Need some help..!! (Mamiya 645E + 80mm 2.8 C Lens)

steve_kim10

<p>Hi, I've recently bought an old Mamiya 645E and tried several rolls. But every roll was about 2 stops underexposed and I can't figure out why. The yellow numbers on the edge on the slides look ok, so I think the rolls were properely processed in the color lab. <br>

What I did was...<br>

- Set the lens mode to A to meter the light<br>

- Set the shutter speed accordingly<br>

- Set the lens mode to M to check the depth of field<br>

- Took the shots still on M mode<br>

Since the light was metered through A mode, I thought the exposure was correct even though I used M mode to take the shutter. Do you think taking the shutter on M mode can cause that much under exposure (2 stops)?<br>

This is my first time to try Mamiya medium format. Some advice and tips will be definitely helpful. <br>

Thank you..! </p>

<p>Hi, Gregory. <br>

Yes, I checked the meter on M mode and it always indicated that 2~3 stops underexposed (It was F 16)<br>

But since I metered and set the shutter speed according to the meter reading through A mode, I thought the shutter would work based on that. <br>

As you mentioned, shooting on M mode can cause some kind of "double counting". I will try to shoot on A mode. <br>

Thanks..! </p>

<p>I wish we had new letters...A & M are overused in camera context. ;-)<br>

The lens is coupled to the meter through the lever at the top of the lens. It tells the camera what aperture the lens WILL be at when it stops down at time of shot (A mode). So the meter subtracts the required amount of light from the equation since it's metering wide open. Is the notch on the camera locking with the lever on the camera?<br /><br />If you set the lens to M, it will stop down, so the camera gets less light. But it doesn't know better, and will meter assuming it is still wide open. So, shooting with the meter in Auto Exposure (A or AEL) mode, but puitting the lens in M would result in underexposure (I think).<br>

But you said you set the shutter speed manually, so that shouldn't be a problem.<br /><br />I can check my 645E when I get home.</p>

<p>I think a likely culprit is the meter coupling lug. Modifying what Gregory asked: Is the notch on the <em>lens </em>locking with the lever on the camera?</p>

<p>Other than that, either the ISO setting on the body or exposure compensation on the prism could be set to the wrong values.</p>