Nikon D7000 + Nikkor AF 80-200mm f2.8D IF-ED

anura1

<p>I would like to get some input (AF Speed, Sharpness etc) from those who are currently using D7000 + Nikon AF 80-200mm 2.8 D lens (two ring version) combination as I am considering adding this lens to my kit. This is mainly to use for indoor events, like my sons school concerts and may be some indoor sports events. I have a Nikon 70-300mm VR, which I use for outdoor events and I am happy with the results. I would love to have a 70-200mm VR but right now it’s out of my reach. I am from Canada and I checked with my local Camera Store for this lens to take some test shots but they don’t have this lens in stock. I can get good quality used lens for around CDN $800.</p>

<p>I have not had issues with focus speed on the D7000, but haven't really had a chance to challenge it. I used to be a photographer at NBA games back in the old days of manual focusing. I wonder how we did it? Every now and then you'd end up with a large sweaty body in your lap that you never saw coming.</p>

<p>i myself use that very lens on a D700 and it is brilliant, I shoot anything from sports to fashion with that lens. But thats a D700 and you asking about the D7000, I convinced a mate to buy this lens on his D7000 as he was not impressed with the 70-300. He shoots a lot of low light concerts and similar events, he LOVES it never stops talking about how good it is and constantly shows me his photos which turn out fantastic. So that is 2 thumbs up from us for the 80-200/2.8</p>

<p>I have the AF-D 80-200 2-ring as well, used it on a D80 before, where it's AF speed was really quite fine. The only problem is when it starts to hunt, but otherwise initial focus acquisition and tracking can be done. The D80 has inferior AF system, and a consumer-level AF motor. The D7000 would do better, and basically, the D80 already did fine.<br>

On my D300, this lens is plenty fast. Maybe the 70-200VRs are faster, but for events as you describe it would keep up for sure.<br>

If you don't kind the weight, it is a serious good lens. If you do mind the weight, there are small(er) primes in the range, but all those are fairly slow to AF (f.e. 180 f/2.8).</p>