Gitzo 340 and 345 tripod

passakorn_pananont

Has anyone expreienced with these 340 and 345 gitzo tripod? I want to

get a 345 because it's much shorter (5") and much easier to

carry/transport. However, I am concerned a bit about the stability.

The 345 has 4 leg sections compared to 3 of the 340. Theoretically, 3

section should have more stability because the bottom section will be

bigger than the 4 sections. I would like to get more info from the

real experience in the filed. Could anyone tell me about the 345..

like how good is it..is it stable enough for F5 with 300 mm lens.? I

will use it with a bogen 3410 head.

Thanks a lot for any comments on this

Passakorn,

I use a Gitzo 340 with a Kirk ball head and love it. I am 6'2" tall (188cm) and when the tripod is fully extended the viewfinder is right at my eye level, very comfortable for shooting scenics. It's pretty good for low level macro work, although shorter legs would help with placement sometimes. I use lenses up to a 300mm f4 on it and the only time I had problems with camera shake (not stability) was on top of a mountain ridge along the Blue Ridge Parkway when the wind was gusting 30 to 40 miles an hour.

I have no experience with the 345 or the Bogen head you mention.

From Gitzo's web site:

The 345 is 100g lighter than the 340, and the 345 weighs 2.8kg,

the legs on the 345 are 11cm shorter than the 340,

the 340 goes 7cm closer to the ground than 345,

the 340 extends 6cm higher than the 345.

It looks like the leg length is the only thing that makes the 345 easier to carry, since they weigh virtually the same.

If you are as tall as I am (or taller) or do a lot of macro work the numbers look better for the 340. I haven't had problems carrying mine, I've taken it to England and Mexico (I took it with me to the store when I bought my suitcase to make sure it would fit). Try out both in a store if possible and/or call Kirk enterpises, they were very helpful with me when I was shopping for tripods.

I've got the 340 with an Arca Swiss B-1 perched on top. I love this combination. After looking at the two tripods that you mention I decided to go with the 340. My reasons were: 1)it's more stable, 2)it's quicker to set up, and 3)it's just the right height for me.

If you're concerned about length when compressed then you're right in considering the 345, if the other things are more important to you then the 340 may be just right for you.

By the way Gitzo has got a rebate going until the end of the year. Buy now and get a nice check back from them in the mail!

Good luck in your quest for support.

Passakorn, I've been using the 340 with a large Kaiser ballhead and

RRS plates for about a year now & it's the best system I could find.

It handles an F5 with a 300 2.8, any of my zooms and a 501cm with

prisms & large lenses as well. Very stable & solid & for me, the

right height. Evaluate your needs & compare the two - both are very good.

Passakorn, the 340 is my all round tripod, i shoot up to 700 (500+1.4x) with it in the field, "it's an oak". I also shoot with a 410 (same pod only bigger)when i don't have to far to hike etc. The 345 has an extra set of legs to open to get to full extension, why bother with that when you could be exposing film quicker with a 340?

I just recently bought a Gitzo 340 from B&H, and I am very satisfied with its build quality. It's very stable, and the handling is great. I am 6'1", and the height of the tripod is just right for me. Some people always complain how hard it is to set up a Gitzo, but I don't see any problem with the 340. Even if you wore thick gloves out in the cold, it doesn't take more than 1 minute to set things up. The wings on the upper leg section are just great.

As for John's question, 340 is the old model, the newer models have a "1" in front of the old model number. The nickname is MK II.

BTW, Gitzo is offering huge rebates on those old models ($65 for old legs vs $40 for new legs for 3 series), B&H price for 340 is only $207 after rebate.

John,

The price for 340 (the old model) @ B&H is 271.95, and there is a $65 rebate.

It doesn't come with the center column. If you want a center column, you're better off with the 341.

341 gives you more option, and it provides the extra height. I chose 340 for weight, simplicity, and price.

The price of 341 B&H quoted me through email was $344, so after rebate it's $279.

When purchasing stuff from B&H, keep in mind that price on many items are lower than what they advertise on their site or catalog.

Probably it's the competition, or probably they aren't able to update prices as often as they can.

• 3 months later...
I love my 340. It's been replaced by the 1340, which has metal spikes (adding 1/2 lb. weight) under the removable rubber boots, and two white lines around the lower leg to supposedly speed up set-up. By the way Alan, I bought my 340 from B & H the same day as your post, 11/5/99, and paid $297.50, minus a $65 rebate from Gitzo. By the way, I use mine with a Gitzo 1321 leveling base underneath my various ballheads, and love the leveling base, too.