Trigger for 270EX II

<p>I have a Canon 5D Mark II which does not have Master capabilities, unlike some newer models and the 270EX II flash. The 270 EX II flash has great potential and can trigger the camera as an infrared remote but will not itself fire because the camera does not have the master function. What compact alternatives are there to trigger the flash other than Canon's expensive ST-E2? What is the most compact flash with Master function? I am looking for something smaller and cheaper than Metz 58AF-2, Nissin Di866 Mark II or Canon's flagship. Currently, I am leaning toward the ST-E2 knockoff YongNuo ST-E2 (around $120) but would consider a compact flash with master function built in. My intention is to use this for a light off-camera set-up when traveling.</p>

<p>The Yongnuo ST-E2 is very nice and has some neat features but is pretty much worthless as far as the focus assist feature is concerned. In order to use the 270EX II in the Canon wireless system you'll need a Master capable unit (it looks like you've pretty much figured this out) and the Yongnuo ST-E2 is the cheapest for this purpose that I know of. </p>

<p>What is nice about the Yongnuo ST-E2 is that you can swivel the head left and right to not only facilitate a more direct line of site with Slave flashes but it is useful when working very close to your subject or doing macro work as the IR pulse command to fire the slaves, which occurs right after the shutter opens, can show up in your image as a red cast if the ST-E2 is pointed straight ahead. Also the Yongnuo ST-E2, when using a 7D, is capable of controlling group C FEC from the wireless flash menu using Ratio A:B, C. Unfortunately the 5DmII does not have this ability. </p>

<p>The one thing to be aware of is that the 270EX II, as a Slave, is always in the A group so if you buy 2 270EX II's you will not be able to do ETTL Ratios. I have the Yongnuo ST-E2 with a 320EX and 270EX II in my travel kit which makes for a relatively cheap and compact ETTL wireless setup.</p>