Archival print processing, way down the road.

dan_craig1

I've got a set of prints I made about three years ago, that at the

time I wasn't terribly fond of, but after pulling them out recently I

thought them worthy of consideration.

The problem is this: I didn't process them archivally. They were

fixed "enough" and then washed briefly and then dried. Luckily

they aren't showing any signs of contamination, but I'm

wondering if it's too late to save them. Anyone have any ideas

how I should proceed?

Many thanks

Dan, I'm assuming that these are prints made on FB paper. Rinse the prints in running water for about five minutes. Treat them in a wash aid, such as Permawash, then selenium tone them for archival permanence. Wash aid again (Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner contains sodium thiosulfate), then final wash in an archival washer for about 30 minutes. Dry and flatten them as if they were freshly made.

Before anyone calls me out, Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner contains ammonium thiosulfate (rapid fixer), not sodium thiosulfate, as I mis-stated. I'm trying to get used to using this new Dell "super computer". It's connected to a DSL line, and it reacts a lot faster than I do. It's like driving a Ferrari. Please excuse the error. Also, Dan I do not recommend any further fixing, since you stated that the prints were already fixed and not showing any signs of contamination.

I have read somewhere that if prints aren't fully washed within a time period of many hours, some of the fixer/silver chemicals will convert to other chemicals which will not wash out. I wouldn't count on rewashing several year old prints to give them an expected lifetime that will match the lifetime of prints that were fully washed at their creation. Refixing and rewashing, using hypo clearing agent, won't hurt and might help.

Are these prints on fiber or RC? How fresh was the fixer?