5DII not working after change of battery

poulbh

<p>I change the batts with the power switched 'On' often. I've never had a problem w/ the camera coming back on. You are using a battery grip, so I would suspect that the connectivity problem is related to the BG. Are you using a third party unit (not that it matters, the Canon BG can be buggy too, though perhaps a bit less likely than a cheap 3rd party unit).</p>

<p>If you have the problem again, I'd remove it (BG), and try to install one batt normally and see what happens.</p>

<p>There is a backup time/date batt on the 5mk2 (A CR1616 accessed under the usb/comms flaps), but I'm not really sure how or why a backup batt failure would/could cause this kind of problem.</p>

<p>Do me a favor and yourself. Don't use the third party grip. I did this for a while using the 3rd party grip on my first Canon 60D and ended sending the camera 35 days after I purchased the camera brand new back to canon to have it repaired. I have twin 60d bodies and both now use the Canon Grip and there hasn't been anymore problems. Third party batteries from eBay can also cause problems for your camera stay away from those as well. If the 5DII isn't working at all anymore and it is within the one year MFG warranty canon will fix it for free.</p>

<p>I always remove my 5D Mk I's battery with the camera on. It should not damage the camera but if the electronics somehow got into a locked state you should remove the batteries and let it sit. The CMOS circuits in the chips are like little capacitors and can retain a charge and remain locked up. Eventually they should discharge completely. If that does not work its Canon repair Jamesburg.</p>