Wedding Photo of the Week--Bridesmaids and Groomsmen--12/5/11

picturesque

<p>I am continuing the theme assignment in this week's POW. I may even change the title, but not right away. This week's theme is Bridesmaids and Groomsmen. So post your most creative or interesting photos of these important people. Make sure it is 700 pixels or less in width and/or length - AND - make sure to enter a caption in the caption box on that page where you've uploaded. Some details about the shot would be helpful.<br /><br />This is not a contest - but simply a discussion of art and technique, with illustrations. Positive as well as constructive suggestions are what will occur. HOWEVER - IF you wish to post your image but DO NOT WANT to be considered for critique - please say so in your caption. Images that show as a link will be deleted and you'll be asked to re-post.<br /><br />Newcomers and Pros are both welcome to post in this thread. You can start discussing immediately. ;-)</p>

<p>This is an image from a wedding that I did in the foothills of The Smokey Mountains. This was everyone's favorite group image. It was not planned. Everyone was just standing around waiting for the bride and groom. I just snapped the image while I was standing around. The lighting is flat because it was cloudy and had just finished raining. In the background you can still some rain. This was not even taken with my primary camera but a Sony DSC-F717 that I had with me. No order to the image, no posing, just people being natural. They are all related to each other.</p><div>00ZhKG-421867584.JPG.fca7213268dd2cb119e56ece66b98b10.JPG</div>

<p>Bright, brightsunny day, 24-70, fill flash and really fun group. The bride is the daughter of a woman I've worked with for 20 years and known since she was 4 years old. She's a dance teacher and bridemaids are dancers/students of hers. Groom and groomsman are street artists and were a gas and really sweet. Made me realize that it's really about the emotions. Great wedding.</p><div>00ZhTT-422023584.jpg.3d55049964ae4df88bf171178b2b25cc.jpg</div>

<p>When I arrived to shoot the groomsmen, they were playing volleyball in the swimming pool so I wanted to capture something a reflective of the guys. Shot with Nikon D700, 24-70 f2.8 lens at f5.6, 31mm, 1/1000 @ ISO 1250. I wanted to stop their motion in the air and I also wanted some depth of field so the focal point was not super critical. I also sort liked the concept of 'taking the leap'..... getting married.... imagery. </p><div>00ZhTe-422025584.jpg.fe27030f903fa397e611275c928cd241.jpg</div>

<p>Wasn't sure if the request was for the whole wedding party or just the attendants, so I thought to show a formal of the Groom and Groomsmen. My typical approach is to include the environment and not crop in-camera to tightly </p>

<p>This was a tricky one because there was almost zero ambient by the time we got to the wedding party formals and sub-group shots of the attendants ... however, I figured that out prior to the wedding by looking up the sunset times on Oct 8th and knew I'd be needing more light. This was one of the last shots of the groups, and by then it was pitch dark out. Used a Quadra off-camera strobe @ 400 w/s with folding softbox on a painter's stick held high camera left, and on-camera speed-light for fill.</p>

<p>28mm equivalent, ISO 640 @ f/5.6 </p><div>00ZhUL-422033584.jpg.81662122f4cefbfa4bcdf83f48e66015.jpg</div>

<p>Bob:</p>

<p>Now that is original with men facing the wall. I may have to use that around here in East TN with some of the hillbilly redneck weddings I have done. So I am giving you official notice that I am going to use your idea.</p>

<p>This is one of my go to "fun" poses, assuming the couple is the type that seems comfy with this sort of thing. Sometimes to get it going you remind the bridal party to look shocked by what's going on. I loved though that in this the little ring bearer even got into the swing of it.</p><div>00ZhW5-422057584.jpg.c0b74c2b3dcc8df218d5094cc170d504.jpg</div>

<p>Dave,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wedding party goofing around....f3.5 38mm, 1/2500sec</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm confused by your settings. I'm not sure what ISO you were shooting at, but with that man people I would have definitely upped the F stop to at least 5 probably higher frankly, and had the ISO at the lowest possible so that I at least had the shutter speed at 1/160th. But 1/2500 seems absurd unless they were in blinding sunlight, which in the 2nd shot they seem to be. Better in those situations to find some shade to take the shots in, or at a minimum have more fill flash so they dont' get holes for eyes. <br>

Also when taking formals try to make sure everyone's faces are clearly showing. In joking around ones, I try to remind people that throwing hands up in the air may block other people's faces. Or I don't remind them of that, but take multiple exposures, hoping at least one comes out with pretty much everyone having some representation of their face in it (even if it's a little chopped off by someone else's face or arms).</p>

<p>In addition to the normal formals, I tried different set up with each wedding party. Knowing that this would be posed, I opted to tell them exactly how they should look...going from couple to couple - I seemed to get better results when I told them what expression and body language to portray - which gave them a role to play. I had the bridesmaids below were emulating the movie poster for "Bridesmaids." I've also had fun in the past with the Twilight movie poster emulations.</p>

<div>00Zhb2-422109584.jpg.f6bd504a87f502f02ba5b4feefa5a58b.jpg</div>

<p>This was a downtown Chicago wedding on a hot, hot day, complete with the iconic location sprint. Before the ceremony everyone took a break, cooled off and had a bit of sushi at the hotel. At a certain point the groom and groomsmen started telling war stories that should never be repeated, and asked me to check in on the women. As I was was walking down the hall, about to turn the corner I looked back and caught this moment. Not a great picture, but one that captured a great moment. Canon 5D, 1250 ISO, 85mm prime,1/50 @ 2.2.</p><div>00Zhf1-422179684.jpg.1ff7299de74aedc94dab465772f85904.jpg</div>

<p>Vail,<br>

The shot was taken at an iso of 250 and yes it was very bright. Also it was not a formal just fast grab...not posed... they were just doing their own thing.<br>

I don't mind shadow in the eyes....IMO gives more dimension. I don't use fill flash..i like to shoot what the eye sees.</p>