Dell or HP for new desktop?

<p>My sense is that HP is trying to find its way with their new CEO. They had decided to spin off their PC business, but now they're waffling on that decision. I'll share with you my decision. After an exhaustive search for a new computer (even looked into having one built locally), I finally decided on the DELL XPS. I did find out that if you buy an XPS system, you automatically get bumped up to a higher degree of tech support should you have to call for help. So if your budget allows it, I'd recommend that rather than an Inspiron. Having said that, if you do decide on an HP, Costco has them, and they offer a good warranty and tech support. You can also special order a computer through them. </p>

<p>As hinted above, you have to be careful buying DELL because they make machines at different 'levels' - i.e. their cheap machines are for basic home use only, and their better quality machines are more for business or pro users. I wouldn't buy from their cheaper range - we buy exclusively Optiplex or Precision models for University use and they're fine machines. Those Dell models can in theory be configured exactly to your specs (which I don't think you can do with HP)<br>

At home I actually have an HP which represented better value for money at the time than Dell - I'm fully happy with that too. In short therefore I'd say either would suit !</p>

<p>+1 for Henry's suggestion of buying the business class Dell machine. Stay away from the consumer models. The business machines are often on service contracts or leased, tend to be more reliable.</p>

<p>Another suggestion: Dell (and others) often sell "off lease" business models at a significant discount. These machines are usually 2-3 years old and typically well cared for. I have bought off-lease Dell Optiplex desktops for home use and have been very pleased.</p>

<p>I've bought refurbished or scratch-and-dent consumer Dell desktops from their Outlet several times in the past few years (before 2009) and have always been happy with them. But, if you can get U.S.-based support with a higher level machine, that may be the best way to go. (I think they do sell that support separately, though.)<br /> FWIW, I'm now using an iMac and running a couple of legacy Windows programs in Parallels on the Mac, and very, very happy with that.</p>

A bit of caution if ordering a Dell on line.

Back in 2006 when I ordered a Dell Desktop I configured a model and noted the price. Next day I came

back, and configured it the exactly the same. But this time the price was considerably higher. I then

deleted all my cookies and again configured exactly the same as before. Guess what? The price

returned to the original. Since then I configured a few Dells and was able to repeat this "price bait and

switch".

I have no doubt hat was legal and don't know if they still do that practice, but just thought I would pass

that on.

I won't try to encourage the purchase of a Mac as that was not your original question but I suggest that

after configuring a Mac to your liking, go to the Apple website and configure one of their models. Apple

wisely configured the basic models very well and the process is much, much easier. With Dell, you

have many (too many) options and sometime the basic hardware is inadequate and if not careful, that

cost rises very quickly. I relate configuring a Dell as to going to a car dear where they try their damnest

to confuse you!

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. ActuallyI forgot to click on "notify me of responses" until today. I have seen HP support declining for over a year & will probably go with Dell again. Now to configure the components...YIKES!

Thanks for your replies. I might just start asking about the desktop specs soon.

• 3 years later...