Who do you use for negative scanning?

fuccisphotos

<p>In addition to making albums for my clients who hire me as a wedding photographer, I also make albums for those who have reprint rights to their images. I have one client that only has 35mm negatives and medium format negatives. Is there any service you normally like to use for things such as this? I get this request so infrequently that it doesn't make sense for me to get a negative scanner. Any suggestions are much appreciated.</p>

<p>whoopsies! Thanks Richard. I'm in Boston, MA. I saw online a service called scan cafe, and also checked my local photoshop. I was just wondering if anyone had a service they use that they like where you probably have to send the negatives off. </p>

<p>As far as buying more equipment, that's a no can do until I move out of my rather cramped and loaded to the gunnels full of photography equipment apartment. ;) </p>

<p>If I had a bunch of negatives- 35mm or 120- to scan for a client, I'd use the scanner on my camera store's Noritsu printer. It renders very competent scans capable of producing 8x12 inch prints from 35mm film and 16 inch prints from 120 film. </p>

<p>The only thing I don't like about the Noritsu machine's scanner is that, unlike a drum scanner, you can't scan full-frame. Then again, I can't do that at home on my Nikon scanner, either. And, of course, you pay a fortune for drum scanning.</p>

<p>We charge about $10 per roll for the highest-rez scans from uncut 35mm, 120 and 220 rolls. I'll bet you could find a store with similar Noritsu equipment in Boston area.</p>

<p>I personally use H&H color lab. They do a great job. If you have the scans made at the time of processing it is much cheaper but it can still be done after. You can even call them up, card the negatives, send them in to be scanned, and have them back in a couple days. This is much more efficient than buying a scanner or using scan cafe. You are guaranteed to receive an excellent quality scan from H&H</p>

<p>Your photos show up because you have enabled the feature to allow your shots to show up there.<br>

Not sure the v500 will be you are looking for if you customers should order larger prints. The v500 is good for 5x7 inch prints from 35mm film. Anything bigger from 35mm film and a v500 becomes rather subjective and quite hard to find the balance of sharpening required for a good print without the print looking overly grainy.</p>

<p>I've not worked with the Mocrotek, but I own a Nikon LS 8000 scanner. Once you figure out how to use it, you can certainly produce excellent-quality scans. However, scans from 120 films can take me more than half an hour apiece, with each image being loaded individually into a glass carrier. There is no way a working professional would have time to scan hundreds of images from a single wedding with the Nikon scanners that accept medium format film.</p>

<p>Have you considered going with a scanning company? I recently attended Photoshop World and talked to a lot of photogs who were pretty interested in talking about <a href="http://www.gophoto.com/negative-scanning">negative scanning</a> with <a href="http://gophoto.com">GoPhoto</a> - here's why:</p>

<ul>

<li>3000 dpi is standard. </li>

<li>Negatives are scanned in the United States (CA).</li>

<li>No risk - you review all your scans in online albums and delete the ones you don't want. You only pay for the scans you keep.</li>

<li>No upfront organization needed - you can send envelopes full of negatives (or slide carousels and photo albums)</li>

<li>Free online albums that can 1-click ported to flickr, 500px (coming), etc.</li>

<li>$16 round-trip for your box of assets TOTAL. Flat rate. That's it.</li>

</ul>

<p>Scans are $.37/ea for the ones you keep, and there are also pro options (6000 dpi, TIFF, etc).<br>

GoPhoto also does <a href="http://www.gophoto.com/photos-to-digital">photo scanning</a> and <a href="http://www.gophoto.com/slide-scanning">slide scanning</a>. Same pricing.<br>

I recently sent alllllll my stuff off (3000+ photos) and did the math on how long it would have taken me to do it myself at 600 dpi (standard for photos) and it was 10 straight weeks of 8-hour weekends. No thanks!<br>

Hope this helps. :)</p>