Canon EF lenses on FTb

sam_gates1

<p>So I was wondering if there are any adapters that can allow me to use canon EF lenses on the Canon FTb film camera, which uses FD lenses. I know there is an adapter for the other way around (using FD lenses on EOS body) but I don't know if it works the other way around. Any ideas or advice? Thanks.</p>

<p>I've never heard of such an adapter. EF lenses don't have aperture rings, so you'd have no way to adjust the aperture. The adapter would have to provide not only an aperture ring, but also its own CPU (with battery) and electronics to control the lens. Such an adapter would be expensive to develop and would have a very limited audience, so I don't expect anyone to make such a thing. It would also have to be only 2mm thick to avoid the need for corrective optics -- not exactly practical, considering the electronics required.</p>

<p>There are many fine Canon FD lenses available at reasonable prices. There is very little advantage to using EF lenses on FD mount cameras. Even if you only have DSLRs for your EF lenses now, you can find used EF mount EOS film SLRs easily enough so a lens like the 65/2.8 MPE cam be used with film. The FTb series is one of my favorites. I have one chrome FTb, three chrome FTbNs and a black FTbN. </p>

<p>My advice echoes Jeff's: either pick up some FD lenses to use on your FTb, or an EOS film body on which to use your EF lenses. There is much outstanding FD glass that is readily available, and older EOS film bodies sell for next to nothing.</p>

<p>While there are adapters that enable you to use some auto aperture lenses on manual aperture bodies (Nikon G's, for example), there are none that I know of that enable the use of EF lenses on FD bodies.</p>

<p>The Canon AL-1 did a kind of electronic focus assist with FD lenses.<br /> http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1976-1985/1982_al1.html?lang=us&categ=srs&page=a<br /> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/al1/index.htm<br /> http://www.fdreview.com/camera-review.php?itemid=13</p>

<p>I wonder how many people really need this or a true autofocus capability.</p>

<p>Sam,</p>

<p>Why bother? You can pick up a modern very good EF compatible body for $30-$50 (including shipping) off eBay. People are dumping Elan 7es. I have an FD mount camera from the late eighties in great condition. I don't even bother buying lenses for it anymore. I would ignore the advice about buying FD lenses. For a fraction of the price of good FD lens you can pick up a barely used Elan 7 or better and use all the EF lenses you already have. If you don't own any EF lenses but want to pick up a couple I still advise you to pick up an affordable EF body online. Once you factor in the cost of an adapter and the fact that you are going to face some serious limitations I would just get another body. To be honest with you I've seen good camera bodies sell for less than the cost of a single EF adapter!</p>

I would agree with James Smith in the previous post and ignore the advice about buying FD lenses, as it keeps the prices down for those of us who are already in that game!

I also have an EOS630 Body, but little used as I also had a 10D on order at that time (2004). Use your EOS lenses on

something like that.