Lens Recommendation in 360mm range

kcrisp

Using my 14" Ektar on my Canham 5X7 is a little ridiculous. Any

suggestions (money is an object) for a lens in this focal length that

will cover 5X7 with at least a little movement. I can live with a

sharp lens which is not the latest in multi-coating. Thanks in

advance for your suggestions.

I'm using a Schneider 355 Repro Claron in the older Compur compound shutter. A single coated lens from the late 1960's it is startlingly sharp and much smaller than all the Copal 3 types. There are also APO Ronars around which is the same lens formula but even smaller than the Schneider in the now defunct Compur #2 shutter. The Compur #2's are bigger than a Copal 1 but much smaller than the 3. About the same size as the old US #3's but metric. Both mentioned would JUST cover an 8X10 but excel on 5X7.

kevin, a 14" Artar would make a good alternative, not much room on an 8x10 but should have plenty on a 5x7. A lot smaller and lighter than my 14" Ektar and really quite bright on the gg considering wide open its only f9. If you can stand an uncoated lens, the APO Artars go for pretty cheap prices. Probably (maybe?) cheaper than some of the other lenses already mentioned---I'm thinking $300-400 max in a working compur shutter and excellent glass. A red dot would generally cost more and offer more contrast and less chance of flair, but I find the uncoated APO quite useable. Another piece of vintage glass that'll cover 5x7 is the coated 203 f7.7 Ektar going for $210-250 in a good Supermatic shutter. You've got a lot of good recommendations so far, these are just two more to add to the list.-------Cheers!

One more option that has not been mentioned is the Docter (Zeiss Jena) Apo

Germinar. The published specs are nto correct in terms of its coverage, it

covers way more. I can't give you exact numbers but can tell you Ihave plenty

of movement with this lens at infinity and f22 when used on an 8x10 so you

should ahve scads at 5x7. They are no longer available at bargain new

prices but keep yoru eyes peeled for a used one. I do know that, at least a

few months ago, the View Camera Store still ahd a new one and by now may

aprt with it at a reasonable price.

This a a great performer, no longer produced since Rodenstock absorbed the

Docter LF lens production company about 4 years ago.

Cheers,

Ted

I think that you have to be careful with Artars in 4x5. I know they're used a lot in formats where contact printing is the only option, but for 4x5, they might not be sharp at infinity.

I had a 12 inch Red Dot Artar whose reputation for sharpness is legendary. But, I did not obtain good results with this lens at infinity. I obtained excellent results closeup. So, I sold it, because I needed a lens that would work well at longer distances.

The Artars are process lenses, and as such, they are designed for distances just a few multiples of it's focal length. Some were optimized by Goerz for infinity, but this wasn't necessarily indicated on the lens. I suspect Steve Grimes could optize these lenses for infinity. I know that Ron Wisner can do this, if he can get the time.

• 1 month later...
Just to follow up on this, I followed Bill's suggestion and obtained a 15" Wollensak telephoto. The lens is very big and heavy, though I suspect it is a half pound or more lighter than the big Ektar. Being a telephoto, of course, you don't have to extend the camera so far so it makes for a more stable package. I too find the lens to be amazingly sharp. I used it yesterday for the first time for a 5X7 negative that had some cattle in it, probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile away. They look like little dots on the negative. With a magnifier you can see their tails rather distinctly and count the legs and see the difference in coloration from steer to steer. This is a nice lens.