T-MAX400 and T400CN

tony_rocha

I use T-MAX films exclusively for all my B&W work (mainly using Leica

and Hasselblad equipment), but have been tempted to try some of the

C-41 B&W films like the T400CN. Would be grateful to hear from

members whether I can expect any degradation in contrast when

printing on black and white paper. Thanks in advance.

The biggest degradation will occur when you drop-kick your enlarger because the thick olive mask of TCN400 drives you nuts when using multicontrast paper.<P>

If you want to try the chromogenics <B>use XP-2</b>. Unlike TCN400 and Portra B/W, XP-2 doesn't make compromises that take into account mini-lab printing on color paper. The 3 films are very similiar in terms of look, but XP-2 has a bit more density range and is certainly the friendlier film in terms of conventional B/W printing.<P>

The Chromos are all basically low color neg films with one layer that produce long creamy highlights and soft, fine grain on conventional B/W paper. They are not the news-reel crisp, define_every_pore_in_human_skin films like Tri-X, but more in the vein of Verichrome pan. Think Panalure looking, but without Panalure or total darkness. They are best exposed around EI 200 for conventional B/W printing. Not good films for overcast skies, but wonderfull for portraits or high contrast situations. <P>

Ilford multigrade (approx grade 3) is superb with these films. A grade 3 fiber based paper works as well. Personally I prefer XP-2 to pulling conventional B/W film.

I like Tmax 400, but use the T400CN at times. Its nice for the times when you want to have BW, but need to work fast with a lab. The negs are rather delicate, scratch easily. I find that I shoot it at about ISO 200 and push 1 stop to get punchier results AT MY LAB. Your milage will vary, but I've never been please at ISO 400 with T400CN.

If you print your own... stick with the real McCoy, not the chromogenic stuff.

I'll second the vote for Ilford super XP-2 it is the most economical of the C-41 B&W when you buy it in 100ft rolls and when printed on B&W paper (which it was ment to be printed on) The results are quite good great exposure latitude and smooth tonal range, nice deep blacks and good whites. I have mine done buy the local semi Pro lab on B&W paper and I am quite happy with the results. On the other hand if you need to have this film done by a 1 hour mini lab expect most likly a green or sepia tint to the prints when printed on Color paper. buy some try it it's only a few bucks a roll.

Mark W.

Tony,<br>

I used T400CN several times but found the results rather disappointing when I did prints in my b/w lab on Ilford Multicontrast Paper. Very soft. I think that is related to the colour of the carrier of this film. <br>

Its probably alright to use this film when one wants prints from one of these 1h labs that won't process ordinary b&W.<br> <br>

Regards, Jan

Chromogenic B&W film is great for digital - it scans very well and you can use the dust removal setting on the likes of Nikon and Canon scanners. If you rate it between 100 and 200iso it gives you very fine grain with superb tonality and still has more resolution than colour neg at the same speed. But if I were in the darkroom again I would stay away from the Kodak as it still has the orange base layer -XP2 does not have this and should be better but I never did get along with it 'back in the day'and prefered the TX, TMX and TMY conventional films.

Tony,

IMHO the best of the best 400 asa remains the Kodak TRI X film printed on old traditional photographic paper. The TMAX 400 gives also very good results. Both films give the same "feeling" when printed on polycontrast or traditional photo paper. BUT, IMHO, the T400CN is on its best only on traditional photographic paper. I never got good results on polycontrast RC paper.

Good luck and best regards from Belgium.

Michel

I use T400CN almost exclusively for my B&W work. I find it produces a very smooth creamy midrange and highlight detail with finer grain than XP2. I expose it at EI 200. For conventional B&W printing you will need to stick to graded papers, though.

My darkroom is exclusively digital, however, and this film has certain benefits over conventional B&W materials. First, it seems to scan quite well. It also supports the use of Digital ICE scratch and dust removal with my Nikon film scanners, a technology incompatible with conventional B&W films.

I have also used Portra BW, intended for wedding and portrait photographers, for certain commercial jobs. The main benefit is that it will give good results when printed through the standard Portra color channels at pro labs. Kodak *does not* recommend printing this film with B&W papers and chemistry however.

To be exact, Tmax is better if you develop yourself, Portra BW if you get it printed on color paper, T400CN is also doing good on color paper, and XP-2 if you print it on black and white paper. If your lab uses a digital machine like the Frontier or the newer Noritsus, putting them in greyscale mode will make them all very similar as far as printing on color paper goes (that's what I do).

I prefer XP-2, for the slightly increased density range and its better ability to have it printed on classic B&W paper (though I normally have it done on color paper on a digital machine).