MY First Wedding...Suggestions please?

pagand314

<p>Ok well I was asked to photograph my sister-in-law's wedding in March. I'm pretty confident that I will do fine, but I would really appreciate some suggestions. ok I currently shoot with a canon t1i w/vello battery grip. I have a sigma 50mm 1.4 & the kit lens which I don't plan on using. The wedding will take place in a hotel banquet room where reception will follow.<br>

ok now I do know that I'm going to need another lens and a body. I do plan on purchasing the canon 580 whatever it's called flash(the big boy) & more batteries and memory cards. I plan on renting the 2nd lens & body, and possibly another flash. My question is.....what other lens and body can you guys recommend without breaking my wallet. Now remember all I've been shooting with has been a canon T1i. & where would be a good reputable online place to rent this equipment?</p>

<p>David--first off--suggestions for what?</p>

<p>Secondly, a back up/second camera body should be one that you can pick up without thinking further about how to use, so another t1i would be the best. However, don't know if you can rent one. Try to locate someone who has one or one that is close in use, and borrow it for the day. As a last resort, bring a pro-sumer P&S as a back up.</p>

<p>Or, rent the next model up--might be a 60D or 7D, but you'd have to rent it more than once to learn how to use it.</p>

<p>Kit lens might be fine if used with flash indoors (hotel banquet room). Your 50mm does not function well as a back up lens. If looking at a prime as a back up lens, a 35mm would be OK. Otherwise, a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 would the one, used as primary zoom, with the kit lens functioning as back up.</p>

<p>Suggestions for what kind of lens to rent. I figure I may need 2 or so. I guess I an decide with what fits in my budget by then. What may be my best bet. Any other equipment I may need to consider? I have until March to get what I need for the most part. That's what I meant.</p>

<p>Well if you are determined to rent, the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 would be the one. Use the kit lens as back up. If you buy the 580EX II, then you need another external flash. You will need the back up camera body.</p>

<p>Go to Neil van Niekerk's blog and start reading the articles on using on camera flash and bouncing. You may want to invest in a Demb Diffuser if you don't use the built in white card and/or make your own white card.</p>

David, here would be my first honest question...why were you asked to photograph it? Is it Because the bride couldn't afford

a photographer, or is it because the couple likes your work or because they feel comfy with you? If it is because of

money, add up your expected rental and purchase costs. you are likely to be in the ballpark of well over $500. The

couple might be much better served if you took your eye and money to the Internet to find them a good bargain

photographer who has done this before who will provide the images on disc with reprint rights included. Still bring your camera along with you to the wedding, and maybe even talk to

them about second shooting.

The t1i is my current backup for my 5dmkii, so I am the first to say it is still a capable body. But overall, I would just say

being pretty confident that you will do ok for something as big as someone's wedding isn't sufficient. Because what you

need before march is more than gear, it is experience. If you or the couple is absolutely sure they want to have you be

their photographer, do an engagement shoot with them, and ASAP so if they don't like your stuff they have a chance to

find someone else. Tell them to be honest with you and that it won't hurt your feelings if they don't decide to go with you.

Do these engagement shots not only in optimal conditions, but suboptimal ones as well. Do them at the same location as

the wedding if you can to give you practice and to give them a realistic approximation of what you can provide them, or at a minimum similar lighting conditions as you will likely encounter. Don't

do a 4 hour session, give yourself limited time like you would have that day. Go to a bakery, take sample shots of cakes.

Use her engagement ring to do some practice shots of a ring etc. If they still like your stuff and you still want to take on all

that is involved with post processing, etc, then ok. At least the couple and you have a better idea of what you are getting

into.

For flash, unless the venue has very high ceilings, and you are not looking into getting into doing this professionally, the

430exii unit should be sufficient for the job and is much cheaper.

If you really want to shoot the wedding your costs to do everything correctly would be around $1000. So follow the others ideas above. If you feel as though you may be out of your league for a first wedding perhaps hire a good wedding photographer and follow him/her around. Good photographers are straving for jobs, so you should be able to find a very gifted shooter. This will allow you to take pics, without paying a lot of money for new gear and rented gear, which may not work right. Rented gear usually takes a beating. You caould pick up a gifted pro in March, which is a slow season for about $500. You will need to bargain, but you will surely get your price with one of the well known photographers.

I first started following a large studio with about 8 or 9 photographers on weekends for around 2 years before taking on my first client. Now days this is unheard of. Most people go to places like Costco, buy a camera kit and they are pro's. I'm not saying this is bad, just get some experience first then you will be a proud pro that every bride wants to have as their photographer.

When you first start out you really don't know what lenses are the best for you. For example I pretty much use a very high quality zoom for 90 percent of my work. I have 3 or 4 other lenses I use but I probablably only use then for perhaps 10 shots each at a wedding.

Lots of people use primes. Thats fine with me, but I prefer mainly my 2 zooms. Another thing to consider, actually worry about is if you change lenses a lot there is more of a chance of dust contacting the inside of your camera, because of magnetic charges and you may need to correct every image by getting rid of dust spots, in post using photoshop or something. Some photographers on this site shoot 6000 to 8000 images. I shoot about 600 plus and I'd still hate to edit 600 dust spots. So this is why I hardly ever change lenses.

I think it is great you are wanting to take on your first wedding. Follow everyones advice and try to practice everyday, using all sorts of lighting conditions to help you prepare for the unexpected. I think you can do this with lots of reading wedding books and practicing pretty much every day.

If you want to do this as a living I would still be careful what you buy, so you don't wind up trading them in for 1/2 the value.

<p>I rent from borrowlenses.com pretty frequently. It's really the best way to put a lens or body to the real world test before you buy it. I second the suggestion for the 17-55 2.8. I have owned it for about 2 years now, and it stays on the body most of the time, that is when I am not renting the 16-35 2.8. That would be my top choice, but it's much more expensive. I could shoot a whole wedding with the 70-200 2.8, or another long lens, and either of the wide lenses. I have found after going over images at the end of the day, sometimes I only use the 17-55 2.8 and my 85 1.8. It just depends a lot on your shooting style. See is you can find someone to second shoot for in the meantime. It has been the absolute best learning experience for me.</p>

<p>Why does every post about somebody asking for help on wedding photography asked to look for another photographer to take the weddings?</p>

<p>There might be many reasons for the couple to ask the OP to photograph their wedding including giving him the chance to learn from first hand experience?</p>

<p>While all that you folks say is true and good advice why do you have to always assume that the OP doesnt know what they are doing? This person is asking advice about what might be good choices for renting a second body and lens. He did give what he is using and he already said he is confident he can do it. So why the negativity? Why do you have to pounce on the issues of a first wedding instead of gently reminding of the issues and helping solve them?</p>

<p>Most of the other forums in Photo.net are encouraging and try to help, but this forum is always brutal and packed with negativity!</p>

<p>When i started out the person who gave me the first job was a person who understood my level of competence and still asked me to do the job (No, it is not a wedding, still learning to be able to do a wedding safely). It cost them the same, but they did as a friend to help me grow. The photos came out great. I did not have the confidence in myself that they had in me and that opportunity allowed me to grow. If I had posted about that situation here I am sure i would not be doing photography now.</p>

<p>What I would suggest is have a First Wedding Photographer guide - Explain the reasons why a person should NOT take an assignment like wedding if they are not ready - All the negativity and then in your post just link to it so that users dont have read through tons of these negative remarks and can get to the right answers that you all still provide.</p>

<p>For examples:<br>

Vail's coments in the first two paragraphs can be in the guide rather then in the remarks. His last comment was useful to the OP's dilemma and should be in the thread.</p>

<p>Bobs comments about Zooms and dust is still relevant to the OP's dilemma of what lens to rent, but the rest of the post can be in the guide.</p>

<p>I feel that the value of your opinions are diminished by the negativity at the start of your posts.</p>

<p>Thank You <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=852294">Sravan Nerella</a>. :-) I was looking for only suggestions that could help me out & not discourage me. Believe me, I know it's a big occasion & wether I am getting paid to do it or not, really isn't relevant. I was chosen for their personal reasons and after a long hard thought & encouragement from my wife, I decided to go with it. There are certain things I will purchase & certain things I will rent. So whatever I may purchase now, eventually would have been purchased later. Photography has been a passion of mine since I was a child and I decided to fully persue it as of last year. There are alot of lessons to be learned and everything can be a learning experience. Wether I or anyone for that matter tags along with a professional photog for 2 years following his/her move or not, there is always the possibility that it can turn disasterous. This is my passion and wether I am good at it or not, I will continue to pursue it. I have until March and believe you me, my camera finds it's way in my hands on an almost daily basis. So I'm not worried about practice. I will get it:-)<br>

So a 17-55 2.8 sounds like it may be my best choice? Now I hear different things about the 50mm 1.4. I mean it's a fast piece of glass & i read oh I forgot where that someone had shot a whole ceremony with a 50mm. I mean if I can't use it, I can't use it, but I sure would love to somehow along the line during the day. I mean I can always get a telephoto lens for my iphone. <a href="http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-telephoto-lens/">http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-telephoto-lens/</a> :-D alright all jokes aside. I appreciate all the feedback & any other help you guys can provide me.</p>

Sravan Nerella wrote "Why does every post about somebody asking for help on wedding photography asked to look for another photographer to take the weddings?."

Because if the photographer that has never shot a wedding, messes up, or doesn't get any decent shots, the bride and groom miss out in a lot of wonderful memories. Why should the photographer spend $1000 of her/his money to shoot a wedding one time and has no interest in ever doing this again?

Save your money, have a few drinks with the friends and families. Sit down for a nice dinner. Let the pro suffer from not eating and nothing to drink.

What happens if the friend gets sick, has no idea how to take a photo in a dark room and the lens can't focus on anything. Oh yeah that was the first dance, same thing happens with the father daughter dance, the lens can't focus. Opp's Maybe next time the friend will get the shot. Maybe not...

The friend does something wrong and every image is missing? What do you do? Say sorry? In the past I've fixed many screwed up cards just from people on this site. Most, not all of the screw ups were the fault of the photographer.

It takes a lot of practice to get good and hiring a pro is a wonderful way to get into the business.

This is why I suggested to practice everyday and to read a lot if the person wants to do the job.

Sravan - I do aree with you that we shouldn't discourage people from taking on a wedding. I often fall into this grey area.

Why is it gray? An example..Before photography I was a pretty darn good musician, the kind that can make money!! Well before a really difficult concert, when with Cher she got sick so the entire band had to change key; which really means the notes you've played for the last 6 months are now different and there is no music written.

Well music is like photography. If David and others work for a few months everyday, understand their gear, lenses, the limits of flash ranges, when not to use high ASA/ISO's such as 6400 to ASA/ISO 50, and when you should use it, becomes together with knowing your gear. Practicing.

If David wants to do this he has several months to make it happen. So in this case I totally agree with you.

However, what scares the heck out of me is often the persons first wedding means they probably just recently got the camera and I fear the lack of knowledge going into the wedding.

Funny story...A close friend named David, leaving his last name off, because he may not approve. Well he shoots for Outdoor Photography, several calendar companies, and even National Geographic! I asked him to help me on a wedding. Without any hesatation it was a firm h@.ll no! I do have to say he would be a good one, but recently we were shooting dragonflies and he fell into the water. $12,000 of gear was lost. A few weeks later he did the same. I bought him one of those kids waders as a joke. Glad he had insurance. It's also a bit weird for 2 normal people to go in swamps and try to shoot a dragonfly.

I think the board entrees here needs to help people and I have often not been supportive for first timers. I suppose if no one has money then jump in and study hard.

Here's a pic of a dragonfly, which I now have total respect for. Just like weddings.

My second point here is first weddings don't have to mean their first camera to do a first wedding. Some people doing their first wedding may have 75,000 nature images in stock, such as my friend Dave.<div>00Zeg0-419139584.jpg.8a3a1ccc0523a42c0a2a59d04b6e93a3.jpg</div>

<p>Sravan--please read the following thread.</p>

<p><a href="00ZZFi">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00ZZFi</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why does every post about somebody asking for help on wedding photography asked to look for another photographer to take the weddings?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because many times, the person asking does not really know what they are getting into and it shows, by the kind of questions being asked. Experienced pros can usually predict the problems waiting to happen.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There might be many reasons for the couple to ask the OP to photograph their wedding including giving him the chance to learn from first hand experience?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed. However, usually the reason is because the couple is short of money and/or does not realize that good wedding photography takes more than just having a good camera and an interest in photography. Most couples do not think of their wedding as a testing ground for their friend to make mistakes with.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>While all that you folks say is true and good advice why do you have to always assume that the OP doesnt know what they are doing?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't. However, it usually becomes apparent with the kind of questions being asked.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So why the negativity? Why do you have to pounce on the issues of a first wedding instead of gently reminding of the issues and helping solve them?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>See the linked thread. Being overly encouraging can be construed as a disservice to the new wedding photographer.</p>

<p>As has been pointed out by veteran wedding photographer, Marc Williams, other forums are gear forums. Wedding photography encompasses not only gear, but business, and weddings cannot be 'done over', like most every other kind of photography job, save for photojournalism and events (not a life and death situation).</p>

I've offered many times that if people whish some help learning simply write an email. This is actually a good time, the slow season.

Just an idea here. Perhaps Nadine can have another catagory, each week as well, but seasoned photographers can post something like 10, more, less, or even 1 image about a recent wedding. The photographers could cover lighting posing, anything Nadine would like to choose. The list can go on for a long time and when newby's want to know what to do for a first wedding there will be tons of written info and photos to go along with. Anything from hotel weddings to campsite weddings, rainy days to 115 degree days.

Perhaps people with and without wedding experiences can take a look at this special site. Nadine, don't hate me for thinking about this and adding more work.

David, the thing that helped advance my skill in photography MOST (other than helpful advice on photo.net) was second

shooting. If you have someone who knows their stuff and is willing to teach you a thing or two and to critique your images

with you afthatched wedding, that will probably be a vastly more enjoyable experience or you too. FAR LESS stress on

the second shooter as well. I didn't apprentice for years, although that would have been nice ;). On a side note...I have

taken on three different second shooters who had no professional background in photography. One shot with an XS the

other with T3i the last with a d40 at first then now has a d7000 and is starting her own portrait business.. They concur

that they have learned FAR MORE that way than if they had just been thrust into it themselves. They want to second

shoot more so they can learn more.

For your 50 1.4 I have the canon version. I don't know if the sigma version is as amazing as it, but the dof you get from it

should still be similar. If you are doing individual portraits as they are getting ready I would use this lens, with the crop

factor on your body it will be like using an 85mm. Focus on the eyelashes and play with that razor sharp dof you will get

at 2.0 or lower. You can play with natural light in this realm usually. Use it for ring shots. If you are stuck in a low light

situation and you can't use flash, use it. If they have some neat details that are lit with cables like centerpieces, use it to

capture the ambient light. It is an absolutely fabu lens for details and portraits. The benefit of the lens Nadine spoke

about is that I believe it is made specifically for an aps-c body like the t1i, so the images look like the focal lengths they

were shot with. I would suggest trying to stay away from the wider end until or most shots. Most of us when we start out

tend to shoot wide more often than we probably should.

Sravan, I always try to be positive and polite on this forum, but while being realistic at the same time. For example on the

post before this one, the OP said she didn't want to have to sort through too many photos after the wedding so how many

should she take. I politely said, at this point you took the responsibility of this wedding so don't skimp on taking shots and

suggested she try a trial verion of LR to speed up the post processing. Many people agree to do a wedding without

thinking through all the ramifications. Just the sheer amount of work outside of just clicking your shutter that day. I just

try to give a realistic view of what they should expect and to let them know there is nothing wrong with helping a friend

find a more experienced cheaper photographerand encourage them to see if they can 2nd shoot. But if some one has

said the wedding is tomorrow, I wont say go find someone else,I will do my best to give them a crash course and will pray

they don't crash and burn. Lastly, I am a she...not a he :)

<p>David--forgot to respond re the 50mm. When 'someone' claims to have photographed a whole <strong>wedding</strong> with a 50mm, they usually mean 'with full frame'. A 50mm lens (or the equivalent) was indeed used to photograph whole weddings long ago. It can still be done. On a cropped sensor camera, 50mm is equivalent to 80mm, and it is difficult to photograph a whole wedding with that focal length (80mm). Not saying it can't be done, but you'd perhaps have to compromise re the typical framing for things.</p>

<p>When someone claims to have photographed a whole ceremony, that isn't as difficult, with a 50 (80) on a cropped sensor camera. Again, certain things, like the processional, might have to be photographed with different framing, depending upon space available.</p>

<p>The 50mm will certainly be useful. I did not mean to imply that it wouldn't be. Just not for everything that happens. The range provided by the 17-55mm is the most useful and convenient, which is why I suggested it. Of course, the 50mm is useful in low light, such as during a indoor/church ceremony. And longer focal lengths are useful too. However, one could photograph entire weddings with the 17-55mm.</p>

<p>David - it is very relevant if you get paid or not. If you are paid from the couple at all this puts you into a professional group. You are generally expected by most venues to carry liabablity insurance of min of 1M per incident. If something were to happen and you were the cause or persumed cause the venues insurance would expect you to pay up through your insurance. <br>

I would strongly advise you to find a local wedding photographer and ask to tag along to take photos. This will give you an idea of pace and flow.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>To answer this questions While all that you folks say is true and good advice why do you have to always assume that the OP doesnt know what they are doing?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>if the OP doesn't know the name of basic equipment or is saying things which pros knows is nonsense... they jump to the place of knowing how this could turn out.<br>

I have noticed that we have asked first timers to come back a post images from their shoots - I have yet to see this happen. If it was me... and the images were great - I would be in your face "look what I did" to this forum... never seen it happen. I often wonder what happened... was it a good shoot or did they walk away in shame?</p>

<p>I think that anyone who has a passion for photography shoudl persue it... I think that is amazing. And it's more than passion - the personl who says what should my settings be? or I'm getting a flash - this are the most basic of basic questions and I would hope that someone would do thier homework and research before asking such basic questions on any forum. </p>

<p>I would strongly encourage David to know how to use all of your equipment - whatever you are going to rent to rent it before hand - and know that any money spent in rental is for learning and toward your education. Tag along with a couple of pros prior to the shoot and learn as much as you can in a live wedding so you are prepared for this wedding.<br>

I would also love to see your work once you have shot the wedding.</p>

<p>Wow! I must say this is a very touchy subject. Many of you feel very strong about the "hiring a professional." Everyone here was once at that what do you call it? Amateur phase. Not knowing the difference from a nickle and a dime, but eventually one way or another learned enough that somewhere down the line he/she was willing to take that risk. I feel very confident with knowing my camera and I'm very eager to learn new and different things. Yes I know I still have much to learn with post editing. But that is something that I am working on currently. Maybe I would be biting off more than I can chew. I know many would agree. But I do want to say something.<br>

I have reached out to many photographers in my area(CT that is)to look for guidance or to see if they would need a helper. Anything that could help me better myself with photography. I've inquired if there could be someone that can teach me. Obviously I would pay for their time(within reason). And I have gotten no response. I can not afford college. So let me ask you this. Do you think it is wrong for me to go for the gusto? That's the only way I see myself learning. I read alot and practice alot with my camera. I've owned my camera for about a year, but I have been using cameras prior to that. So I am not the newbie that just got out of BestBuy thinking I can conquer the photography world. But I also know I am no professional.<br>

I posted this looking for advice re: equipment, not all this other information that I read many times before. Now don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the input, but I rather spend my money on equipment that I would use over and over again and learn from, than to pay double for someone else to shoot it and here I stand with probably 1/1000th more knowledge than I started out with. Because frankly if I'm going to drop 500 plus on another photorapher to take the pictures, well dammit I want a crash course along with that. And quite frankly I'd probably just be carryng his/her bag and I'm really not feeling that.<br>

Oh heck this post has been a learning experience reading all this feed back and I'm not upset about any suggestion for me to stand on the sidelines. All I'm trying to do is move ahead and I am sure you all understand that. By the way, The Patriots are kicking the Eagle's asses! Just thought I would throw that in there.</p>

<p>David - I would encourage you to go to <a href="http://www.ctppa.com/">http://www.ctppa.com/</a> and check out your local Professional Photographers Association - our local group has a mentoring program - they may too. To tag along at a wedding is not carrying the pros bag - that is an assistant - his or her crew will be there even if there is a tag along - tag along is in addition to them to shoot and learn.</p>

<p>If you don't think you can learn from carring someone's bag you are mistaken. You can learn a ton about posing, lighting, which lens to use, how to set up the shot and how to interact with the client. College does not teach you how to shoot a wedding - many of us learned by working with pros - then went out on our own... many of us have seen many well intended really good photographers fail at shooting a wedding. It seems so simple... yet there are many aspects to shooting a wedding. I think that the reason you are getting flack is because those of us who have been in the business for a while get calls quite often from crying brides who allowed well intended photographers to shoot their wedding and end of with images which are horrible. Many new photographers get so caught up in the idea they can fix it later that they dig themself a hole they cannot get out of. There is not much the collective group on the forum has not seen.</p>

<p>I'm not saying that any of this would be you - what I am saying is we see it all the time. Knowing your equipment is as important as knowing how to shoot a wedding, knowing how to set up formals where they look good and not just in a straight line, knowing how to pose a bride for her wedding day portrait, knowing how to get excellent b&g portraits and how to effectively shoot a reception and know all of the things which can and do go wrong. Know how to get detail shots of rings, cake and other close up shots with a macro lens. </p>

<p>I would guess that in most pros bags there are 3 camera bodies (at least 1 pro body most have 2), 2-4 flashes, 2-4 modifiers, 1-2 light stands, 6-12 lenses, 4-10 CF cards, and a bunch of there fun things to add to their creativity. Most photographers I know who are just starting out with second shooting have 2 bodies and 4-6 lenses and at least 1 flash. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> Do you think it is wrong for me to go for the gusto? That's the only way I see myself learning. I read alot and practice alot with my camera. I've owned my camera for about a year, but I have been using cameras prior to that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes you can learn this by going out and just shooting a wedding - and you may be wildly successful - and there are so many variables to shooting a wedding that experiences says you will miss important shots - you will under and or over expose shots to the point of no fix - you will have more than a few important out of focus shots - you will be exhausted at the end of the day both mentally and physically. </p>

<p>I'm not suggesting you stand on the sidelines - I am suggesting that your passion and ego should not be bigger than getting beautiful shots for this b&g day - there are no do overs.... you have to be humble when you are chosen to be a photographer for a couples wedding as this is their most important day of their life... that is something I never take lightly and I keep my ego and passion in check as it can get in the way of my creativity and techinical skill.</p>

<p>and btw if you have never shot a wedding - you are a newbie....</p>

<p>Again good luck - please let us know how it went...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1. Absolutely everyone has gone through their amateur phase. And it is good to eagerly learn. However, to learn on a wedding is not responsible. As has been said--a wedding is not easily repeated. If you screw up, you can't do it again. You can also get into a lot of trouble, with both strangers (as clients) and family and friends, whether you accept pay for the wedding or not.</p>

<p>This is why in the past, would be wedding photographers assisted and then second shot with established photographers to ease themselves into the business. If they made bad mistakes, the mistakes wouldn't have huge consequences. This way there is no risk to be taken. After training, a wedding photographer can confidently begin to shoot weddings on their own, and NOT commit big errors.</p>

<p>2. Feeling very confident with your camera does not mean you can successfully shoot a wedding. There are people who do, of course, but if you have never shot a wedding before, 'you do not know what you do not know'. And you have to get it right the first time. As Francie says, if you've never shot a wedding before, you are a wedding photography newbie. It isn't rocket science, but experience goes a long, long way.</p>

<p>3. I think it is wrong for you to go for the gusto if you regard the opportunity merely as a learning experience. Or merely as an opportunity to add to your gear collection.</p>

<p>4. I don't have the same opinions about people who are shooting for family and friends who truly wouldn't hire a professional anyway, IF the bride/couple truly does not expect the same kind of work as she would have gotten from a professional. This is why I sometimes just answer the question(s), as I did above.</p>

<p>David, give serious consideration to paying a pro to shoot the wedding on the condition that you second shoot and get some good instruction. Interview pros until you find one you get along with and who seems genuinely willing to teach you while the two of you work. This is really an excellent idea, and you seem to be missing the value of it. If you find yourself "standing on the sidelines" and finishing the day with "1/1000th more" knowledge than you started with, then you're working with the wrong pro. </p>

<p>To be sure, not every pro is willing or able to teach you as you shoot the wedding. But if you do hire a pro and shoot along side him or her, then you have a full day of opportunity to learn by observation and participation, and you also significantly increase your chances of delivering satisfactory results to the bride and groom.</p>

<p>Let us know what you decide to do, and how it turns out, would you?</p>