Freedom Tower, which is now rising above all downtown. I prefer Weekhawken waterfront park by the Lincoln tunnel, where you can get a nice view across of the Empire State Building.</p>

I love taking pictures in NYC but I also do not recommend using a full size tripod. I usually bring along a point and shoot type camera and use a tablepod if handholding a DSLR does not work. I use the top of trash cans to place my tablepod most of the time. I've seen people use Gorilla Pod to mount the dc on lamp posts.

Since you are visiting during December, it's good time to shoot some pictures with Christmas theme. Rockefeller Center and its surrounding is a must for Christmas tree. Last year I saw a laser show at Saks on Fifth and 49th Street. And don't miss the decorations on Sixth Avenue around Radio City. Another Christmas tree I recommend is at NYSE between Wall Street and Broad Street. There should be one behind the bull on Broadway too. Also inside Grand Central Station, there used to be a laser show at the hour everyday.<div>00ZXSw-411037584.jpg.f33d483edaf3b15535cc0a2093243fcc.jpg</div>

<p>Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ, is a good place to shoot the skyline. Top of the Rock has a less obstructed view than top of the Empire State Building. You can definitely use a tripod in Central Park. I saw bird photographers shooting their a couple of months ago with massive 400 and 600mm lenses on tripods, and in film school I shot there on more than one occasion wth a small film crew and no permits and was fine.</p>

<p>For me, there is no better spot to shoot the NY skyline than from Jersey City in the late afternoon/early evening. While Liberty State Park and Hoboken are good locations, for ease of commuting and for unobsructed views in an uncrowded spot, I suggest that you visit the Grand Hyatt in Jersey City and forget about driving there. Too much of a hassle. From Manhattan, take the PATH train to the Jersey City stop. When you arrive there, you are directly behind the Hyatt. there is a pier that runs along the hotel property just south of the building that is made to appear to be part of the Hyatt. It is not. Just walk down the pier to the river (maybe 50 yds) and you arrive at a large park on the shoreline, again made to appear to be part of the Hyatt. There is no problem with anyone using it. It is a public space. Not crowded and offers unparalleled view of the NY skyline. Tripod will not be a problem. Since you are shooting across the river, longer lenses work quite well, although moderate wide is useful for pano's.<br>

The entire trip from Manhattan to the park is maybe 10 minutes and not at all expensive. Path leaves Manhattan both from Midtown and downtown; depends which is closer to your hotel.</p>

<p>As far as tripods in Manhattan, I find that I am seldom hassled, although working with a full sized tripod on a crowded street is not easy. Unless shooting early morning or earl evening, I find that a mini tripod is far more convenient. You can rest the small pod on a parked car, a lamppost, the side of a building, a fence, etc to gain the height that you need. Big legs in crowded Manhattan are too often a nuisance even if not specifically prohibited.</p>

<p>Just an additional point to my post above. the Path station that you want inn Jersey City is Exchange Place. From Lower Manhattan, it is one stop under the river. From 33rd St. in Midtown, you must take the train to Grove St and then change to the train back to Exchange place. Lower Manhattan is the easier of the 2 routes, but 33rd St station of Path is one block away from B&H Photo. You decide which is the better station.</p>

<p>I always take a tripod and always leave it in the hotel apart from for dawn and evening skyline shots. Just carrying a tripod may well be enough to cause you some problems with park wardens etc. Without a tripod I think NYC is one of the most delightful cities in the world to photograph. I've never used or seen anyone else use a tripod in Grand Central, but its easy enough to perch your camera on one of the conveniently wide ledges on the staircases. You'll get ro photograph in the lobby of the Chrysler Building with no tripod, but not with one. </p>

<p>Best places- I've taken a lot of sunsets from the Jersey side and the place I like best is right behind Exchange Square station. <br>

For dawn the best place IMO is from Columbia Heights, Brooklyn with the view across East River to downtown. Not the easiest place to get to from Jersey but not impossible either.<br>

Rainy Days? Well don't forget you can photograph in the museums and galleries (without a tripod) and I've spent many a happy hour in MOMA with a camera. </p>

<p>In the City, from the cocktail bar of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel at Columbus Circle - on I think the 37th floor- there's amazing views if you'd rather spend your budget on quality alcohol than on admission fees. I wouldn't go in there and spend an hour at one of the windows, but there's a few great shots from there. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Grand Central Station is a fabulous place for indoor photography. You can use a tripod, but it is advisable to get a permit. Apply in the Station Master's Office (ask at the information desk where it is). Best points would probably be from one of the balconies.</p>

<p>Penn Station is another matter. It is one of the ugliest places in New York. Don't waste your time there.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Andreas,</p>

<p>A tripod is great to have in NYC but as others have commented the locations where you can use it are limited. <br /> I prefer Rockefeller Center to Empire State for the view because the Empire state IS the view!<br /> Do NOT try to get a tripod up the Empire State - if they see it in any way they'll confiscate it - had this happen with a small pocket version last summer. <br /> I would not recommend a regular tripod on top of Rockafeller Center either; however, a gorilla pod or even better a beanbag or just your bag will work great up there if you can get to the edge. The side viewing Empire State has more photo ops from which to choose. Go early and stake out your spot!<br /> A river cruise is a great way to get shots of Lady Liberty as well as the Southern Skyline, Brooklyn and manhattan Bridges from an interesting perspective. You will also get the Chrysler building on most lines.<br /> I would also recommend the Brooklyn Bridge Park - not the nicest area but incredible views of the Bridge and NY skyline as the backdrop. Not as enchanting with the loss of the the towers but still excellent.<br /> I also agree that Central Park is great for all photo ops and tripod friendly. Early morning can be excellent, with less folks in the pictures.<br /> An important fact to keep in mind - it gets dark very early now - probably around 4:30 or earlier by December, so plan accordingly for dusk shots</p><div>00Zco2-416917584.thumb.jpg.8965824edac889b3b8f446f02ca4f53f.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Andreas - NYC is just like most large cities. In most cases, you will have no problem walking around with a DSLR and expensive gear. On the other hand, crime is a fact of life eveywhere and you can find that your gear has been stolen in almost any location in the world.</p>

<p>That said, NYC is actually a very safe city statistically. But that does not mean that you should not take adequate steps to protect your equipment. First rule, and I daresay is the proper rule for any lacation on the planet, is to NEVER leave your gear unattended. You must pay attention to the gear. I am a native NY'er and I can tell you that when one shoots in NYC, one often is looking up toward the sky to take in the tall buildings. You will find yourself in that position quite often, I would expect. When you have your face pressed to your camera looking up, do not just leave your bag at your feet. I always step through the belt or shoulder strap of any bag I have with me. When one is concentrating on a photo and looking intently through a viewfinder, the photographer oftens fails to think about his gear. Do not allow yourself to be so focused (pun intended) on looking through the viewfinder that you allow a stranger to swipe the equipment - even in cases where you are not looking up. Pay attention to what is going on around you and you should be fine.</p>

<p>There are definitely less than ideal neighborhoods to be walking in, especially at night, but you are not likely to be in such places during a sightseeing visit.</p>

<p>One last comment - by all means, use the subway to get around. It is the fastest and least expensive way to get from point A to point B in NYC. But - I tend to stay out of the subways after about 9 or 10 pm. During the day, the subways are always crowded with other folks, but after 9 or 10pm, they are often a lot fewer people around. I am a big guy and generally do not get hassled, but I see no good reason to underground past that hour.</p>

<p>Oh - and while subway crime is not particularly worrysome, I do strongly suggest that you do not leave any gear in the open if you are near a subway car's doors. One recent trend is for bad types to stand on the platform as the doors are closing in preparation to leave the station and just reach in to snatch anything they can. They are particularly anxious to snag jewelry, iphones, ebook readers, ladies' purses, etc, but a loaded camera bag or a camera dangling from your should would make an inviting target. Again - simple solution is to not stand or sit near a door; if you must be at such a point, do not flash your ipod, iphone or camera. If you are travelling with your wife/girfriend, she ought to consider not wearing flashy jewlery on the train. Many women put on their bling after they arrive at their detsination.</p>

<p>Just keep alert and you will be fine.</p>

<p>Like most visitors my experience extends to Manhattan up to the top of Central Park, and areas of Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey close to the rivers. I have never felt remotely uncomfortable anywhere in those areas in daytime, on the street, on the subway, on buses, the PATH or wherever. Later at night I've tended to stick closer to "home" which generally means Manhattan and again, I've felt perfectly comfortable in and around those areas with a tourist or "quality" atmosphere. The rest may be OK too- I just don't have much experience to offer. Typically I'll be out alone very early in the mornings- either on the subway or if no convenient line to my destination, then in a taxi. Again, no problems. Just behave the way you would anywhere else really. </p>

<p>I don't put my camera down. Its pretty much always on my shoulder as I work and the bag is configured to allow me to change lenses, cards, batteries or whatever without putting the bag down. I don't feel any more at risk in NYC than anywhere else, but some things you do based on consequences, not on risk.</p>

• 2 weeks later...