leica x1 vs fuji x100

omar_hadi

Comparing the Leica to the x100 is reasonable, but the 5D2 is a separate animal, entirely. Both the Leica and the x100

have APS-C sensors and both have 35mm equivalent FOV. I have the Fuji and preferred it for cost, the fantastic OVF,

and the lens is slightly faster than the Leica's (2 vs. 2.8). I have not regretted my decision for a second. The image quality

is fantastic and I have found that I am using it more than my SLR these days. If you put a "cheap" 50 mm on your SLR,

you will get a completely different FOV. The 5d weighs more, but has better battery life and will do better (presumably) in

low light as even a nifty fifty has a faster aperture and on FF that will let in a lot of light. You will also have almost twice

the resolution. I think any of your choices are reasonable, but you should try out the Leica and the Fuji and compare it to

what you have to make your decision.

Both Leica X1 and Fuji X100 are in the DPreview studio comparison tool, so you can judge for yourself. Look at RAW too, because the Leica JPEGs are oversharpened - you can see halos everywhere. I added Sony A77 because the NEX-7 will be similar: competitive with the other three until ISO 1600 at least.

Effective focal length would be my main concern, because all your choices have topnotch image quality. Personally I would not want to travel with only a 50mm lens (not my favorite perspective).

<p>I have used 5d and 5D Mk II with 50mm/1.8 in travel with great results. For a long while it was my carry-on kit in a small bag (until it was stolen).</p>

<p>I also have S95 for even lighter travel and I have been very happy with the camera and its sensor, not so much with the lens though. Slow at the far end and substantial perspective distortion.</p>

<p>Right now I am experimenting with Olympus E-PL2/ + panasonic 20mm. Very nice combination and extremely happy with results. but not pocketable like S95. I think this combination beats Fuji and Leica in most respects except very high ISO (3200) performance.</p>

<p> </p>