Strange ERR message on D3 with 24-70

blairhall

<p>Ok so... just got a replacement (brand new) 24-70 f/2.8. The previous one got damaged. When I take a shot with the 24-70 on the D3, I get an ERR flashing on the top LCD. If I twist the lens (not forcefully) counter-clockwise while I shoot, the ERR doesn't show up. The lens takes photos and focuses just fine, and does so even with the ERR msg flashing, so I'm assuming it's not a blown shutter (which it appears from online searches, is often the cause of the ERR). I've mounted my 70-200 and it works fine, with the exception of... a couple of times it stayed stopped down after taking a shot, so my viewfinder winds up dim. The 14-24 was just great with no issues.<br>

So I'm wondering what the problem might be... some kind of lens mount error, or the new copy of the 24-70 is a dud? If there was an issue that popped up with the 70-200, maybe it's a lens mount problem, but it's a bit odd that it generally only affects the 24-70.<br>

I'm assuming a trip to Nikon for repair, but does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Purely for curiosity's sake!<br>

Cheers!</p>

<p>inspect the lens electrical contacts ... the pins should move if you press on them .. believe there is spring tension in them .. and they should all "feel" the same; ensure that a pressed pin properly bounces back when you release it ... if it feels weak or sticks a bit .. use a blower to move out the small amount of dirt/dust and then wipe the contact pins on both the lens electrical contact pins and camera body's electrical connection in front of the mirror box to ensure good electrical contact... try again. </p>

<p>The fact that you "twist the mounted lens" to get it to work makes me think it is an electrical contact issue either in the lens, the camera, or both .. also inspect the lens to camera mount itself to ensure it is properly aligned and locking. I clean these periodically .. it is amazing how dirty the camera's lens mount becomes and it still looks shinny-new .. but dirt is thin .. and it is there for the cleaning. </p>

<p>Second, make sure you eliminate such issues as low battery, etc. Should go without saying but simple things can cause significant problems in cameras .. giving intermittent errors. Use top quality batteries and check them on a battery meter (not just the camera lcd) .. I've had brand new batteries that did not pass the test a number of times .. simple wipe down usually does it .. </p>

<p> </p>