AF540FGZ broken. Any solutions?

mggm59

<p>My faithful flash has a broken foot. One of the thin plastic slabs that enter the shoe just broke away, leaving me with a barely usable flash (it still stays in place, but one cannot move the whole camera-flash group around too fast). There are four screws above it, as can be seen in the picture, so I guess it is easily removable, but I did not try yet. Did anybody have similar issues? Or know where to find spares? Or have any idea for a DIY intervention? <br>

Thanks in advance<br>

Maurizio</p>

<p>That's a bummer. I broke the foot off of my LumoPro LP120 once. It was still under warranty so I sent it back. They replaced the entire flash unit. I suppose that's easier for a fast turn-around. I'd check the warranty on the flash if I were you. The whole thing my cost you only the shipping to the nearest <em>equipped</em> Pentax service center.</p>

<p>My next flash will probably be a Vivitar 285 with the metal foot on it. Its much harder to break metal. </p>

<p>Thanks Alan, but does Pentax sell spares or would I have to ship it back and wait weeks (not to mention the cost?).<br>

Jeremiah, the warranty is gone unfortunately, and I would guess they would blame it on me anyway(which might be for turning the lever too hard, but then they should design it better...)</p>

<p>Maybe others would know better, but would Pentax care about how it was broken or would they just replace it anyway? LumoPro never asked/cared about how the weakest part of their flash was broken. It seemed normal enough of a request that they just took care of it.</p>

<p>This seems to put you in a tough position. If you've been taking advantage of the 540's advanced features you might be stuck. I don't use anything but manual flash, so my requirements from a flash are much different than many others here. :-/</p>

<p>Depends on where you are. Many Pentax distributors sell spare parts at reasonable prices. If you wish to have your flash working in no time, just contact the Pentax parts department and ask for the flash shoe. However, you will need to sent the flash in for warranty claim. Also, Pentax flash shoe is thinner than other brands so they are more fragile but might not be a bad thing because it is far cheaper to replace the flash shoe than the camera top.</p>

• 2 weeks later...