Focus prism for EOS 1ds

benqq_harris

<p>As one of my project cameras in the field I have been using EOS-1 ds for a few years now and actually never thought the focusing capacity with my work lens 24-70 L was all that great. The pictures now seem even softer. Does Canon make a prism focusing eyepiece or something like that for this camera? Maybe i missed it on the canon site. </p>

<p>Thanks for both of these suggestions. Yes Scott I think I will order the mag and Michael I'm planning to send the camera in for a much needed inspection if not adjustment as well as a shutter replacement. (Wonder if that has anything to do with it?)<br>

But I remember seeing something like a viewfinder prism that connected cross hairs when in focus--much like my old film Minolta of my yute 30 years ago--that baby never created an oof pic!<br>

so does anyone know of that kind of focusing prism for 1ds?</p>

<p>I find that MF in a body without live view is quite difficult with EOS bodies (even the old film ones like the 1V). I tried replacing the focusing screen on my 5DII for MF (tilt / shift lenses - some not Canon and therefore no focus confirmation) but the store showed me the alternative prism Eg-S but it was quite dark although good for MF. In the end since I use AF a lot and some of my lenses (e.g. 17 F4 TS) are quite dark I decided not to change the screen.</p>

<p>Part of it is learning how to focus manually. This is not a skill easily acquired by people who have used AF for a long time.</p>

<p>Unlike Philip, I have had no problems manually focusing a bunch of old lenses with adapters even on a Rebel XTi and a 20D, both small and dim viewfinders.</p>

<p>There are better screens for use with manual focusing than the default screens, too.</p>

<p>With my also ancient 5D it is even easier, but there is another factor here: if the focusing is getting harder, the pictures softer, "as time goes by", there is one kind of optical device that does deteriorate with age: namely, your own eyes.</p>

<p>With my cataracts removed, and a little simple laser touch-up work afterwards, it's amazing how easy manual focusing has once again become. ;)</p>

<p>Steven hit it finally...</p>

<p>You want to change the focusing screen and not the prism. When you say "prism", most think of the actual viewfinder prism and not a "split-prism" focusing screen. I use one in my 1Ds. First thing I changed when I bought the camera a few years ago. The 1Ds comes with a standard Ec-CIII.</p>

<p>There are a lot of options out there. Not all easy to find, and determining which one you want can be fun. Do you have the original 1Ds owner manual? Page 165 has the list of available screens at the time that the 1Ds was released (About 10 years ago?) I went with the Ec-B, the more traditional split, top-to-bottom. Its what I learned with on my first camera, a Pentax ME Super. I would have preferred the crosshair type, the Ec-I, but couldn't find one at the time.</p>

<p>Sorry for the crappy image quality. My scanner is broken and so I had to make do with what my blackberry could do.</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZZtG-413767584.thumb.jpg.a38463400e1cac24295d685f67566a78.jpg</div>