Wacom Graphire3 vs. Intuos4

<p>I've finally decided to train myself to use a tablet input device in lieu of a mouse. So, I got out an old Graphire3 and connected it into my computer running Windows7 and PS CS5-64-bit. There is a bit of a learning curve since I only used the Graphire3 briefly 4-5 years ago with Elements. However, a few friends have mentioned that I should look into the Intuos4 since it is more responsive, has more features and handy hot keys. After reading the reviews, I am a bit tempted to ask Santa for the Intuos4 (small). This would just be for photo editing and not for painting or any type of graphic art application. <br>

So, I was wondering if there really is a great benefit to upgrading from the old tablet to an Intuos4. I know the Intuos has more pressure sensitivity control, supposedly a better surface and a more comfortable pen. But, can anyone tell me about other features and ease of use? Is it worth $199?<br>

Thanks in advance.<br>

RickO</p>

<p>unless there is a christmas-time or significant $$$ saving, I might suggest using the Graphire for a bit and really deciding if the tablet is what you want to use. I only say that because I have an Intuos3 that is sitting in a drawer mostly unused but then, I really have not 'committed' to using it.</p>

<p>The precision of a pen is hard to beat for photo editing. That said I actually downgraded from a large Intuos to a smaller Graphire for several reasons.</p>

<p>It turned out that most of my applications didn't take advantage of the Intuos's advanced features such as tilt sensitivity. I also found myself using only a portion of the tablet area, so overall the Graphire was a better fit.</p>

<p>you should ask Santa for a Bamboo (the bigger model, around 8x6 active area) .. cost around 200$, come with Photoshop Element 8-9 (normally 1 version behind the latest one).</p>

<p>More than enough for most if not many user.. it also have some key to set as shortcut.. that i dont use at all, nor do is use the one on my Intuos either.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with Patrick: the Bamboo Create, for around US$ 180, offers a great bang for the buck. I'd get it instead of the Intuos4 in your situation. The Intuos4 is more rugged and precise, but for occasional usage the Create works perfectly fine and has touch input, which comes handy in any OS or program that supports gestures. Take a look at this <a href="http://gearoracle.com/guides/how-to-choose-wacom-pen-tablet/">Wacom tablets guide</a> if you want a more in depth comparison between models.</p>